• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weightlifting

Thanks for that Fadi. I have a technique session this afternoon. I promise i wont go any heavier than the bar.

In that picture of Alan (Tasagaev), would you recommend such a back leg postiion, where it's only a few cm's from the ground? I'm under the impression that it's illegal for the back knee to touch the ground. So would going Really deep be great, but not to push my luck?!

In that last picture, i'm not sure who it is...but is his feet correctly spaced apart? to me it looks a little wide, since you can see his ankles torque, but then again...

Thanks for that Fadi. I have a technique session this afternoon. I promise i wont go any heavier than the bar.

In that picture of Alan (Tasagaev), would you recommend such a back leg postiion, where it's only a few cm's from the ground? I'm under the impression that it's illegal for the back knee to touch the ground. So would going Really deep be great, but not to push my luck?!

In that last picture, i'm not sure who it is...but is his feet correctly spaced apart? to me it looks a little wide, since you can see his ankles torque, but then again...

PB, if you can get into the positions Alan gets into then you'd be laughing all the way to some amazing poundages. As for the knee touching the platform; hardly any lifter ever spread his feet wide enough to go low enough for their feet to touch anything...we can only wish!

As for one body part touching the other, it's the elbow touching the knees whilst cleaning a weight...that would be ruled as a no lift.

The last shot is also of master technician Alan Tsagaev which shows his ultra flexibility.

All the best PB.

Fadi.

PB, if you can get into the positions Alan gets into then you'd be laughing all the way to some amazing poundages. As for the knee touching the platform; hardly any lifter ever spread his feet wide enough to go low enough for their feet to touch anything...we can only wish!

As for one body part touching the other, it's the elbow touching the knees whilst cleaning a weight...that would be ruled as a no lift.

The last shot is also of master technician Alan Tsagaev which shows his ultra flexibility.

All the best PB.

Thanks. I actually finding jerking a lot easier (please read natural) than cleaning. I'm not sure why. That being said, i'm starting to get fairly low down when i do a split jerk. I'll post up a vid eventually.

I've been looking into Alan's work. He's damn good hey!!! I did a technical training session last night. Covering foot placement with some work done on the sn & cln.

Fadi's advice is identical to that of Armando's in my gym.

I think its great that you have entered a comp, well done.

Now, how long have you been lifting PB? I noticed in a post you said that your problem is not that your not strong. Your journal indicates otherwise. A 90kg squat (training weight) after a few years of lifting indicates that you in fact need to get MUCH stronger.

Dont bother with sprinting. Drill the lifts with broom sticks. Build some strength in your base (legs).....then wait.

I've observed Armando training 3 times a week and watched this 48yo mans lifts go up each week, slowly and deliberately. All he does is front squat/clean/snatch/jerk/pull/squat

Good luck big fella

Thank you.

I suspect my snatch has gone up in a month by 2.5k, as a result of better technique, mostly the use of my legs. I'm still having trouble with the third pull, getting under the bar quicker, but that's something that'll come naturally over time.

i'm looking forward to when I do a BW snatch. My coach thinks I"ll possibly be able to do that within the year. I'm unsure of what's an appropriate goal in terms of a 1RM c&j & the snatch, since...every time i fix up my technique the weight gets a bit easier to move

The comp is slowly approaching & although I know i wont be pulling any big numbers, i'm looking forward to seeing what i can do.

The comp is slowly approaching & although I know i wont be pulling any big numbers, i'm looking forward to seeing what i can do.
A very good attitude to have PB. What comp is it and which state are you from by the way (I probably asked you that before), sorry about that.

Fadi.

It's the Tasmania's president's cup comp. There's about 8 of them throughout the year. This meet is in Hobart, i think the following one is in Launceston.

We hosted the masters national competition last year, i think. I wish i had seen that!

We hosted the masters national competition last year, i think. I wish i had seen that!

This year the masters will be in QLD, I think one day after the Commonwealth Games' trials. This would be one full circle fro me as I was there back at the 1982 Commonwealth Games held in Brisbane. I was a 16 year old weightlifter who was one of 5 loaders. You'll see me at the 16 second mark sitting on the left wearing a yellow shirt.

[YOUTUBE]d_oWa6Y_2gM[/YOUTUBE]

Fadi.

Last edited:
Good luck Fadi.

What weight class are you in?

What are your goals?

What have you managed so far in the gym?

Good luck Fadi.

What weight class are you in?

What are your goals?

What have you managed so far in the gym?

Thanks Markos,

I'll probably lift in the 85kg class. I'd rather not talk about weights since I've been working on technique, flexibility, and taming my joint pain since I've been back 4 months ago. My goal is to improve on these three aspects before fully getting occupied with the amount of weights lifted. I'm taking it slow and steady Markos, and I’m enjoying the hardship (that comes with age) nonetheless.

Fadi.

All the best with your training and looking after your body over the next few months, Fadi. You'll have us all with you in spirit.

