• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Time Between Heavy Workouts

T

teza

I am interested to learn from other lifters how long a duration that they do between maximum effort lifts. Currently I train the three big lifts every day at around 80% for three sets of three reps and going for a PB once a week. I have had good increases in strength for 8 weeks but have stalled out lately and am feeling tired, sore and not interested in lifting. I am on holiday for three weeks and don't plan on seeing the gym so I can recover. Any positive feedback that can have me lifting more is appreciated. I am 52 years old and current PBs are Bench 143 Kilos Squat 160 Kilos Deadlift 190 Kilos

You do a total of 27 reps per workout and then leave the gym?

Your calling the guy on his volume. Look at the lifts he listed then work out what weight he is moving at 80%. Doesn't look like an easy 27 reps to me.

Poster why not take your holiday and run a different prpgramme when you return. I know in the past running the same programme on cycle for a year made me indiffetent about my workouts and just felt like I was going through the motions.

Strong numbers to mate, keep at it.

You're confusing building strength with demonstrating strength
You can't hit a PR every week forever. It just won't happen. You need to dedicate 8+ weeks to increasing volume at 80% or 90% (depending on how you like to train really). Just keep doing more reps at a certain percentage each week. You might get stronger, weaker or remain the same during this period but just keep increasing your volume. Then after 8 weeks just take a week off doing light shit on monday and wednesday then retest maxes on saturday. You'll be stronger

You're confusing building strength with demonstrating strength
You can't hit a PR every week forever. It just won't happen. You need to dedicate 8+ weeks to increasing volume at 80% or 90% (depending on how you like to train really). Just keep doing more reps at a certain percentage each week. You might get stronger, weaker or remain the same during this period but just keep increasing your volume. Then after 8 weeks just take a week off doing light shit on monday and wednesday then retest maxes on saturday. You'll be stronger

I would drag that out even longer, most programs run at around 12 weeks

Work higher rep sets at the becoming and gradually work that down over the 12 weeks culminating in pb attempts.

If your just focused on strength look at established programs, such as 531, ppp, sheiko etc.

it looks like you are competing every week rather than training.. If I do too much near max training, my joint get sore, my energy levels drop, and my strenght goes backwards.

I personally like 4 week blocks and will decide on my next months volume based on my performance from the last week. I don't need to run a 13 week block at the moment though, 9 week is fine

As an older dude you might want to run a two week taper though

I am interested to learn from other lifters how long a duration that they do between maximum effort lifts. Currently I train the three big lifts every day at around 80% for three sets of three reps and going for a PB once a week. I have had good increases in strength for 8 weeks but have stalled out lately and am feeling tired, sore and not interested in lifting. I am on holiday for three weeks and don't plan on seeing the gym so I can recover. Any positive feedback that can have me lifting more is appreciated. I am 52 years old and current PBs are Bench 143 Kilos Squat 160 Kilos Deadlift 190 Kilos
every day? break it up, give yourself time between workouts. i only train twice a week. mondays and thursdays.

as the others have said, look at a different program, play around with volume, drop the weight to something you can do 5 or 6 reps with and do 3 sets for the squat and deadlift for bench i tend to do 5 or 6 sets

if you train too hard for too long progress flattens out.

get back into training when you get back, look into writing or following a different program

Going heavy calls on adrenilin, which in time will prove catabolic if there is not sufficient rest between heavy workouts.

That is easy part to know; you have to design workout in line with your ability to recover. Will vary from person to person.

Some people, like me (highly strung), need a lot of rest (i keep max efforts or sets to once a fortinght). Others can back up twice a week.

Key is when you do go heavier, you get an improvement. If you dont, your training is not working.

If you do want a guide through a test, give yourself one week lighter to ensure you are ready for a max potential performance, whether ti be low or higher reps. Aftert all, one can go very hard on lighter weights to failure, and still be exhausted. By light, i mean well within yourself and nowhere near failure.

Last edited:
Going heavy calls on adrenilin, which in time will prove catabolic if there is not sufficient rest between heavy workouts.

That is easy part to know; you have to design workout in line with your ability to recover. Will vary from person to person.

Some people, like me (highly strung), need a lot of rest (i keep max efforts or sets to once a fortinght). Others can back up twice a week.

Key is when you do go heavier, you get an improvement. If you dont, your training is not working.

If you do want a guide through a test, give yourself one week lighter to ensure you are ready for a max potential performance, whether ti be low or higher reps. Aftert all, one can go very hard on lighter weights to failure, and still be exhausted. By light, i mean well within yourself and nowhere near failure.

The trick is to not get psyched up for big lifts! Hard with deadlifts though

Bro honestly I think people think too much into lifting. They follow all these crazy and complicated theroys from books and programs that people have written and pitched the idea well to sell books. At the end of the day unless you have fucked ur nervis system, moving forward comes down to your mentality in the gym. If a program gives u the confidance to go that little bit further good on it but i believe its not the program its ur mentality discipline and attitude towards the lifting. I hear ppl saying “I dont feel like im motivated lately“ or “I dont think im strong enough“ To me these words “Think“ and “Feel“ are emotional words and not words that discribe physical strength so the last thing we shuld do is question our strength or tecnique or program we should address out mentality :)
I have been doing the same workout for 5 years and iv had strength gains since the begining. This workout works for me and its simple.
What i do is on my first working set lift at 70%, 2nd set 90% and for my last working set I lift a weight that I will fail on at rep 4-6 and have someone force my last reps so I hit 8. As the weeks progress my gym partner forces less of my reps for me untill im lifting all the weight myself. Once im lifting it all myself i throw an extra 10kg on the bar and it all starts again its great fun!
Tell ur self u can do it, fail, tell urself u can do it, fail, keep telling urself u can do it and stop worrying about wat u cant do, get mad at ur platau and dont let it win cos its a mental thing. The truth is our brains controll our muscles and our plataus. :) :) Thats wat i rekon!