• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Want to bulk and define.

B

BREEBREE

Hey everyone, i am new to bodybuilding (although i dont intend nor want to fall into the "bodybuilding" category) and i was wondering what i should do to bulk and cut.

Right now i am going to the gym 3 days a week, each session starts of with a small warm up which consists of 3 minutes 12.00kmph jogging (400m) followed with 500m of rowing (around 2:10)

for my actual gym session i work on all body parts.
(i dont know many names of the machines i go on so excuse my poor gym grammar)

Back pulls - 3x10 at 30kg
Chest pulls - 3x8 at 40kg
Elevated back pulls - 3x8 at 20kg
Bench press - 3x8 40kg (Machine)
Side pull downs - 3x10 15kg
Barbell Bicep Curls - 3x8 25kg
Machine Bicep curls (same as barbell curls) - 3x6 40kg
Front raises with barbell - 3x10 45kg
Shrugs - 3x10 55kg
Standing bicep curls with wrist twist - 3x10 12.5kg
Lat Pull down - 3x10 30kg
Shoulder raises side/front 3x10 6kg
Leg press - 3x10 120-160kg
Leg Curls - 3x10 50kg
Calf Raises - 3x10 40kg
Squat (Machine) - 3x10 65kg

Crunches - 3x20
Bicycle Situps - 3x30
V-Sits - 3x10
V-Sit/Bicycle combo - 3x30

(There is a set of 4 machines that i also do but i have no idea on what they're called)
Sitting bench press? - 3x10 45kg
Shoulder press - 3x5 25kg
Angled Lat pull down - 3x10 45kg
Back pulls - 3x10 40kg

What i am trying to achieve like i said before is basically bulk up, and define the hell out of it.

My specs:
Height - 166cm 5'6
Weight - 58.5kg 128.7 lbs

You need to stop using machines and get onto a good free weight program mate. The beginners program around here would be perfect for you. Honestly, that program does not look very good at all.

As for bulk and cut, these have to be done at different times. First you bulk and then you cut.

Bree, you're 16 years young. That means you're excused for making the request you've made.

Positive/Negative
Anabolic/Catabolic
Man/Woman
Bulk/Define

Fadi.

Last edited:
HAHA, there is an explanation.

I can't seem to find that begginer program for some reason.

Bree, you're 16 years young. That means you're excused for making the request you've made.

Positive/Negative
Anabolic/Catabolic
Man/Woman
Bulk/Define

Fadi.

excused for making the request i have made? sorry, dont really understand that bit, care to explain more?

You need to stop using machines and get onto a good free weight program mate. The beginners program around here would be perfect for you. Honestly, that program does not look very good at all.

As for bulk and cut, these have to be done at different times. First you bulk and then you cut.

righteo, i will stop all machine exercises and use dumbells/bars to equate for it. i will also have a look into the beginners program and like i said i am new to the BB scene so CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is more than welcome, but instead of just saying it doesn't look good, can you explain why it doesnt look good and how i can improve it?

You have about 70 reps of different excersizes, that is majorly excessive. You could not get through all of that stuff while keeping up a high intensity a high work rate. You need to work with the compound lifts that will make you big and strong and build a good base for you. By doing this you will be using the most amount of muscle and moving the largest amount of weight around.

Workout 1 - Do 2 warm up sets and 3 working sets on each excersize. Increase weights when you complete all sets on each excersize.
Squat 3 x 8
Bench Press 3 x 8
Military Press 3 x 5
Dips 3 x 12

Workout 2 - Do 2 warm up sets and 3 working sets on each excersize. Increase weights when you complete all sets on each excersize.
Deadlift 3 x 5
Barbell Row 3 x 8
Pull Ups 3 x 10
BB Curls 3 x 8

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday twice each per week.

Do all of those excersizes with free weights use good form and eat well. You will grow and get strong. Sitting on a weight machine and isolating muscles will not get you as fast growth as what this does. Machines don't build core strength or outright strength. You end up conditioned to sitting in a certain way and doing a certain range of movment which does not build outright strength in my view.

Last edited:
excused for making the request i have made? sorry, dont really understand that bit, care to explain more?

You just tell me which part you did not understand Chris, and I'll be more than happy to break it down for you. What you have quoted above was a preface to my answer. Please quote the whole answer then tell me if you're still haveing a problem in understanding my message.

Hey everyone, i am new to bodybuilding (although i dont intend nor want to fall into the "bodybuilding" category)
Care to tell us all what category you would like to fall into then, so as to possibly provide you with some (as you've put it), CONSTRUCTIVE criticism ?

Thank you for your time Chris.

