• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Transitioning to Sumo

M

mattius

Hey guys.
Anyone have any tips on switching over to the sumo deadlift? Ie should i still be doing conventional dl specific day in my training week with sumos after. Or sumos after squat days?
Im about 5'6 60kg and pull 160kg conventional but i feel that my proportions arn't conducive to a good conventional pull.

Any tips will be much appreciated:)

yeah I'm a relatively supple bodied individual having done bjj etc. I've started some sumo pulling and getting into position and hips are feeling fine.

I'd start with doing lighter weights than you normally would to practice the form for a few weeks. Do this after heavy conventional. After it starts to feel natural, slowly transition to making the heavy stuff with sumo and see how it feels.

Initially for me it felt a lot harder at lighter weights but with about a month of practice, I was pulling the same as I was conventional.

Listen to TTT re the mobility though. Plenty of hip mobility is required. (I also come from BJJ background but not naturally mobile). I wouldn't do too much sumo pulling comp stance in training. Some people will use a slightly narrower stance or point the toes a bit forward if they are having external rotation hip issues.

Still do conventional as well. I'd do conventional for stuff like speed pulls etc. (not block pulls because they feel about a million times harder than sumo at same height :p)

if it takes you more than a few months to exceed your old conventional PBs, forget it, it's not for you

I was the opposite, started sumo and went conventional, beat my PB and improved very quickly after that...

I started with Sumo on a different day to conventional, lighter weights. After about two months, i was exceeding my conventional and eventually conventional dropped off completely.

I was always a lot less beat up after sumo compared to conventional which was my main reason for the transition.

I'd start with doing lighter weights than you normally would to practice the form for a few weeks. Do this after heavy conventional. After it starts to feel natural, slowly transition to making the heavy stuff with sumo and see how it feels.

Complete opposite for me, had a few sessions dicking around with 100kgs for sumo after conventionals and hated it.

First serious session pullig sumo I pulled 500lbs fairly comfortably and enjoyed it. Will play it out and see if I can pass my conventional.

Seconding the feeling of being less beat up, although the hips, glutes and hams are taking a hammering compared to my conventional.

If you decide to change, then change
Don't try and train both it will only lead to mediocre results

Stick to it for a while, if it's not working out than forget it