• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The truth about abs - stop doing crunches

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member

Summary:

• Primary goal should be to reduce body fat first (diet, cardio, overall fitness), then worry about a sweet iron board
  • Crunches have little to no effect and may actually be detrimental
  • The three key lifts (overhead, dead, and squat) require a tremendous amount of core strength and can lead to a strong core over time
  • Six pack = Friends

Do you do pushups or bench press to build your chest? I feel same principle applies to abs. Weighted all day. Made in the gym. Revealed in the kitchen

He said; do them (for strength) if needed.

its a good exercise, better than sit-ups.

An even better movement is hanging leg raises, if you can do these, with a straight leg, even better (all the wat to the top) for the abs, if you could! You'd have a very strong mid section, I like what he said about; if you're going to work the abs in this manner you should also pay equal attention to the back.

And he looks like a garden gnome.

Actually, those lifts don't stimulate the muscle enough to induce hypertrophy (I can dig up the research somewhere if you want it). I recommend something like cable crunches which is a good spinal flexion exercise. Hanging leg raises involve hip flexors too much

I hate doing ab's specifically, I have never done them and they were starting to peak through at 19% bf.
Engage in every workout is my plan! And im sticking to it!

Actually, those lifts don't stimulate the muscle enough to induce hypertrophy (I can dig up the research somewhere if you want it). I recommend something like cable crunches which is a good spinal flexion exercise. Hanging leg raises involve hip flexors too much

I tend to agree with this. I find the hip flexors and quads tend to fatigue before the core for me so I can't effectively train them.

Front levers work better :)

I also have been doing some weighted decline situps. I do these after leg stuff and get a decent quad stretch at the same time.

I proved that as well a few weeks back. I did 300 decline crunches as a challenge. The next day, abs were fine, but my hips were really tight.

I proved that as well a few weeks back. I did 300 decline crunches as a challenge. The next day, abs were fine, but my hips were really tight.

I dunno, IMO if you can do 300 decline crunches you're not doing them right. Maybe moving at hips not dragging your shoulders towards your pelvis with your abs?

It was on a 30 degree decline bench with my feet locked in. I think at this angle, there is just too much tension on the hips and they take over. There's not enough isolation for the abs.

I did try this again on a proper decline ab thingy. The one that looks like a chair fallen backwards and I definitely felt it more. But like jzpowa said, you also feel it stretching out the quads.

An exercise I use sometimes is when laying on your back, have your knees in the air at a 45 degree angle and a plate held above your head. Then lower each leg at a time while extending the plate behind you. Almost like an upside down ab roll out. I feel this in the abs the next day and you can increase the weight.

An exercise I use sometimes is when laying on your back, have your knees in the air at a 45 degree angle and a plate held above your head. Then lower each leg at a time while extending the plate behind you. Almost like an upside down ab roll out. I feel this in the abs the next day and you can increase the weight.
Might have to give this one a try

The specific trick with this exercise is to lift your feet over your head, if you can do that your doing ok.