• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
IA could u seriously ask him his secret next time u see him?? Gear or not his double the age and squatting more than myself ever!!

He's an abrupt sort of fellow, doesn't talk much. Part of the po-po so I doubt any gear use, but you never know.

I'll try and have a chat with him when I see him next.

Guess what this guys doing on a busy day at the gym. While i waited to do squats!!

curlsquatrack2-1.jpg

Seriously though, why do people use the squat rack for curls? What are they worried that if they lift the bar off the ground that 40kg might kill their back.

At my commercial gym, the fixed weight bars max out at 35kg so if you want to curl more you've got to get one of the olympic bars and load it up or the single ezycurl bar thats available. A lot of guys opt for the squat rack instead of the bench press. Either way they need to take a bar from a station as there's no spare olympic bars lying around. I saw some pretty big guys doing bicep curls in the squat rack there yesterday but were curling 50kg from memory. I curl 45 but do it with the ezycurl bar over near the bar rack away from the squat station.

Bloody commercial gym needs more weights.

Cheers,
Mike

From el Rippo
This is because the degree of supination of the forearm and hand directly affects the amount of bicep in contraction, as discussed earlier. The EZ Curl bar does in fact take the stress of supination off of the wrists and elbows, but it does so at the expense of a quality bicep contraction. The camber of the bar is specifically intended to decrease the supination of the forearm, and anything less than full supination results in a less-than-complete biceps contraction.

From el Rippo
This is because the degree of supination of the forearm and hand directly affects the amount of bicep in contraction, as discussed earlier. The EZ Curl bar does in fact take the stress of supination off of the wrists and elbows, but it does so at the expense of a quality bicep contraction. The camber of the bar is specifically intended to decrease the supination of the forearm, and anything less than full supination results in a less-than-complete biceps contraction.

Fair enough. Except. For someone like me who has suffered chronic tendinitis in both wrists, I can guarantee it is great. Difference between about double the weight and weeks of no lifting.

Saw a 78 year old man at the gym. He's squatted ~230kg and deadlifted ~245kg a few months ago. He used to be a shot putter and pole vaulter 50 odd years ago at the same uni I went to. He started powerlifting at 70 years old and has since got much stronger, and still getting stronger. Gave us all some tips on how to train smart and get strong.

I love that he started at 70. Inspirational.

That's what I want when I'm in my 70s - to be the old guy in the gym putting everyone to shame.

Nothings more hilarious than watching the biggest, buffest guy at my gym singing along to Justin Bieber & Taylor Swift when they come on Channel V, knowing every word hahahahah! :D