• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training for Strength V. Appearance

So to answer your question, measurements were mostly taken out of curiosity. They'll move in the right direction as a byproduct of getting stronger.

I find this statement interesting wingers
In many threads and posts I've seen people outline in their training routines that they seem to separate training for 'strength' and training for 'hypertrophy'.
Now, if 'strength' training will produce an increase in muscle dimensions, as you've stated above then why train differently for 'hypertrophy'?

I find this statement interesting wingers
In many threads and posts I've seen people outline in their training routines that they seem to separate training for 'strength' and training for 'hypertrophy'.
Now, if 'strength' training will produce an increase in muscle dimensions, as you've stated above then why train differently for 'hypertrophy'?

I guess its a matter of focus and priority. I dont actually care about appearance or hypertrophy 1 iota, i just want to get stronger and gradually do better at the comps i enter. Since August, my total has increased 50kg and ive maintained the same bodyweight. I assume this means muscle has increased and therefore (to maintain) something must have decreased (bf%). I dont count calories or macros at all.

When i chat with people at social gatherings, theyre surprised that i lift. Their focus/priority is on hypertrophy/appearance so they look better than me but are still doing 50kg smith machine squats on the rare occasion theyre not doing chest and arm days. Im perfectly ok with this.

Does that make sense? I dont want to turn this into an oni theory sesh lol!

That's cool, I was just thinking out loud.
We're all different, To me having to demonstrate that I'm strong is like a fat chick with big tits.

Last edited:
Some blokes are shaped for bodybiulding, some are shaped for strength, remember that it's easier for some to transmit power, but not have the ideal proportions.

Having said that I firmly believe that more often than not we are what we are in spite of the workout we use, rather than because of it.

Some blokes are shaped for bodybiulding, some are shaped for strength, remember that it's easier for some to transmit power, but not have the ideal proportions.

Having said that I firmly believe that more often than not we are what we are in spite of the workout we use, rather than because of it.

Ya, i wont be bodybuilding anytime soon. My calves finish half way up my legs, my triceps are non existant and my belly looks like im due twins in a week. Squatting 140kg probably puts ya in the top 2% of australia lol

To me having to demonstrate that I'm strong is like a fat chick with big tits.

Love it (and agree). Sure it's a bit of ego, but I like being the odd one out, the one (usually) guy in the room that obviously trains.

Ya, i wont be bodybuilding anytime soon. My calves finish half way up my legs, my triceps are non existant and my belly looks like im due twins in a week. Squatting 140kg probably puts ya in the top 2% of australia lol

Mate, I know you have different goals, but seriously, I have shit bodybuilding genetics as well. All muscle insertions finish about half way lol. No thickness, thin muscle bellies etc. But nowadays, I actually get asked if I compete (which is ridiculous of course, but then again, I don't think any of these people have actually stepped foot in a proper gym or ever seen a guy on juice).

If you want to look decent, you can do it. Doesn't mean you have to compete, but doesn't mean you have to completely disregard appearance either.

But if you honestly do not give a crap at all about what you look like, then by all means, bulk to 110kgs and just try to lift as heavy as you can lol.

PST: honestly not giving a crap bout what ya look like and bulking to 110 are not the same thing. I think for my frame im strongest at my current weight and may even try to squeeze into 90 weightclass for next comp. Also, not sure if you saw the goals in the first post.

That's cool, I was just thinking out loud.
We're all different, To me having to demonstrate that I'm strong is like a fat chick with big tits.

You and I know that exercise is a means of building strength, not demonstrating it, hey?

PST: honestly not giving a crap bout what ya look like and bulking to 110 are not the same thing. I think for my frame im strongest at my current weight and may even try to squeeze into 90 weightclass for next comp. Also, not sure if you saw the goals in the first post.

My nizzle.

Yeah I know, but it seems to me that if you didn't give a crap about what you looked like and just wanted to get strong, then putting on weight would be the easiest way to go about it?

Yeah I know, but it seems to me that if you didn't give a crap about what you looked like and just wanted to get strong, then putting on weight would be the easiest way to go about it?

I think those that train for strength and those that train for appearance will every truly understand each other. A bit like men and women hehe.

Its not mutually exclusive though, theres carryover in both directions.