PS: We can play verbal gymnastic all day, but I would much prefer you get the help you're seeking. I believe Josh has done a great job in modifying your program. Well done Josh.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Hi Breebree, Fadi is saying that bulking and cutting are two very different things, opposite in fact;

Positive/Negative
Anabolic/Catabolic

Man/Woman
Bulk/Define

So I belive the request Fadi is rfefering to, is your request to bulk and gain. As Josh said bulk first then cut. But sadly it will take time and lots of effort and a good diet to bulk up.

Good luck,
Mike.

P.S. It's a good idea to listen to what Fadi has to say.:)

You just tell me which part you did not understand Chris, and I'll be more than happy to break it down for you. What you have quoted above was a preface to my answer. Please quote the whole answer then tell me if you're still haveing a problem in understanding my message.

Care to tell us all what category you would like to fall into then, so as to possibly provide you with some (as you've put it), CONSTRUCTIVE criticism ?

Thank you for your time Chris.

PS: We can play verbal gymnastic all day, but I would much prefer you get the help you're seeking. I believe Josh has done a great job in modifying your program. Well done Josh.

Fadi.

I just want to look like this
(cant show you because of the 15 post link thing but i will edit when i get 15)
i have the body shape to achieve it and i believe hard work and a good diet will help me achieve it.

i need to know what i need to do to get that type of body, sorry if im confusing you.

Hi Breebree, Fadi is saying that bulking and cutting are two very different things, opposite in fact;

Positive/Negative
Anabolic/Catabolic

Man/Woman
Bulk/Define

So I belive the request Fadi is rfefering to, is your request to bulk and gain. As Josh said bulk first then cut. But sadly it will take time and lots of effort and a good diet to bulk up.

Good luck,
Mike.

P.S. It's a good idea to listen to what Fadi has to say.:)

Yeah thats what i meant, i want to bulk and then cut, i know you cant do both at the same time. My diet is probably the best it could be for a 16 year old. lunch always has fruit/some other food high in carbs such as tuna and potato, dinner is always vegtables with lean meat or something with lean meat. breakfast is always 1 egg on toast with 2 pieces of tomato and 4 bits of bacon.

i should really make a more detailed thing of what i eat..

Thank you for your reply Chris. I'll wait to see what or rather who you'd like to look like.

Chris, what we are aiming for here right now is to lay down some serious foundation, that's how all the tall (or not so tall) buildings start out; wouldn't you agree? I know you do.

Mate you're not confusing me at all. But I always like to make it a habit not to fully commit myself to answering before I have the necessary information.

Most often, real mature bodybuilders set goals that are contradictory in nature. Like: "hey Jack, I want to get massive but I can't afford to lose my vascularity;'' or something to that effect. So when a 16 years young man such as your good self makes a request that is self contradictory, I try to point it out by giving an example as I have done with you.

I must also tell you how proud I am with you for taking the initiative to look after #1: Mr. Chris Wilson. Very well done young man.

Work on your eating plan and then we'll look at what you present and go from there. Always strive to strike a balance between the macros. We want to build massive muscles for sure; but not at the expense of our health.

Again, well done Champion and all power to you.

Fadi.

Last edited:
PTC/Markos has written an excellent beginners program in another thread. I wish I had something like that when I started out. However Josh_GTiR's that he's listed here is a good one too. Machines are good in the fact that they are safe and ensure good form, however free weights cause you to use your stabilizers and throwing balance into the equation makes the exercise more effective (something machines cant do)
I dont workout in a gym anymore, however when I was at the gym I'd choose a free weight squat over a smith machine squat. Had to drop a little weight but its more effective. Now I just do it at home.

Remember we cant correct your form from here, you may want to hire a PT to teach you how to correctly do all the major free weight lifts - just in case. That's one of the most common mistakes I saw from newcomers when I was starting out. However the fact your asking for advice rather than doing your own thing is a good sign.

PTC/Markos has written an excellent beginners program in another thread. I wish I had something like that when I started out. However Josh_GTiR's that he's listed here is a good one too. Machines are good in the fact that they are safe and ensure good form, however free weights cause you to use your stabilizers and throwing balance into the equation makes the exercise more effective (something machines cant do)
I dont workout in a gym anymore, however when I was at the gym I'd choose a free weight squat over a smith machine squat. Had to drop a little weight but its more effective. Now I just do it at home.

Remember we cant correct your form from here, you may want to hire a PT to teach you how to correctly do all the major free weight lifts - just in case. That's one of the most common mistakes I saw from newcomers when I was starting out. However the fact your asking for advice rather than doing your own thing is a good sign.

I used to do squats/deadlifts and some others back when i was about 13 only very light weight but im not one of those typical teenagers that just packs on the kg's and tries to lift as much as i can, i also like to make sure i have a very good posture so i dont do myself any damage.

can you link me to this beginners thread please?

