• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

WANT: vertical jump incr.

No man. I have read too many things saying it is bad for muscle mass. I might do some more heavy bag stuff I like hitting that thing.

Well in my opinion, managing weight loss and muscle gain is optimal for neither... If I were to go about losing weight and gaining muscle, Id probably just do a stripping phase (to lose weight), and then go into a bulking phase (for maximal muscle growth).

That way at least all energy could concentrate on the most important of goals first, or bulk then strip, either way, its what most body builders do, because when they bulk they can eat as much as possible... to respond best to muscle growth, and when they strip the weight off, they do higher rep ranges to tone up, and eat more lean foods, to lose the added weight.

Also, I have heard of a study that said to lose weight, you lose 1/3 of the weight in muscle, Im not sure about the confidence of that, but it makes sense because to gain muscle, your body basically needs you to more than prove that the extra energy required to sustain the muscle will be catered for (ie by eating lots of protein), so when you try to lose weight, it will be doing the opposite encouragement for muscle growth.

That is bad advice for kindred and pretty much anyone else. Kindred go check out BigJim's log and read through it. He was 150kg now he is nearly 100kg and a lot of that is now muscle. Keep lifting, keep progressing, do your boxing if you can, eat healthy and watch the weight drop off over the next year. You will put on muscle and lose fat it will take time but if you work hard and are consistent you will get results like BigJim. Just be patient.

BigJim's log is fairly insparational.

Agreed! but I would tackle goals on their own, just be easier to diet for it I think... and like if you get doms from doing heavy squats/deadlifts, are you really gonna go hard on cardio?? Im not sure I could put 100% into both goals, but thats just me... not everyone is super awesom at motivation like bigjim... sorta wish I could be :/

Agreed! but I would tackle goals on their own, just be easier to diet for it I think... and like if you get doms from doing heavy squats/deadlifts, are you really gonna go hard on cardio?? Im not sure I could put 100% into both goals, but thats just me... not everyone is super awesom at motivation like bigjim... sorta wish I could be :/

Im not getting any doms from squats or deadlifts i do millions of them. I get puffed out dizzy energy drained before i get the doms thing.

Im not getting any doms from squats or deadlifts i do millions of them. I get puffed out dizzy energy drained before i get the doms thing.

Yeah. I just get doms most times i push new goals, i come to live with having some sort of gym soreness, and still play my sport etc (3-4 games netball/1 game basketball/1 game squash per week)... but sometimes if i really overdo it, i have less energy for sport, and feel a bit lethargic...

i get alot of leg workout from 5 days of social sport... i find it hard to not be sore when i put 100% into games, but whenever i dont think i am sore, i always do squats lols

5 days of sports is not the same thing as squatting so you are not getting a proper leg workout to be stronger. If you squatted more often and reduced your games down to about 3 a week you would be feeling oh so much better.

I get DOMS after every squat session. Not huge DOMS but enough to feel and enough to need to have a decent stretch before i do some HIIT or something. And Shaunton, at 150kg you dont need to go "Hard" for HIIT to be effective haha. You just go as hard as you can and you will be fine. As you get used to it you up the intensity as you can. This is just my experience.

As for the whole losing weight thing. As long as you are eating under maintenance but making sure you are getting a lot of protein, and lifting heavy shit 3-4 times per week, you will lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I know this because its what has happened with me.

I would definitely not advise someone to do a bulking/cutting phase when they are 150kg especially when they have not really lifted weights before. I mean what are they going to "cut" back to?

As for motivation. The biggest motivator of all is the mirror. When you start to see your body changing in front of you it is a great feeling that will push you to train harder so you keep on seeing those changes.

Anyways i think this is a little off track now... My vert jump is beyond terrible. Might check it and post it up just for a laugh.

I get DOMS after every squat session. Not huge DOMS but enough to feel and enough to need to have a decent stretch before i do some HIIT or something. And Shaunton, at 150kg you dont need to go "Hard" for HIIT to be effective haha. You just go as hard as you can and you will be fine. As you get used to it you up the intensity as you can. This is just my experience.

As for the whole losing weight thing. As long as you are eating under maintenance but making sure you are getting a lot of protein, and lifting heavy shit 3-4 times per week, you will lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I know this because its what has happened with me.

I would definitely not advise someone to do a bulking/cutting phase when they are 150kg especially when they have not really lifted weights before. I mean what are they going to "cut" back to?

As for motivation. The biggest motivator of all is the mirror. When you start to see your body changing in front of you it is a great feeling that will push you to train harder so you keep on seeing those changes.

Anyways i think this is a little off track now... My vert jump is beyond terrible. Might check it and post it up just for a laugh.

Thank you for putting up the info that I could not be bothered. Jim's info is right on the money. Lift hard and eat right with a little bit of hard exercise in between and you get a dramatic body composition change. For anyone under 15% BF it is unlikely they can do it but when you are over 20% it will happen.

Every time I walk around in the city I see all this cool shit I want to jump over or ontop of! I am suprised I dont see more people jumping all sorts of stuff. I saw a dude jumping and flipping at the art gallery it looked like a lot of fun.

Dave: Yeah I know, but sport comes first in my lifestyle, hence my discussion above stating that balancing 2 goals can be very difficult to get right (like bigjim did).

I really do want to put 100% into both sport and squats/weights (w/o dropping any games), but usually I dont have that much left in me lols

BigJim: you totally should put up ur vertical, mine is about 55 cm (I think thats the measurement), increased from 45-50 cm before, but most notably, in a game of sport for instance, my activation rate is much higher, and I am becoming much better at intercepting the ball in the sports I play =)

Every time I walk around in the city I see all this cool shit I want to jump over or ontop of! I am suprised I dont see more people jumping all sorts of stuff. I saw a dude jumping and flipping at the art gallery it looked like a lot of fun.

You're in a class of your own Kindred. Don't fight that urge....just do it baby, jump that cool shit!

Sorry if its already been posted but shaunton what sport is that your playing/training for???

I used to play Basketball and then moved to volleyball, Im 190cm and had a contact point (the height I hit from after extending my arm straight above my head) over 360cm+

You do the math and its a 135cm vertical and my calves were non existent. I was lucky that I already had a fairly large vertical but after training (squatting, power cleans, plyometric's etc) my vertical improved almost 40cm over 5 years.

Last edited:
im 5 ft 8- last time i checked. its for basketball, but i also play netball where it is less important.

-- i have moved off calf development and just do Dl's and squats for legs now.
i had some try's at plyo, and rather than dedicate time for that, practice plyometrically for basketball.

Yeah not too bad. just mainly been doing squats at low weight, but deeper ROM; chinups - started doing proper ones, not the inward palm facing type, and trying to up my max weight on bench.

so yeah pretty good really. basketball season has ended till jan/feb so its time to make use of workouts properly :D