• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

to the mature guys training 10 years and over

TrentZor

Im approaching my 14th year atm of training (3 years off).

So anything for me to expect as i start heading towards mid 30's?.

Things ive noticed after turning 30

-God it hurts getting up in the morning after a late night out.
-Muscle recovery isnt too crash hot
-Old injuries are starting to creep back in again (elbow joints/knees/lowerback)
-Looking at pics of me back in the mid 20s and reminiscing

Also what supps are u guys taking daily? Im using alot of multivitamins and Glucosamine.

I'm approaching my 30th year of solid training. (Aircrafts get decommissioned by that time don't they?)!

Yes. I’ve noticed that I don’t do the stupid things I used to do when I was younger and had more energy than sense.

1. Smarter training
2. More Focus
3. More Enjoyment
4. Sweeter Feeling (it has to be experienced)
5. When joints are sore: refer back to #1

They say at 20, you think everyone is looking at you; at 40 you don’t give a damn who’s looking at you; at 60 you realise that no one was actually looking at you because they were too busy looking at themselves instead.

No "bodybuilding" supplements to speak of but plenty of White, Green, and Rooibos. teas. It's what I don't take that counts I think. I haven't drunk soft drink since the age of 15. Alcohol I have not met and would like my relationship with that poison to remain as is: (non-existent).

Fadi.

Last edited:

They say at 20, you think everyone is looking at you; at 40 you don’t give a damn who’s looking at you; at 60 you realise that no one was actually looking at you because they were too busy looking at themselves instead.

No "bodybuilding" supplements to speak of but plenty of White, Green, and Roobios teas. It's what I don't take that counts I think. I haven't drunk soft drink since the age of 15. Alcohol I have not met and would like my relationship with that poison to remain as is: (non-existent).

Fadi.

Yeah now i don't generally give a shit whos actually looking at me on the street compared to the 20's.

I went without alcohol for around 2 years in my mid 20s when i toook BB seriuosly. I couldn't keep it for that long the mental aspect of me cracked when i would see people having more fun on it at social events.

So 30 years FAdi is a loooong time my man :D Im impressed. Dont u think it cant be that bad to try it a bit to keep sane?

I'm approaching 20 years and the only consistant thing in my training is my inconsistancy.
I will change this soon, I have too.

Don't worry mate I did it for a bit in the early 90s, but have only come back to it properly this year, so I've less than a year going, you are all old hands to me :D

Well I am 35, I have been going to gym loosely for 9 years, back then I was a massive 61kg..but quite lean.

I trained really well, maybe 2 years, and put on mass, then had nearly a year off, got a little chubby. Had a back issue to deal with , stopped doing martial arts, lost condition.

went back sereously about 6 years ago, then had to quite for 15 months due to a job out in the stix, went from 67kg, to 63kg in a few months, then got chubby again up to 68kg.

Quite that job, and for about 4 years now I have been attempting to train better, apart from a few months here and there due to new family, and uni commitments, and shift work.. About 6 months ago before I had a 2 month break as mentioned I was the strongest and biggest I have ever been, topped out at 69kg. am getting close again, and will smash though this, Things have gotten heaps better for me now, no more uni, the new boy is in a routine, work is settling down again, etc, just need to focus of smashinhg the heavy weights, eating well and not sitting on here till the small hours not sleeping, lol.

But as with other yes the body needs more attention, to rest, and smarter workouts are needed, no were near as nimble as I once was, and as I no longer drink very much, apart from the odd wine, If I do have a few beverages, I feel very, very slack for several days after. I have noticed many more issues with joints etc, wrists, shoulder knee, and always the back. Smarter training and using wraps for my wrist helps heaps.

My focus is more about an overall body image rather than just having big bis etc, and I do it for myself,I truely feelk great about going to gym, for me it is very empowering to be able to break through goals. My wife appeciates what i acheive as well, she is very positive, and supportive, and I have her going back to gym now which is great.

Congratulation on your new baby boy Mick and thanks mate for a very positive answer. Well done mate and you will smash through your barriers with a powerful and uplifting attitude as you've demonstrated here. Thanks again Mick.

Fadi.

i have been doing it for long enough that when i dont ,i get down on myself.concidering myself lazy.
occasionally i get a bee in my bonnet and decide that im not trying hard enough and start jumping up weight at a silly unsustainable rate, forgetting that i have to work 6 days.
being 37 i know where your coming from with the old war wounds coming back to haunt me more often.

im 50 yrs young now, been training solid for 20 plus, not as strong as i used to be, i would say38 to 42 i was peaking strength wise. joints play up a bit nowadays so training is smarter..ie supersets and less weight used. glucosamine and multivitamins
when im trying to get harder i use protein powder religiously

im 50 yrs young now, been training solid for 20 plus, not as strong as i used to be, i would say38 to 42 i was peaking strength wise. joints play up a bit nowadays so training is smarter..ie supersets and less weight used. glucosamine and multivitamins
when im trying to get harder i use protein powder religiously

now thats commitment.

:) im more inspired by guys who have been continously training for over 20 years till their late 60's than people who have alot of knowledge but cant last the distance and let it all go..

Lots of younger guys are ultra keen in their early 20's then get burnt out by the time they are in their mid-late 20's realizing that the key to keeping that awesome body in shape is too hard especially when marriage/work/personal problems come along later in life.

its not how good u look or how much u lift but how long u can stay in the sport/training.. in my opinion.

now thats commitment.

:) im more inspired by guys who have been continously training for over 20 years till their late 60's than people who have alot of knowledge but cant last the distance and let it all go..

Lots of younger guys are ultra keen in their early 20's then get burnt out by the time they are in their mid-late 20's realizing that the key to keeping that awesome body in shape is too hard especially when marriage/work/personal problems come along later in life.

its not how good u look or how much u lift but how long u can stay in the sport/training.. in my opinion.

Very well said Ceffo.

Fadi.

Lucky I started this stuff in my mid twenties then.

I have a view that this is a lifestyle, it is not just about the awesome body on the outside. It is about being fit and healthy and setting a good example for my family. I want to be the 50 year old bloke that is running around in the park with his children and others playing Soccer, Basketball, or whatever and keeping up with them. Instead of being the 50 year bloke, sitting on the chair that barely fits around him, has a hard time walking from his car to the park etc.

That last part might be over exaggerated, but I see SO MANY unfit people these days, I can only imagine it gets worse. I also have a pact with my fiancee, I'll keep in good shape for her and she'll do the same for me not just for the first few years after marriage, for life! That will keep me happy!

The good body and over average strength are also WELL worth it as well though!

Big bump.

In may I officially started lifting 22 years ago (1991).
I must say this shit does not get easier.
I'm pretty sure I've reached my genetic limits.
the past 3 yearsi have been consistant and it's a real grind to any any new muscle or strength.
is this it for me now. will i just remain the way I am with consistant training?
WTF could I possibly do other than exogenous hormones to continue progessing.
I have been getting stronger lately but probably oly to levels i was when i was younger.
I think this is it. :(

Big bump.

In may I officially started lifting 22 years ago (1991).
I must say this shit does not get easier.
I'm pretty sure I've reached my genetic limits.
the past 3 yearsi have been consistant and it's a real grind to any any new muscle or strength.
is this it for me now. will i just remain the way I am with consistant training?
WTF could I possibly do other than exogenous hormones to continue progessing.
I have been getting stronger lately but probably oly to levels i was when i was younger.
I think this is it. :(

Quit work. That shit robs your gains.