Back pulls - 3x10 at 30kg
Chest pulls - 3x8 at 40kg
Elevated back pulls - 3x8 at 20kg
Bench press - 3x8 40kg (Machine)
Side pull downs - 3x10 15kg
Barbell Bicep Curls - 3x8 25kg
Machine Bicep curls (same as barbell curls) - 3x6 40kg
Front raises with barbell - 3x10 45kg
Shrugs - 3x10 55kg
Standing bicep curls with wrist twist - 3x10 12.5kg
Lat Pull down - 3x10 30kg
Shoulder raises side/front 3x10 6kg
Leg press - 3x10 120-160kg
Leg Curls - 3x10 50kg
Calf Raises - 3x10 40kg
Squat (Machine) - 3x10 65kg

Crunches - 3x20
Bicycle Situps - 3x30
V-Sits - 3x10
V-Sit/Bicycle combo - 3x30

(There is a set of 4 machines that i also do but i have no idea on what they're called)
Sitting bench press? - 3x10 45kg
Shoulder press - 3x5 25kg
Angled Lat pull down - 3x10 45kg
Back pulls - 3x10 40kg

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

How would i incorperate both of these into each other? minus all machine work.

But as Tall_Tim has already said, Josh did provide you with a good program also. Wow, everyone wants to help young Chris! Welcome to the Ausbb team brother!

Fadi.

i didnt even see josh's program, probably because he edited it later on. will look into it

Last edited:
Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

How would i incorperate both of these into each other? minus all machine work.

Chris, there's nothing to incorporate here. The above is done 3 times a week and Bob's your uncle! Do that for 3 months then we'll talk.

No going to failure but leaving a rep or two in the tank always. Increase by 2.5kg as the lifts get easier to force muscle adaptation. Eat like a horse, no...Make that two horses, sleep well and ask mum to buy you some new shirts!

Fadi.

Chris, there's nothing to incorporate here. The above is done 3 times a week and Bob's your uncle! Do that for 3 months then we'll talk.

No going to failure but leaving a rep or two in the tank always. Increase by 2.5kg as the lifts get easier to force muscle adaptation. Eat like a horse, no...Make that two horses, sleep well and ask mum to buy you some new shirts!

Fadi.

so basically the more i eat the bigger/stronger ill become?

that being said, i also want to be very lean and cut i will post a picture soon.

ryan-reynolds.jpg

finally i can post links up

so basically the more i eat the bigger/stronger ill become?

No, the more you eat the fatter you'll become...unless you give a good solid reason for the surplus calories to build some muscles on you. That is why you're training with mainly compound exercises; they are that reason.

that being said, i also want to be very lean and cut i will post a picture soon.
This takes us back to square one. You haven't even committed yourself to training 3 months solid and you're talking about losing fat and looking like the model you've posted up.

First thing's first.

Let's look at the alternative (which you may like, I don't know) of eating as you are now and training solid for three months. Now I've seen your avatar in your profile, and you look smaller than the model you've posted. By not increasing your calories, you will blow this guy away in the ripped to shreds department; but you'll be smaller than you are now.

So the choice is yours: build then trim; or trim and become ripped and small?

I think I'm just repeating myself here Chris, I've said all the above to you before...

PS: Let Ausbb know when you make a definitive decision of what your priorities are. Thanks.

Fadi.

No, the more you eat the fatter you'll become...unless you give a good solid reason for the surplus calories to build some muscles on you. That is why you're training with mainly compound exercises; they are that reason.

This takes us back to square one. You haven't even committed yourself to training 3 months solid and you're talking about losing fat and looking like the model you've posted up.

First thing's first.

Let's look at the alternative (which you may like, I don't know) of eating as you are now and training solid for three months. Now I've seen your avatar in your profile, and you look smaller than the model you've posted. By not increasing your calories, you will blow this guy away in the ripped to shreds department; but you'll be smaller than you are now.

So the choice is yours: build then trim; or trim and become ripped and small?

I think I'm just repeating myself here Chris, I've said all the above to you before...

PS: Let Ausbb know when you make a definitive decision of what your priorities are. Thanks.

Fadi.

Well i play rugby so i would much prefer to build and trim, i have already been doing gym for a solid 3 months building my routine over time when i learn new exercises. i am eating extremely well and i think i am at approximately 12-13% BF.

What Fadi is saying is if you want to build up the mass, don't worry about bodyfat % until you are happy with size. If you are trying to trim down while building you are not going to get anywhere.

Yes you have been working out for 3 months, though that is not really that long. Given the program you are currently doing you will be building slowly as well. You need a compound program and you need to eat well and eat alot.