• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Time for a new program

A

antlax

Looking for a change in my program.
Mid 30s, lifting for a while, reasonable strength, want a new 3 day/week program to develop size and strength.
Any chance someone could post a program that they use that has worked for them?

MON
BB bench
Squat
BB bent over row
WED
Squat
Military press
Lat pulldown
FRI
BB bench press
Military press
Deadlift
arms

each session takes about an hour
each exercise has 6 sets - first three sets have 8 reps (weight is set so I can just get 8 reps on the third set), then 3 sets to failure (often 4 - 6 reps).
Increase weight once I can get 8 reps on the third set
90 sec break between sets

You can try
Push:
Pull:
Legs:

Something like this

Day 1
Bench
OHP
Dips
Tricep exercise of choice

Day
Deadlift
Row
Pull Up or Pulldowns
Barbell Curl or chins
Abs

Legs
Squat
Leg Press or you could do leg extensions
Hammy Curl
Roman Deadlift
Calves

You can try
Push:
Pull:
Legs:

Something like this

Day 1
Bench
OHP
Dips
Tricep exercise of choice

Day
Deadlift
Row
Pull Up or Pulldowns
Barbell Curl or chins
Abs

Legs
Squat
Leg Press or you could do front squats
Hammy Curl
Roman Deadlift
Calves

Day one: proper muscles =squats, deadlifts, cleans etc...

Day two: beach muscles = bench,rows,upright rows, dips or ohp.

Day one: proper muscles =squats, deadlifts, cleans etc...

Day two: beach muscles = bench,rows,upright rows, dips or ohp.

I likes the look of this old man, I mean Vonframm. I've actually been doing something similar for ten or so years.

I likes the look of this old man, I mean Vonframm. I've actually been doing something similar for ten or so years.

It's ok man. Some people consider that kind of relationship with your sister to be "unnatural". Over time they get used to it.

Heavy Workout

Squats – 5 sets of 5, 1 set of 10.
Perform 2 warmup sets followed by 3 all-out sets of 5 reps. Pick a weight that makes you struggle to get 5 reps on all 3 work sets. Add weight at the next heavy workout and again whenever you manage 5 reps on all 3 sets. After the last set, drop down in weight for 1 set of 10 reps. The 10 reps should be next to impossible to perform.

Flat Bench Presses – 5 sets of 5, 1 set of 10.
Follow the same plan as squats.

Deadlifts – 5 sets of 5.
The same as above, but omit the higher-rep set.

Push Presses – 5 sets of 8.
Do 2 warmup sets of 8 followed by 3 work sets, going as heavy as possible for 8 reps.

Barbell Curls – 5 sets of 8
As above.

Incline Situps – 3 sets of 45.
Perform 15 reps as regular situps, 15 twisting to the right, and 15 to the left.

Light Workout

Squats – 5 sets of 5.
Use a weight that’s 60 to 65% of the weight you used in the heavy workout. You’ll probably need only one warmup set, so you can do the remaining 4 sets with you work weight. Concentrate on speed and explosiveness. The concentric portion of each lift should be done as quickly as possible.

Flat Bench Presses – 5 sets of 5.
As above.

Good Mornings – 5 sets of 5.
This exercise is great for building strong lumbars. Perform 2 warmup sets followed by three heavy sets of 5 reps. Heavy, of course, is relative on this exercise. The mechanics of the exercise don’t allow for great poundages, thus, it falls on the light day.

Seated Dumbell Presses – 5 sets of 8.
Do 2 warmup sets followed by 3 all-out work sets.

Concentration Curls – 5 sets of 8.
As above.

Crunches – 3 sets of 45.
Perform these as you did the incline situps in the heavy workout. I put them on the light day because they don’t involve the effort that other ab exercises do.

Medium Workout

Squats – 5 sets of 5, 1 set of 2.
Perform 2 warmup sets just as you did on the heavy day followed by 3 sets of 5 reps with a weight that’s less than what you used at that workout. I like to use around 85% of what I did on the heavy day. After your 5th set rest a few minutes and do a heavy double with more weight than you used on your heavy day. That will prepare you for the upcoming heavy day, when you’ll attempt to use the weight used for a double here 5 reps.

