• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Warmup and cooldown?

Mickdog

Before my weights training what warmup should I do otther than specific movements such as using a lighter weight?

Before my HIIT, sprint or hill runs what would be best, a slight jog?

Also what shold I warm down with?

Warm the movement specifically - eg if you're doing squats 'work up the weight'. I usually start with the bar and then 2-3 sets before my workset. Eg (pretending my workset is 140kg):

Bar x 10
70 x 5
100 x 3
120 x 2
Work sets...

For 'cool downs' I just like to stretch, but they're no biggie.

Warm the movement specifically - eg if you're doing squats 'work up the weight'. I usually start with the bar and then 2-3 sets before my workset. Eg (pretending my workset is 140kg):

Bar x 10
70 x 5
100 x 3
120 x 2
Work sets...

For 'cool downs' I just like to stretch, but they're no biggie.

That would double my time working out though. Not exactly what I want. Might try 1 or 2 warmup sets.

Walk on the treadmill not until you're tired but until you can feel it (usually about 5 mins-8mins) Then do 2 warm ups sets before your worksets.

Cool-down can be simply walking on treadmill or jogging on treadmill for about 5 mins.

That would double my time working out though. Not exactly what I want. Might try 1 or 2 warmup sets.

not necessarily, i warm up similar to Oli but my rest times between warm up sets are quite short so it doesn't add all that much time to the workout. it also depends on how big your workload is. if your program is full of fluff then yes it probably will double it but if you are doing the main movements like squat, dead, bench, mp etc then it wont add too much time.

I find I don't have to warm up too much for most movements, most of the time I just do a few sets at a lighter weight. I will however spend a few minutes on the treadmill to warmup for squats or bent over rows. I seem to be prone to pulling hamstrings otherwise.

I warm up like the troll does, but no need for much rest between the warmup sets

rack the bar, throw on some plates, have a sip of water, look over at any eye candy in the room, imagine yourself giving it a good pounding then do your next warmup set

I warm up like the troll does, but no need for much rest between the warmup sets

rack the bar, throw on some plates, have a sip of water, look over at any eye candy in the room, imagine yourself giving it a good pounding then do your next warmup set

Now thats the perfect way to warmup. Doesn't take too long, tried it today.

Shit!!! I spend probably spend at least 30 minutes of warming up before hand and cooling down afterwards.

Start with
Foam Rolling
Stationary bike
Dynamic Stretching
Warm up sets
Work sets

After I've completed all my work set for the day I do some static stretching.

I'm pretty conscious of making sure certain parts of my body (ie hips, lower back and shoulders) are properly warmed up.

That's almost what I do. If I need to warm up, sit on a stationary bike for a few minutes do a whole wad of foam rolling, dynamic stretches, then warm up sets then work sets.

Cool down is similar, more bike riding, foam rolling, static stretching....then reach for some food

What would you guys do first - foam rolling or the bike/general warm up?
Bought myself a roller and just trying to work out the best way to use it

nah man, I was referring to Oliver

no hard feelings or anything, none to Oli either
No worries mate- some people just get a little sharpish when you're running a supplements business and post on a forum! Hope you got your bob rows sorted.

Shit!!! I spend probably spend at least 30 minutes of warming up before hand and cooling down afterwards.
Couldn't imagine warming up that much! I like to get in, get done and get out! Do you find your intensity drops towards the end of a session? And what sort of workouts are you doing?