• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

We should all collectively come up with a beginners program!

kindred

Wouldnt it be cool to create an AUSBB beginner program using the imput of all the people that use the site. That way when any new people jump on and ask for a routine we could refer them to the AUSBB Beginner Routine or some such. What does everyone think?

Ok, here's one:

Squats - 3 x 8 reps
Bench Press - 3 x 8 reps
Chin Ups - 3 x 8 reps
Military Press - 3 x 8 reps
Barbell rows - 3 x 8 reps

Perform M/W/F

is the military press just the same as OH press? otherwise hulk's program looks pretty good except for the fact that body parts get worked out every 2 days (I'm a beginner and I can't take it - that's why I prefer stronglifts where chest presses done every 2nd workout (ie. every 4 days))

Also think about grouping muscles.

The classic being:

Back and Bis
Chest and Tris
Shoulders and Legs

Don't forget your core! I like to do an Abs and Lower back workout.

Not for a begginner.
begginners should d full body workouts for 6 months or until they plateau and then look at more body part specific training.

Beginners are going to look at that and think, what no biceps? They will also want a list of supplements by brand-name that will turn them into Ronnie Coleman within a few weeks.

Why reinvent the wheel, anyway? There are so many beginner programs out there, from reputable sources, as well as diet advice. Scooby springs to mind.

Maybe various routines should be stickied then like the suppliment sticky on where to get suppliments.

Just about anything works for a beginner if they stick to it.

Lift weights, go for walks or runs, eat lots of fresh fruit and vegies, some meat, fish or nuts and not much junk, sleep deep and long. If you get tired or fat then you probably have not enough or too much of one of those.

When I started with my mate back in 1993 we had no idea what we were doing. We read all the muscle mags and their routines, and we tried them. We did the biceps routine, the chest routine, the quads routine... all in one session. We were there for maybe 3-4 hours doing 100 sets. Then we'd head off to the mess afterwards and stuff our guts.

It was mad, but we got bigger and stronger quick.

I sure as hell wouldn't recommend that routine to anyone, though. What you have to do is talk to the individual and find out the stuff they like to do. And then try to balance it up so it covers their whole body. And keep it simple. You do that so they'll stick with it. Maybe this newbie will miss out on some biceps development or that newbie will be a bit weak in their hamstrings.

Doesn't matter - overall they get fitter and stronger, in their second year they can fiddle around with things.

So I wouldn't sticky any "beginner's routine" - you have to talk to the individual and figure out what they're likely to stick with. "But squats are better than leg presses!" Sure - as long as you do them.