• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

WEIGHT LIFTING for WEIGHT LOSS / MUSCLE BUILD ??

D

DarkShadow

Hi Guys.

New member, so G'day to all.

Ok I would APPRECIATE as much input on this as quickly as possible as i want to kick start this off ASAP.

Basically as of now.. I'm 20kg overweight. I have high testosterone and a good family gene to build muscle.

Body uses up about 4000 calories a day including activity.. I wanted to know if this plan to lose weight but build muscle would work?

Take in about 1750 calories a day.. Working out in the gym 3 times a week but protein shake after each work out.

What I'm logically trying to do.. is use the gym work out to burn fat as energy while in the gym.. then use the protein shake to rebuild in recovery.

Will this work?

If your body burns 4000cal/day, why would you suddenly drop to 1750cals?

Once you start gaining some muscle, your body will burn more calories, so you should be able to lose weight without changing your diet if what you say about your calorie rate is true. If it is, have you been eating more than 4000 calories per day to get 20kg overweight?

Why not just drop the calories slightly to 3500?

I meant the average body burns about 4000 calories.

I want to take in 1750 so that I shed the weight quicker.

Can I do this and build muscle if I'm still taking my protein shakes post work out?

If you go from 4,000 to 1,750 straight away, the body is going to think it's starving, and not going to use your fat as energy, but rather, your muscle.

If you want to get down to that amount of calories a day, you have to do it gradually. Start taking 3,500 a day for a month. Then down to 3,000 for a month. keep going down 500 calories a month till you're taking the amount of calories you wish to take.

I read somewhere that the muscle gain doesn't burn as much as people think. 2 pounds burns 15-30 calories only.

I weight lifting ideal for weight loss? Say 3 times a week with a reduced calorie intake.

Is cardio really necessary?

No cardio isn't necessary. Burn more calories than you eat = weight loss. This can be acheived by diet and weight training alone.
Don't driop too many cals or you will loose muscle.
If you provide more stats rather than just 20kg overweight, i could help some more.
Weight
Bf %
etc etc

Age = 23
I am 98kg.
Height = 178cm
Bf % = Don't know.. but lets say about 30% cause i can slap my stomach and it'll wobble.
Diet = I eat crap all day.

I lost 25 kgs with weight training, good diet and low intensity cardio- and I did it as a female, so with a few genetic disadvantages! And working in a gym, I have to say that those that go the weights option over cardio have better, longer lasting results.

Hate to break it to you, but if your body was burning 4000 calories a day, you could eat crap all day and probably not have a weight problem. Are you confusing calories with another unit of energy measurement?

No I always thought I burned about 2500 calories.. but a website said.. thats just RESTING and that things like walking, talking, working etc brought it up to about 4000

There are quite a few good websites that will work out you calorie usage with a few simple stats. I have used Fitday.com which can be a bit fiddly if you use all of the facilities, but will break everything down for you ie calories consumed just existing, through exercise, the nutrient break up of your food etc.