• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Victoria Paine shares why she's 'obsessed' with CrossFit

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
IF YOU can't get your head around the 'cult' known as CrossFit, you need to read this. The fastest growing strength and conditioning training trend isn't without controversy, but this uber-devotee, says 'don't knock it til you try it'.
Victoria Paine says the fast and full-on training has the power to improve much more than just your physique.
The intense training program has dramatically changed her diet, mind and even her destiny after meeting her boyfriend through the sport.
"It's so motivating. I'm obsessed. It's changed my life," she said.
"I kept going back. I couldn't stop myself."

161606-c44bdcbc-57ec-11e3-ba26-b7fc4856beca.jpg

CrossFit athlete Victoria Paine. Picture: Supplied. Source: Supplied

Victoria had, before CrossFit, trained regularly without seeing results.
"I use to overtrain. I used to do long-distance running and marathons. Now I train smarter," she said.
"I've become fitter in a short amount of time. I'm stronger all over rather than just being strong in my upper or lower body. I lost 10kg over the first year.
"Mentally I'm so much tougher. It taught me you can push through and you end up doing things you didn't realise you can do."
The 26-year-old says she's a different person since starting the high-intensity exercise program that focuses on performing a variety of strength and aerobic exercises, a couple of years ago.
"Everyone says I seem so much happier," she said.
"Not only does it physically make you stronger but it literally mentally makes you stronger. It improves your perseverance, mental toughness, diligence and motivation.
"It's changed the way I approach work and relationships, I just kind of keep going now."

161665-cb608c0a-57ec-11e3-ba26-b7fc4856beca.jpg

CrossFit devotee Victoria Paine. Picture: Supplied. Source: Supplied

Victoria is now up before the sun to attend hour-long CrossFit sessions, four mornings a week, with men and women aged 17 to 70.
The 'functional fitness' sessions - which cap the number of participants to avoid overcrowding - combine weight training, aerobics and gymnastics.
But you don't just show up. CrossFitters know it's the effort you make that counts.
"You don't whinge. You're not meant to whinge in life. Now I just get on with it. No one likes a whinger," she said.
"It's just made me mentally tougher. I love it. I get up in the morning and I go. There's no doubt or negativity.
"Even though I might hate burpees I'll still do it and give it the best crack I can."
She's also adopted the Paleo diet popular among CrossFitters.
"I find I operate on a higher-protein, lower-carb diet a lot better. I don't get sugar crashes or anything like that so it's really good for consistent energy. I eat every three hours," she said.
"I follow it 80 per cent of the time because you've got to live a little and have a life outside of CrossFit.
"But now I spend all weekends training rather than partying and getting drunk. I just drink when there's an occasion to celebrate."

161721-c0799f2a-57ec-11e3-ba26-b7fc4856beca.jpg

CrossFitter Victoria Paine. Picture: Supplied. Source: Supplied

Along with her new resilience and her rocking body, she even credits CrossFit with meeting her man.
After meeting at Bondi Beach they were soon training at the same box (that's what CrossFitters call their gyms). They've since moved to Melbourne together.
"CrossFit showed me what kind of person he was and that's what I really admire about him," she said.
"We're not competitive. He's a lot better than me.
"I think it's because of CrossFit that I met him but I'd still love him if CrossFit didn't exist."
She insists a CrossFit box isn't just a gym, but 'a community'.
"It's unbelievably social. It's social when we're there at training and we go out after training," she said.
"There are also club competitions, fundraisers and BBQs.
"I've become friends with everyone at the different CrossFit boxes."

161748-fb817368-57ec-11e3-ba26-b7fc4856beca.jpg

CrossFit fan Victoria Paine. Picture: Supplied. Source: Supplied

CrossFit's been blamed for being dangerous and causing overtraining and chiropractic conditions.
Victoria, who is a sports marketing manager by day, says it unfairly cops a bad rap.
"I think people have this misconception that you have to be fit to start but that's not true. You don't get fit until you start," she said.
"The first time I walked into a CrossFit box everyone embraced me like family. They gave me a nickname straight away. It was awesome.
"I've definitely felt like it's too hard at times but that's when people in the community step in and encourage you and help you believe in yourself. It really changes your perspective and belief in yourself.
"I'd just say don't knock it until you try it."

Victoria Paine shares why she's 'obsessed' with CrossFit | News.com.au

needing a community to motivate you when you don't want to go.

Enough said.

i think we can all say that at one stage we have lacked the motivation to hit the gym , we all have an off day

I don't like the option of not talking to anyone when I go to gym. Sometimes you just need to get it done and you don't have time to chat.

you will end up in a wheelchair if you do crossfit
kipping looks stupid anyone can do it trust me I never have
its a cult, burn them!!!
noone at crossfit has good form, i seen 1 photo on google that proves it
they all pee themselves
paleo/rabno/not a sport/not athletes/cant do strict pullups

just though I would save everyone the hassle

I can understand the dedication people show to it, you can get the same feeling rowing surf boats. Surf boats however, is way more disciplined in that form is everything.

I myself knocked cross fit, until I went with my brother to his cross fit gym where they taught strict form and the trainer constantly monitor you and taught you how to preform movements correctly no kipping to be seen. Maybe it's one of the select gyms that actually look after the trainees.