• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weightbelts, yay or nay?

andyr99

Ok so I've always been a bit against weight belts due to the fact I think they create a weak spot on your body but now I'm questioning it because I think I've had a very lucky escape I was doing heavy deadlifts yesterday and on my second rep of my second set I felt and heard a pop come from my lower back so I immediately dropped the weight and I got a little lightheaded, it wasn't really painful in the beginning but started to get worse as time went on so I went to the doctor and he gave me some anti inflammatories and painkillers anyway I woke up this morning and was surprised how much better it is I'm thanking my lucky stars it wasn't really bad but now I'm not too sure whether or not to forget deadlifts or use a belt? I don't wanna permanently hurt myself but love lifting heavy deadlifts, any advice would be appreciated.

A belt, when used properly, is not for your back. It's for your gut. Prior to your lift you should pull air into your gut and push out against the belt. This helps you to have a solid core.Think of a wine barrel with copper hoops. The hoops keep the barrel strong, its not there just to support one side.

Sounds like your SI joint went out.

Don't "forget deadlifts". The are the most important lift you can ever do. Yes, more so than squats and sure as hell more than bench. It's a full body exercise. Why do most powerlifters hate deads and/or suck at them? Cos they are the boss.

The heaviest weight ever squatted was done with shit loads of support gear. The world record deadlift (460kg) was done in shorts, slippers, T-shirt and belt cos support gear don't work much with the king of lifts. Deads will thicken you up, train your core like nothing else (try doing ab work after a proper deads workout), work your entire posterior chain from the soles of your feet to your neck, plus your quads, abs and grip. Do them and you will have girls throwing their panties at you. In a good way. Any dipshit bro can get big arms. But walk into a room with a set of Italian salami traps bunched up dere, a thick back, big hamstrings and forearms like a ships anchor rope and you gonna have guys giving you space and girls wanting you to father their children. Right now.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure whether or not to forget deadlifts

Skipping an important compound movement exercise won't protect anyone from injuries. The key is to strengthen the weak points so your body can handle much more - even in an unexpected situation (accident).

I have never seen anyone who maintained strict, proper form of exercise performing 4-5 sets of 6 reps and got injured.

Sounds like thread is Deadlift specific, but as a general rule belts should not be used at less than 80% (preferrably 90%) if we follow Hatfields advice.

Do them and you will have girls throwing their panties at you. In a good way. Any dipshit bro can get big arms. But walk into a room with a set of Italian salami traps bunched up dere, a thick back, big hamstrings and forearms like a ships anchor rope and you gonna have guys giving you space and girls wanting you to father their children. Right now.
Not to mention they will give you glutes like one of the Williams sisters

A belt, when used properly, is not for your back. It's for your gut. Prior to your lift you should pull air into your gut and push out against the belt. This helps you to have a solid core.Think of a wine barrel with copper hoops. The hoops keep the barrel strong, its not there just to support one side.

Sounds like your SI joint went out.

Don't "forget deadlifts". The are the most important lift you can ever do. Yes, more so than squats and sure as hell more than bench. It's a full body exercise. Why do most powerlifters hate deads and/or suck at them? Cos they are the boss.

The heaviest weight ever squatted was done with shit loads of support gear. The world record deadlift (460kg) was done in shorts, slippers, T-shirt and belt cos support gear don't work much with the king of lifts. Deads will thicken you up, train your core like nothing else (try doing ab work after a proper deads workout), work your entire posterior chain from the soles of your feet to your neck, plus your quads, abs and grip. Do them and you will have girls throwing their panties at you. In a good way. Any dipshit bro can get big arms. But walk into a room with a set of Italian salami traps bunched up dere, a thick back, big hamstrings and forearms like a ships anchor rope and you gonna have guys giving you space and girls wanting you to father their children. Right now.

Lol I like the deadlift cause it is the only lift that can't be cheated, there is no way to inflate your numbers but doing a lot of deads and low bar squats will not make you attractive to women a fat arse with big hams that makes your quads and calfs look small and a big back with small biceps is the polar opposite of what chicks dig.

Dont get get into powerlifting cause you want a body women desire do it cause you just wanna be a filthy strong fucker &/or lack the discipline to stay lean

Forget about abz n' broceps n' sixpax. This is what really gets the chicks in……….

diamondvipcredit.jpg

Never understood the "no belt is hardcore" thing - if your a powerlifter lifting over the 80-90% mark then chuck a belt on....