• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Throw Briggs in Jail

Right, i was there wednesday night , one of my boxers matt garlett was on the undercard.

Il clear a few things up,

If danny green offerd YOU $250,000 to fight him what would you say????

Green promotions , (owned buy danny green), offered paul briggs , a guy thats been retired for 3.5 years , out of shape, and broke a MASSIVE pay check, so danny would look good.

Green promotions , promoted the fight, (even the pic of briggs on the poster was 4-5 years old) and talked it up.

Danny was always going to win,

Danny hasnt fought a GENUINE top 20 ranked boxer for nearly 3 years.

When he won the title the guy didnt come to fight.

He then beat a 40something former lengend.

He then dragged a old south american has been over here.

ALL of danny greens oponents for the last 3 years only came to australia or took the fight on because green promotions offered huge money to get them here.

When a boxer promotes and chooses his own fights its always going to be this way, it has to change , the title holder should not fight anyone out of the top 10 ranked fighters.

Just to add something, id realisticly say 60% of males would only need to get clipped by danny green to go down if there in the shape briggs was.

Hope briggs gets the money that was dangleld infronnt of him, hope danny pays us all back.

Yeah right, the chicken that put Danny Green himself in his place. Mundine is the best Australian fighter ever, period. You can include Fennech in that list.

People don't like him because of his mouth. Sure he's got a big ego, but he's got the goods to back it.

I've met Choc personally and seen a side of him you guys wouldn't know. I watched him visit a dying girl who was the daughter of a friend of mine in hospital several times a week. The media circus would turn up occassionally and want to milk the situation but I remember him asking the girl on one occassion if she wanted the media around and she told him to tell them to f*ck off. So he turned to them and said, you heard the girl, f*ck off. He'd then spend an hour or two just sitting with her and talking about nothing and basically making her feel better. Don't just believe the media invented face of Anthony Mundine. He really is the man behind the mask. He's also got an amazing sense of humour and positive attitude in person. What he lacks in humility he more than makes up for in other regards.

Be careful not to judge what you don't know.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm always concerned the dislike of Anthony Mundine is actually closet racism excused as disliking arrogance. Again, I hope I'm wrong and that the Australian people are bigger than that. He's a national hero.

Cheers,
Mike

To right Mike well said, People judge and hate people they don't even really know.
Pfft, Mudine is a arrogant *******
Shame he does not have the demeanor of his ol man.

Let's not forget what he said after 9/11 or do you have a short memory? Well??

29 seconds was pretty poor, there was a delay before he fell, like he had to make a conscious decision to fall, even when the ref was counting he just looked at the mat, green was pretty pissed, and with good reason.

Chrisp,

I agree that it would be good to see Green, and Mundine also for that matter, fighting quality opponents. They've both reached a level where they should be fighting the bigger names in world boxing eg. Hopkins, Pavlik, Cotto etc but years roll on by and we never see it.

You've bagged the quality of Green's opponents but at least Jones Jr and Siaca (who beat Mundine) do both have a name in the sport, unlike the total unknowns Mundine's been fighting.

FWIW, I get the sense that MikeW is right about Mundine. I've never met him but I've heard several times in the media from his ex-Dragons teammates and other sources that he's actually a nice guy. I think his desire to sell his fights, combined with his strong self-confidence make him seem like a tool, but my guess he's probably not as bad as what everyone thinks.

manny siaca was a better boxer in 2004 @29 years of age.

same is to besaid with roy jones jnr,

there was only 1 reason 2 boxers (jones and saica) travelled all the way to australia to fight danny green, MONEY.

By the way dave ive also met choc and your bang on the money , topbloke who sometimes speaks without thinking, but it and (he ) is great for the sport.

I've met mundine, he's a SUPER nice guy. Like ridiculously friendly. But I'm not convinced of how intelligent he is. In saying that though, Mundine is a great businessman and knows to play the villain in the media - I think the race card is definitely a big part of why he is loved or hated and he plays on it. It's almost like the US with their "great white hope" media circus yeard ago.

