• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Thinking of keto, I need help

The biggest thing with keto is wrapping your head around the macro split, especially during induction.

fat needs to be 60-70% of your total calories, and during induction even higher.

protein will be lower than normal, and carbs initially in induction only trace amounts.

i used a lot of MCT/ coconut oil on keto as it rapidly converts to ketones and will speed the process. The best for this is a product called brain octain by bulletproof. It is a ultra refined version of coconut oil, and without getting too technical is 100% caprilic acid, that fuels ketosis extremely well, and enhances the brains usage of ketones. Regular coconut oil was also a staple, and contains Lauric acid, and both are great for gut health.

keto is good in that is supressed hunger, but you never truly feel satisfied after eating. Food selection is very limited, and you get sick of meat, eggs and avocado very quickly.

personally, keto was great for my general gut health, but subsequently my reflux got worse due to a existing challenge I had.

work towards to a 70/25/5 split for calories F/P/C and be super strict during induction, use periods of intermittent fasting to further speed induction, with cardio.

for me it is a effective, not not sustainable diet.

How long would you go keto for? I don't think it's something you want to be doing for too long, maybe just until you reach your BW and BF target.

The biggest thing with keto is wrapping your head around the macro split, especially during induction.

fat needs to be 60-70% of your total calories, and during induction even higher.

protein will be lower than normal, and carbs initially in induction only trace amounts.

i used a lot of MCT/ coconut oil on keto as it rapidly converts to ketones and will speed the process. The best for this is a product called brain octain by bulletproof. It is a ultra refined version of coconut oil, and without getting too technical is 100% caprilic acid, that fuels ketosis extremely well, and enhances the brains usage of ketones. Regular coconut oil was also a staple, and contains Lauric acid, and both are great for gut health.

keto is good in that is supressed hunger, but you never truly feel satisfied after eating. Food selection is very limited, and you get sick of meat, eggs and avocado very quickly.

personally, keto was great for my general gut health, but subsequently my reflux got worse due to a existing challenge I had.

work towards to a 70/25/5 split for calories F/P/C and be super strict during induction, use periods of intermittent fasting to further speed induction, with cardio.

for me it is a effective, not not sustainable diet.

this is one of the best and easiest to follow explanations.
after a few days maybe not so extreme... but everyone is different, and you need to experiment.
if your not the experiment type, it may be hard, because what you read may be way wrong for you, and you need to know when to adapt, but when not to change.

good luck, first into is hard. i did it about 5 times before i got ok at it, and never do full keto now, all i do is dip in into keto each week as a cycle. (or once every few weeks, depending how i look and feel)

Last edited:
How long would you go keto for? I don't think it's something you want to be doing for too long, maybe just until you reach your BW and BF target.

I typically would be keto for a month, then cycle back into carbs for another month or so.

i have never stayed in full ketosis for longer than a month, not for strategic reasons, but I usually get very sick of the same food, and my wife hates my keto breath!

variety is the spice of life!

Just eat meat
If you're lethargic, eat a fattier cut of meat

I Would never have the discipline to eat only meat..... Not enough variety

Also if eating leaner cuts the higher protein can convert to glucose through glucogenisis.

My issue with keto is that it is so unforgiving.

You can't decide to have a bunch of carbs for a bit of a break and then go right back into it. You have to get yourself back into ketosis. Too stressful for me!

Years ago I did keto and found it pretty easy to stick to provided you don't go out a lot, although I wasn't using keto sticks or anything I did experience the best fat loss. I could easily eat eggs and Bacon for breakfast every day, easily eat steak or chicken for lunches and dinner, the biggest issue is getting enough fats in, bit I guess with avocado, nuts and some Mac oil in shakes etc it shouldn't be too bad, maybe I should give it another go for kick starting my fat loss...

I Would never have the discipline to eat only meat..... Not enough variety

Also if eating leaner cuts the higher protein can convert to glucose through glucogenisis.

I've come to the conclusion that ketosis is a side effect of dieting and not something to actually be sought after
So gluconeogenesis or not, fat ratios, whatever. Doesn't matter. Ketosis or not won't make a difference

I've come to the conclusion that ketosis is a side effect of dieting and not something to actually be sought after
So gluconeogenesis or not, fat ratios, whatever. Doesn't matter. Ketosis or not won't make a difference

Depends on the goal.

keto is best known for its appetite control and energy management.

I agree ketosis is a side effect of a particular diet, but I see value in it. I believe there are benefits to be had from a energy/ cognition perspective whilst still being in a caloric deficit.

the appetite suppression, probably a product of the saitey of fat, rather that actual ketone mechanism, so won't argue there.

my only perspective on this is purely personal, not from literature/ studies, but I have more energy and mental cognition on 2200 cals keto than traditional cutting macros. Appetite, jury is out, I am not as hungry, but never satisfied after a meal.

the appetite suppression, probably a product of the saitey of fat, rather that actual ketone mechanism, so won't argue there.
True, however there's another mechanism at play here Dave, and that is the stimulation of the hormone cholecystokinin (cck) by the relatively high intake of protein. I say relatively since there's virtually no carbohydrates to speak of, possibly serving to magnify that stimulatory effect of the ingested proteins in the absence of carbs.

The above is achieved when the CCK acts on the vagall neurons (belonging to the parasympathetic nervous system), leading back to the medulla oblongata , resulting in a brain signal that instructs: "thanks, I'm full." A bit of an opposite to our friend Gherlin, which tells the brain : "hey, I'm hungry"!

There's another appetite relating hormone which I wrote about back in 2009 which you may find interesting Dave:

Re-Feed & Re-Lose

Calories in Calories out my way!

Last edited: