• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Time Magazine: "300's chiseled bodies fuel boy's insecurities"

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Link to Article
"A recent TODAY/AOL Body Image survey found that men worry about their appearance more than they do about their health, family, relationships or professional success."

What is the age group of these guys? 15-25? I am sure (and I have seen it 1st hand with alot of guys) that when they reach a certin age "looking good" goes a fair way down the list behind family, friends, work, paying bills/buying house etc etc

Of course its a huge craze at the moment fueled by the Zyzz movement - but you do find the flame for most will go out in regards to putting this 1st on the list of things to do....

Last edited:
That's because people are stupid.

no. men are just as susceptible to societal pressures as women. it's part of what makes you human.

teenagers are at the most vulnerable age for this sort of stuff and influences from all sorts of things. it's the age at which you are trying to figure out who you are and what image you want to project to the world. Plus for most kids, they want to fit in, to be accepted.

I just think it's sad that both boys and girls are being bombarded with unrealistic imagery without the context being given for them to understand that it's unrealistic and unimportant.

Kudos to parents to raise their kids to not fall into the trap.

no. men are just as susceptible to societal pressures as women. it's part of what makes you human.

teenagers are at the most vulnerable age for this sort of stuff and influences from all sorts of things. it's the age at which you are trying to figure out who you are and what image you want to project to the world. Plus for most kids, they want to fit in, to be accepted.

I just think it's sad that both boys and girls are being bombarded with unrealistic imagery without the context being given for them to understand that it's unrealistic and unimportant.

Kudos to parents to raise their kids to not fall into the trap.

that's a good post chocco.

To add, as a parent you do all you can, you take what you have learnt from your parents, but it's natural for a teenager to go against what they've learn't, we've all done it.

that's a good post chocco.

To add, as a parent you do all you can, you take what you have learnt from your parents, but it's natural for a teenager to go against what they've learn't, we've all done it.

oh I totally agree!
and I say that as someone who ended up with a severe eating disorder and the worst body image issues ever, despite the best parenting a kid could wish for.

we're all rebels as teenagers, even if it's on the inside.

I think it's even harder now for kids and for parents.

I dunno, i couldn't give two hoots about my body image when i was that age, i played a lot of sport and worked on the farm a lot so had too much to do.

Maybe that is the key? Keep yourself too busy to even think about things like body image?

I don't think this is a new thing and I'm not sure why they're worrying about a movie that hasn't even been released yet.

People always have worried about looks, whether it's making bad financial decisions to ensure you have the latest shoes or jewellery to damaging your body.

In this case, at least the image being promoted is relatively healthy. So what if a bunch of guys want to exercise and eat healthy diets? It's different to the eating disorders related to getting "skinny". To bulk up and have a low level of fat a high protein diet, some cardio and a lot of lifting is going to be necessary.

Maybe also a bit of shading makeup to make the most of what is there.

I reckon in a month of cutting I could look like that with some help from a good makeup artist and a good photographer and lighting expert.

Either way, this article is making a mountain out of a molehill. It's a "look at me! boys have image problems too" article. Everyone worries about what they look like, everyone thinks they could improve what they look like. Even the fittest and the best still search for improvement. Arnie at his best would have still wanted to get better. Just that some people do more than others to get there.

The unhealthy things are when people are using steriods and other supplements irresponsibly and without doing proper research. The other unhealthy thing is when people become so obsessed that they lose sight of other important things in life. The obsession thing can happen with any part of life though... you can be obsessed with your job, sport, hobby. All can be psychologically unhealthy.

I dunno, i couldn't give two hoots about my body image when i was that age, i played a lot of sport and worked on the farm a lot so had too much to do.

Maybe that is the key? Keep yourself too busy to even think about things like body image?

like choc states, it's harder for parents and kids these days, I think it's partially due to media.
[MENTION=16241]Headley[/MENTION]; back in the day, people that work hard during the day came home to rest.

more often than not, now...people come home from work to go to gym, the fitness industry is full of smoke and mirrors and snake oil salesmen.

moving twenty hay bails is a cool workout.

getting strong is quite simple.

The obsession thing can happen with any part of life though... you can be obsessed with your job, sport, hobby. All can be psychologically unhealthy.

+1 its just adding another obsession to that already long list. As a recent single 24yr old male I feel like there is pressure for me to make the nost out of my body and there are a few work colleagues that have also talked about illegal substances to do this, in the end its a choice of the individual and you can just warn people about the negative side effects. E.g smoking and recreational drugs.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

like choc states, it's harder for parents and kids these days, I think it's partially due to media.
[MENTION=16241]Headley[/MENTION]; back in the day, people that work hard during the day came home to rest.

more often than not, now...people come home from work to go to gym, the fitness industry is full of smoke and mirrors and snake oil salesmen.

moving twenty hay bails is a cool workout.

getting strong is quite simple.

Moving 20 bales of hay these days involves sitting on your arse in an air conditioned tractor for 10 minutes.

Back in the day it would have been more like moving a few thousand small square bales in a day. Now that would have been hard work.

Last edited:
Moving 20 hay bales of hay these days involves sitting on your arse in an air conditioned tractor for 10 minutes.

Back in the day it would have been more like moving a few thousand small square bales in a day. Now that would have been hard work.

Most Def

Moving 20 bales of hay these days involves sitting on your arse in an air conditioned tractor for 10 minutes.

It was. And it was a good community job too, your neighbours would rock up to help you out all day.

this was on /fit/ last night- thankfully most of the comments were bagging out the author of this thinly veiled HAES fat acceptance type crap.

People shouldn't be made to feel bad for wanting to self improve.

that said the workout is retarded - my former gym buddies insistence on doing it at least once a week is part of the reason that I started training alone.

I think they went natty in the 2nd movie, with less painted on abs etc, and they looked noticably smaller.

Maybe they did cross-fit instead of bodybuilding.