• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training Girlfriend

I lift with my gf. really have to be careful with her form because she's a pussy and she says everything hurts (like everything) so it's really difficult to tell if she's complaining because she's soft or because there's actually something wrong...

also, she psyches herself out really easily so she needs a lot of talking up to get things done.

if you going to stop everytime there is some pain its never going to get better, Being female is no excuse.

Those are the two problems i've found; being soft, and psyching herself out, no idea how to fix it but to keep working on form + positive reinforcement, while keeping a diary and maybe it'll fix itself lol

Stick with it mate, my gf was your usual zumba/body pump addict, got her on to the beginners program. For the first couple of weeks it was the "I can't lift that", "I wont be able to get 8 on those", "Why do I have to go up a weight next time!!"

She saw my progress and i'd just show her pics/youtubes of some of the girls who lift heavy on here and how "toned" they were. Few arguments early on but now its the complete opposite. Now, SHE is the one who gets upset when she misses a set or doesn't go up on the weight for the week! She even now goes on her own (when its quiet).

You are a brave man.

My advice is write her a program and diet, explain and motivate, then pat her on the bum and send her to the gym with a girlfriend.

Trust me...

Missus got a DEXA scan today,

Macros came out to 1600cal per day

120P 160C 53F ( although i did change her fitness pal macros to 160P and 120C)

and to exert 1800 cal per week in exersise.

Also, He told her to stop lifting weights which is what i found odd, He told her she already has enough muscle mass and if you are going to lift then do HIIT style lifting, max reps in a cirtian time. But just stick to cardio :/

Kinda pissed me off he said that actually, Seeing as she is 42.5% BF

I have also set up a training log, Which includes 3 heavy weight sessions a week

Squats, bench, MP, Deads, Curls.

Now im not sure if the macros set are going to put her in a deficit, unless that exersise is done, 1800 = 257 cal per day in exersise, So if she was do not do that then would need to drop cals by 257.

DEXA scan is the most accurate so i trust advice is sound.

Feel free to add your thoughs

Missus got a DEXA scan today,

Also, He told her to stop lifting weights which is what i found odd, He told her she already has enough muscle mass and if you are going to lift then do HIIT style lifting, max reps in a cirtian time. But just stick to cardio :/

I have also set up a training log, Which includes 3 heavy weight sessions a week

Squats, bench, MP, Deads, Curls.
Who did the scan?? Absolutely do weights! I think we all know that weights will give her a ripper of a metabolism! And a hot body but they end!
When I was given my macros, I stuck to fat and protein but dropped carbs from 150g to 50g average a day(worked for me)
My friend had her Dexa around the same time as me, I dropped 7kg of fat in 3 months, she dropped 4kg of fat in 4months, she stuck to her macros from the dexa.

Who did the scan?? Absolutely do weights! I think we all know that weights will give her a ripper of a metabolism! And a hot body but they end!
When I was given my macros, I stuck to fat and protein but dropped carbs from 150g to 50g average a day(worked for me)
My friend had her Dexa around the same time as me, I dropped 7kg of fat in 3 months, she dropped 4kg of fat in 4months, she stuck to her macros from the dexa.

jarrod from Messure Up

so you droped the 100G carbs and didnet add to protien or fat? as in just going 400 cal lower per day.

Yes i really dont agree with stopping lifing, so it wont be happening :)

altough a dexa scan is the most accurate for calorie intake ect, It still does not take into effect how deffrent people do with more or less carbs ect,

I think that could play a big role, Though some would say a calorie is a calorie.

At the moment I am eating around 100 carbs a day at 1400 Cal's and my weight is maintaining.
I gained 5.88g BMD between the Dexas, doesn't sound like alot but I didn't eat dairy, I ate alot of Brocolli and protein from chicken and eggs, and lifted alot of weights!
What was her BMD? Any chance of posting her Dexa?

Last edited:
Her BMD was also really low, He said she had 5 years to correct that, Supp with vit D and calcuim
All the more reason for her to keep lifting. Whole body strength training and high impact training are the two best ways to increase BMD, alongside the nutritional component. As you said she has 40-something %BF, high impact training is out, so strength training it is.

Plus "you already have enough muscle" is not a good reason to not lift weights, especially while you're losing weight. If you're losing weight and you don't strength training, then you're asking for losses in lean body mass, which is obviously not the desired outcome.

In conclusion, keep her lifting. The guy you spoke to overstepped his professional boundaries by making exercise prescriptions that do not meet either what she wants or what she needs.

How's it going with the gf Sydking?

I was a bigger girl, well I still am I guess. HIIT is genius, because it's such a quick cardio workout & a lesser time commitment? I find I can do it, religiously without too much issue lol

Or what about weighted circuit training? I really enjoy that too & because each movement is so short, time definitely flies!

I hope she's kept up with it? I would love to have a partner who's so into fitness, I think I may have commenced this journey of mine alot sooner if that were the case?

But in the end, it has to be up to the individual to make the commitment doesn't it?

Am sure she's beautiful, regardless :)

Would love an update though.