• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

weight gain diet/nutrition

Maxar

Hi guys,

new to this forum, so far it looks good! :)

im 18 and male, this year just completed my HSC and i as a result ive been rather inactive due to intense study regime.

now that im finished i want to refine my diet and improve my overall health whilst gaining a bit of lean muscle mass. ive always been fairly thin, i think i have a super fast metabolism and tend to eat loads but not gain any weight. I'm *just* under 6 foot, about 67kg. I think my BMI is ok, but i would like to beef up a little bit. nothing crazy. maybe like 5-10kg at most.

i understand to gain mass i need to consume more calories than i am burning. websites always seem to recommend intense protein supplements and all kinds of other stuff. are these things safe? do they have any side effects?

what kind of foods can you guys recommend i focus on consuming? stacks of fruit and carbs (loads of weetbix?).

also if anyone knows of a nice muscle building and toning work out for the gym they can link me to it would be appreciated

thanks

Lift heavy shit regularly - deadlift / backsquat / bench & standing press.

Eat good food - by good I mean meat (beef, chicken, fish etc), veges (all types), oils (I use coconut oil for cooking and olive oil splashed on veges & salads). Try snacking on stuff like nuts (walnuts, macadamias) or fruit (esp avocado, coconut).

You don't need supplements to gain weight.

Really, I would think a simpler diet for someone starting out would be better

Seriously, 5 grams of wpi pre workout and 10 grams post. What a waste of time.

hey guys thanks for the responses!

simpler diet for someone starting out would be better
i agree, the diet looks a little complicated for me. but i will examine it and deduce the general kinds of food that seem to be in the diet.

is tinned tuna and salmon ok? or should i go for the fresh stuff?

thank you those look good!

meat (beef, chicken, fish etc), veges (all types), oils (I use coconut oil for cooking and olive oil splashed on veges & salads). Try snacking on stuff like nuts (walnuts, macadamias) or fruit (esp avocado, coconut).

thanks, i tend to eat those regularly as it is. i guess i will just increase my consumption of them. is there any particular advantage in eating them in separate small meals rather than all at or is it purely so you can take as much in as possible?

what kind of effects does jogging have on a mass gain program? will it restrict the rate of my mass gain or improve it?

thanks again

Really, I would think a simpler diet for someone starting out would be better

Seriously, 5 grams of wpi pre workout and 10 grams post. What a waste of time.
It has it place but they are sample diets, you do not have to follow it to the letter.

In time the OP will learn what's best for him.

Like pizza and ice cream is best for you.

Pizza and ice cream = ripped physique.

thanks, i tend to eat those regularly as it is. i guess i will just increase my consumption of them. is there any particular advantage in eating them in separate small meals rather than all at or is it purely so you can take as much in as possible?

what kind of effects does jogging have on a mass gain program? will it restrict the rate of my mass gain or improve it?

If that's the food you're eating already, just increase the volume.

Jogging loses weight, weight comprises both muscle and fat. Don't jog. If you like jogging, try sprint intervals instead - eg 5x 100m sprints with 1 minute rest between. Once you get good at them, try doing more of them or doing them up hill.

jogging is catabolic to muscle so yes it will slow gains.

it will also reduce the body's ability to burn fat by breaking down muscle tissue

im going to bet $100 that you said you eat lots and you don't gain, where in reality you don't each much.

Cycle your protein with PCT

jogging is catabolic to muscle so yes it will slow gains.

it will also reduce the body's ability to burn fat by breaking down muscle tissue

Half truth

Strength ---------------------------------------------- Endurance

Get good at one or the other or be ok at both....

I prefer walking over jogging for a few reasons.

1. your knees
2. jogging isnt fun