Your competitors will have similar issues with their bodies after decades of lifting, but your self awareness, knowledge and patience will stand you in wonderful stead.

(Gee, the early 1980s was a magnificent era for the moustache. I remember being at school during the Games and seeing Kabbas and Rob de Castella among others sporting luxurious 'staches :))

That was a massive mo', I"m tempted to grow one similar to that myself.

Good luck with the masters comp cheif. My squad may be headed to qld for the competition. If i can get the time off from work & other commitments, perhaps i will see you in person moving some iron!!

When i compete as a master i wont have the luxury of 'decades of training', I'll be able to hide behind a decade!! by then i should be somewhat of a good lifter!!

All the best with your training and looking after your body over the next few months, Fadi. You'll have us all with you in spirit.

Your competitors will have similar issues with their bodies after decades of lifting, but your self awareness, knowledge and patience will stand you in wonderful stead.

(Gee, the early 1980s was a magnificent era for the moustache. I remember being at school during the Games and seeing Kabbas and Rob de Castella among others sporting luxurious 'staches :))

Thank you very much for your wonderful words Nicole; you always know what to say. By the way, you mentioned being at school during the games; I was only 16 then so how old would that make you (you don't have to tell me); it's just that I was totally wrong in my imagination of you...thinking you were 22 years young (which makes you none existent during the games)!

See, I do get it wrong sometimes; you're not 22 after all :).

Fadi.

That was a massive mo', I"m tempted to grow one similar to that myself.

Good luck with the masters comp cheif. My squad may be headed to qld for the competition. If i can get the time off from work & other commitments, perhaps i will see you in person moving some iron!!

When i compete as a master i wont have the luxury of 'decades of training', I'll be able to hide behind a decade!! by then i should be somewhat of a good lifter!!

Thank you very much PB and likewise brother, I also do wish you all the very best indeed.

Fadi.

It's good to know that Robert Kabbas is now contributing back to the Australian Weightlifting Federation as the President.

I have a lot of time and respect for people like this.

Good luck by the way Fadi and PB.

See, I do get it wrong sometimes; you're not 22 after all :).
Fadi.

I'm 22 plus 17 and a birthday looming :eek:. My occasional juvenile behaviour tends to contradict my chronological age.

I was just surfing around the AWF web site and didn't realise our Governor-General is the AWF's inaugural patron -- girl power! :)

I'm 22 plus 17 and a birthday looming :eek:. My occasional juvenile behaviour tends to contradict my chronological age.

I was just surfing around the AWF web site and didn't realise our Governor-General is the AWF's inaugural patron -- girl power! :)

Well here's wishing you a very happy birthday when the looming soon recedes Nicole.

Re girl power, I find myself very biased toward females’ intelligence and demeanor. Mmmm, could being surrounded by five of them have anything to do with it...I wonder!

Nancy Witcher Langhorne Astor…anyone!
"We're not asking for superiority for we have always had that; all we ask is equality."

Simply love it

Fadi.

Last edited:
OK i need to know something. Seriously. I need to know it. It's not that I 'want' to know it. It's that I need to know it. I've been doing a lot of thinking & reading about the classic weightlifting lifts (the snatch & clean & jerk obviously). After just over a month of official coaching i've picked up on a few cool tricks, learned some better technique & gained a lot of confidence.

Over the weekend I"ve been putting a few things together mentally & I think I may have unlocked a special door in which I understand a few of the important steps when it comes to doing good technique.

Obviously me going into somewhat depth about the first, second & third pull of the snatch would be quite...well in depth as i feel I have a good understanding of them. Please note that my technique isn't as good as my knowledge.

So once in the starting position of the snatch, hands in the hook grip position, Your feet at hip width, which allows more power to be created, toes facing outwards, at somewhere around 20 degrees, the snatch begins. It begins with leading with the hip (which in effect actually moves the bar off the ground). In doing so, you take the pressure from the heels of your feet, to the balls (or toes), while attempting to stand as tall as possible. Please note that this doesn't represent a deadlift, as the arms are still more or less motionless, like chains or ropes hanging from your torso, not doing any movement.

Once the bar is lightly touching, or very close to the hip, this is when a 'high pull' motion is implemented, starting off with a shrug, while pulling the bar up. If you created enough speed while standing up & then doing the high pull, the bar should in theory become 'weightless'. That's right, the bar which technically weigh's 95kg, is now weightless due to the power you've built up.

Once the bar is 'weightless', move your feet to a wider stance & squat under the bar, still keeping your arms straight, with no bent elbows. Chest up. Arse out. Please note that the bar should be somewhat behind your ears, to maintain balance. Now that you're in the 'recieving' position of the snatch, all you need to do is stand up! Keep your chest up, your butt out, keep the weight on your heels so as to maintain balance. As said previously, stand up.

----

Is what i've said right? I'll talk with my coach tomorrow about it.