Mundine's also super-fit. He was always going to be a decent fighter, but he's also been very selective about his fights.

Green had the goods to be more than he is/was, but his prime has passed.

Both parties set their fights for money making purposes only now.

Boxing world-wide is very weak right now. It's weird, where is all the quality?

The MMA and UFC have improved, but those blokes still aren't at a boxers fitness level. I don't think they would look so damaging if you took the grapples, kicks and ground work/submissions out and put the regulations on their punches that boxing has.

This whole UFC v Boxing thing I think is a bit silly, it's like comparing NRL and EPL/A-league. It shouldn't be done. Both should be enjoyed along side each other.

Sports are awesome, why would you restrict your enjoyment by strictly dedicating yourself to a fanatical level to only one?

It's not too hard to keep up with several sports. Enjoy as many as you can. They are all admirable for different reasons.

Sometimes its not the fighter picking the fights either. Here's a great article in the media today that is timely.

Lord of the Ring | Khoder Nasser | Anthony Mundine |Sonny Bill

SMH said:
Nasser says it was during one of Mundine's darkest hours that he fell in love with his job. It was 2001 and Mundine had been a professional fighter for less than two years and was hungry for a world title. He managed to get a bout against the champion German fighter Sven Ottke, who was undefeated as a professional and was making his 10th straight world title defence. Nasser had advised Mundine against the fight on two grounds. First, he thought it was too early in his career and, second, he thought the business deal was a dud.

But, of course, Nasser and Tony were there, ringside in Germany as Anthony fought for a world title in only his 10th fight. For the first 10 rounds, according to the Associated Press report, Mundine was making Ottke, “the man that respected US veteran trainer Don Turner called 'the most brilliant technical boxer in the world', look like a second-rate journeyman”

Anthony was fighting the fight of his life. “I turned around to Tony and said, 'He'd better go for it. There are two more rounds. We can win this.' When he turned around, though, Anthony was on the canvas, knocked out cold. He looked dead. “I jumped into the ring, terrified.”

It took an age for Mundine to come to. “They wanted to take him out on a stretcher, but he refused and he hobbled to the dressing room. That's when all the talking began that his career was over – the media, everyone, even elements in the camp. I heard that back in the St George League's Club, people were dancing on the tables.

SMH said:
“Mundine has the potential to be known as one of the world's great fighters,” says the AAP boxing writer Adrian Warren, “but he needs to fight some of the world's really great fighters to do that.” He adds that Nasser has managed Mundine for “maximum return for minimum risk”.

Mundine admits that he is often in conflict with his manager over the quality of his opponents.

“There are certain fights that I want that he can't get,” he says. “I want to rush, whereas he wants to build to a climax. I am ready now.”

Nasser bristles at these criticisms and says it's very difficult for an Australian boxer to secure big fights because there isn't the interest, internationally, in the television rights. “Anthony sometimes doesn't understand that there has to be a build-up. Roger Federer doesn't play a Wimbledon final every week and not every fight can be for a world title.”

And, Shrek, we do know what he said and it wasn't the smartest thing in the world, but the guys a boxer not a statesman...

SMH said:
Mundine is now Australia's most financially successful boxer ever and, having won three world titles and reached the pinnacle in both rugby league and boxing, can justifiably lay claim to being one of our great sportsmen. And yet, because of his outspoken views on racism, his conversion to Islam, his often-stated belief in his own greatness and comments such as, “It's not about terrorism, it's about fighting for God's laws and Americans brought it upon themselves for what they've done” (in the weeks after September 11), he's disliked intensely by a large percentage of the sporting public and sections of the media, particularly News Ltd, which owns the game he scorned.

He's got a big mouth and some pretty strong views, but he's an amazing athlete. I loved the bit up front too about Tony covering the ticket price for all his "family" from all over the country, some of whom he'd never met. The black fella community is pretty tight.

SMH said:
“Money's only paper,” Tony tells me. “It comes and it goes.” I ask him how many relatives he reckons will be at the fight. “All of 'em,” he says, surprised by the question. “All of 'em.”