Flat Bench Presses – 3 sets of 5, 1 set of 2.
Same as above.

Stiff-legged Deadlifts – 5 sets of 5.
Do two warmup sets followed by 3 heavy sets of 5. The weight you use on these should be somewhere between what you use on the good mornings in the light day and the deadlifts in the heavy day.

Behind the Neck Presses – 5 sets of 8.
Do 2 warmup sets followed by 3 heavy sets.

Barbell Curls – 5 sets of 8.
As above.

Hanging Leg Raises – 3 sets of 45.
Perform these to the front, right, and left side.

Here are some tips to help you get the most out of this program:
- Stick with it for least 8 weeks.
- After a month on the program, increase the weight you use on the light and medium days. Go to 75% on the light day and 90% on the heavy day.

Heavy Workout

Squats – 5 sets of 5, 1 set of 10.
Perform 2 warmup sets followed by 3 all-out sets of 5 reps. Pick a weight that makes you struggle to get 5 reps on all 3 work sets. Add weight at the next heavy workout and again whenever you manage 5 reps on all 3 sets. After the last set, drop down in weight for 1 set of 10 reps. The 10 reps should be next to impossible to perform.

Flat Bench Presses – 5 sets of 5, 1 set of 10.
Follow the same plan as squats.

Deadlifts – 5 sets of 5.
The same as above, but omit the higher-rep set.

Push Presses – 5 sets of 8.
Do 2 warmup sets of 8 followed by 3 work sets, going as heavy as possible for 8 reps.

Barbell Curls – 5 sets of 8
As above.

Incline Situps – 3 sets of 45.
Perform 15 reps as regular situps, 15 twisting to the right, and 15 to the left.

Light Workout

Squats – 5 sets of 5.
Use a weight that’s 60 to 65% of the weight you used in the heavy workout. You’ll probably need only one warmup set, so you can do the remaining 4 sets with you work weight. Concentrate on speed and explosiveness. The concentric portion of each lift should be done as quickly as possible.

Flat Bench Presses – 5 sets of 5.
As above.

Good Mornings – 5 sets of 5.
This exercise is great for building strong lumbars. Perform 2 warmup sets followed by three heavy sets of 5 reps. Heavy, of course, is relative on this exercise. The mechanics of the exercise don’t allow for great poundages, thus, it falls on the light day.

Seated Dumbell Presses – 5 sets of 8.
Do 2 warmup sets followed by 3 all-out work sets.

Concentration Curls – 5 sets of 8.
As above.

Crunches – 3 sets of 45.
Perform these as you did the incline situps in the heavy workout. I put them on the light day because they don’t involve the effort that other ab exercises do.

Medium Workout

Squats – 5 sets of 5, 1 set of 2.
Perform 2 warmup sets just as you did on the heavy day followed by 3 sets of 5 reps with a weight that’s less than what you used at that workout. I like to use around 85% of what I did on the heavy day. After your 5th set rest a few minutes and do a heavy double with more weight than you used on your heavy day. That will prepare you for the upcoming heavy day, when you’ll attempt to use the weight used for a double here 5 reps.

Flat Bench Presses – 3 sets of 5, 1 set of 2.
Same as above.

Stiff-legged Deadlifts – 5 sets of 5.
Do two warmup sets followed by 3 heavy sets of 5. The weight you use on these should be somewhere between what you use on the good mornings in the light day and the deadlifts in the heavy day.

Behind the Neck Presses – 5 sets of 8.
Do 2 warmup sets followed by 3 heavy sets.

Barbell Curls – 5 sets of 8.
As above.

Hanging Leg Raises – 3 sets of 45.
Perform these to the front, right, and left side.

Here are some tips to help you get the most out of this program:
- Stick with it for least 8 weeks.
- After a month on the program, increase the weight you use on the light and medium days. Go to 75% on the light day and 90% on the heavy day.

Sorry Poni. Got the Beer goggles on at the moment, but I assume this is a 3 day a week program?

Yeah 3 days a week
Behind the neck press is awesome. If you get bad shoulders from them, then don't do them. But I think they are great and a lot of the old timers did lots of behind the neck pressing