:)

Cheers,
Mike

Don't forget though, at his fights, he paid fighters in tickets...

Not to mention how he charge the Aboriginal Community Elders Services (I think it was them, it was definitely a governing aboriginal body though) $10 000 per fight for 3 fights to carry the aboriginal flag out behind him.

I'm not a hater of Mundine, I'm just helping both sides be viewed. It seems that people either think he is the worst scum on the planet or the worlds greatest saint, not just a human being.

I think he's a great athlete and love watching his fights.

He's a much better boxer than he was a league player IMO. I wish he made the transition earlier so he could have fought through his prime and actually taken on the quality fighters in their primes.

Mundine is boring to watch. He's not a boxer, he's a dancer.... He just jumps around throwing jabs and wins on points at the end...

Mundine on 9/11

In an interview in October 2001, Mundine said of the September 11 terrorist attacks, “They call it an act of terrorism, but if you can understand religion, and our way of life, it’s not about terrorism. It’s about fighting for God’s law, and America’s brought it upon themselves”.[20] Offering some insight into his tendency to make controversial comments in the media, Mundine stated that "If you want to toe the line, if you want to be some corporate guy and say the right things, do the right things, you might be okay in the media's eye, but it won't be real for me."”.[21] Mundine has received criticism for his lack of facing quality opponents in the ring and for rarely fighting outside his hometown of Sydney
He should rot in gaol for this statement.
Asswipe.
Go to hell Mundine.

And you guys reckon he's a nice guy. You are supporting terrorism and are lucky I don't ban you from this site. Terrorism has no place in this world.
Any supporter of Mundine is a supporter of terrorism.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry if I sound harsh but I will never forget those words Mundine said. Never.
Nice bloke!! :(

RIP 9/11 victims.

From smh.com.au this morning.

Briggs thought he 'earned' $200k for this 29 second farce. That's $6896.55 per second btw. I'd like to see him lose money out of it, by getting fined, or even harsher penalty.

BRIGGS FURY AT $200K DELAY

PAUL BRIGGS has been told there is new evidence regarding the betting and diving drama surrounding his non-fight with Danny Green. That's the reason he has been offered as to why he hasn't been paid $200,000 as promised. And now he is considering legal action to get back his money. Briggs took the fight because he lost his life savings and is fuming that he has not been paid. ''I spoke to Justin [Manolikos, Green's manager] and he told me that because of the investigation into the fight no one has been paid,'' Briggs said. ''He said something about new evidence. But in no way is that my concern. I didn't take a dive and I don't bet or have anything to do with [such things].'' Briggs also revealed that he knew he was in trouble physically before the controversial fight with Green. ''In sparring I was getting hit and it was really stinging me,'' he said.

Shrek, you hate Mundine, fair enough, but I think you know yourself that it's very unlikely that any of our members would support terrorism.
Well how can you like some one who supports terrorism as Mundine as stated?

I don't have any strong like or dislike for the guy. My gut feel, based on what I've heard, but without having met the guy, is that he isn't as bad as what everyone thinks. Yes, that comment was not great, and yes he's said a few foolish things. But then again, who amongst us hasn't done that a few times in their life?

My main disappointment with the guy is that he has some ability but I sense he's been taking a safe road with his career. Getting the cash money, and the easy fights, with the bogus 'interim WBXDGV-whatever World Champion' bulldust title, rather than really mixing it with the best.

That I do find annoying, same as his fixation with Muhammad Ali (seems to think he vaguely compares to him). But the rest of the big talk that he comes up with, I don't take any of that suff seriously. It's all hype, hoopla and promotion. He should divert his energy into getting the big fights - they would sell themselves.

Yes, that comment was not great, and yes he's said a few foolish things. But then again, who amongst us hasn't done that a few times in their life?
yes we all say stupid things, but who can put there hand up here and publicy condone the mass murder of thousands of innocent people.

Mundine is a supporter of Terrorism ans a supporter of Mundine likewise. :mad: