• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The sunglasses thread

I love them very comfortable for me, you would really have to go into a shop and try them on to see.

If you are in Sydney go to their Bankstown Store, that's where I bought mine, only went there as a mate was buying boots there and I tagged along, saw the sunnies, tried them on and walked out with them. I bought the non polarised ones, as I get annoyed with polarised sunnies.

I have the 'Shear' ones which fitted me payed $89 from memory, non polarised, polarised ones were more, about $120 or so, but I don't like it, makes tinting on cars and stuff look like a crazy mess.

Last edited:
The cheap knock-offs that I got in my Thailand trip look like the real thing (even has logo on it like oakley, ben sherman, and Rayban) and fit me better than a lot of stuff I've tried back home. Funny that! Plus you can't beat the price, only 150 Baht ($5) lol.

Got to be careful with cheap asian or servo sunglasses, as they will damage your eyes.

A lot have no or very little UV protection, but they cause your pupils to open up wide (due to being dark), allowing more UV into your eye, causing damage to the optic nerve.

I will never wear cheap servo sunnies with unknown quality control, would love the price, but not keen on eye damage in this harsh country.

Well it does have a 100% UV protection sticker on it when I bought it, obviously can't tell if it's taking the piss or not. Wish there was an easy way to tell if my lens are UV enabled. Polarised I know, UV.. no.

Anything sold in Aus is supposed to meet minimum UV protection standards even servo sunnies. Dodgy Asian countries, who would know.

Well it does have a 100% UV protection sticker on it when I bought it, obviously can't tell if it's taking the piss or not. Wish there was an easy way to tell if my lens are UV enabled. Polarised I know, UV.. no.

Not sure if there is any way of testing it??

Would be great if you could, 100%UV seen those stickers on the servo sunnies.

Anything sold in Aus is supposed to meet minimum UV protection standards even servo sunnies. Dodgy Asian countries, who would know.

I too have heard this, but not sure how well it is enforced, or who would enforce it?? I mean protein powder is supposed to contain protein as well, but that does not seen to be the case in all cases.

Then again how do we know the more expensive glasses comply….damn where does it end??

Australian sunglass standard

In 1971 Australia was the first country to introduce a national standard for sunglasses (AS 1067.1: 1990 'Sunglasses and fashion spectacles'). Australia is now one of the few countries along with UK, Germany, France and USA to have a standard for sunglasses. AS/NZS 1067 is the only mandatory sunglass standard in the world and the requirements for complying with the Safety Requirements and Performance Requirements sections are quite demanding. All sunglasses sold in Australia must comply with the standard.

The standard defines five categories of lenses:

Lens categoryDescriptionAdditional markings
0Fashion spectacles - not sunglasses very low sunglare reduction - some UV protectionNONE
1Fashion spectacles - not sunglasses limited sunglare reduction - some UV protectionNOT SUITABLE FOR DRIVING AT NIGHT
2Sunglasses - medium sunglare reduction and good UV protectionNONE
3Sunglasses - high sunglare reduction and good UV protectionNONE
4Special purpose sunglasses – very high sunglare reduction and good UV protectionMUST NOT BE USED WHEN DRIVING

Sunglasses that comply with the requirements of AS/NZS 1067 shall be labelled to state this compliance. Sunglass lenses in lens category 4 must be marked with the prescribed symbol and the warning "MUST NOT BE USED WHEN DRIVING".

In addition to the AS/NZS 1067:2003 label several other markings may be found on sunglasses. Sunglasses labelled “EPF 10” (Eye Protection Factor rating 10) actually exceed the requirements of AS/NZS 1067. Sunglasses may also be labelled “Absorbs 100% UVR”.

That's all good, but who enforces it if Habib buys a box of sun glasses on line from Taiwan to sell in his servo??

I am not doubting the standard exists but is it enforced, there is a lot of laws that never get enforced.

That's all good, but who enforces it if Habib buys a box of sun glasses on line from Taiwan to sell in his servo??

I am not doubting the standard exists but is it enforced, there is a lot of laws that never get enforced.

No doubt someone gets paid to check this shit out. A $200 price tag makes no guarantees either.

Stick to brands know for their glass like RayBan or Oakley, you will get good protection.
Parra and Gucci are known for handbags, not sure how good their glass is.

Got to be careful with cheap asian or servo sunglasses, as they will damage your eyes.

A lot have no or very little UV protection, but they cause your pupils to open up wide (due to being dark), allowing more UV into your eye, causing damage to the optic nerve.

I will never wear cheap servo sunnies with unknown quality control, would love the price, but not keen on eye damage in this harsh country.

If you really want to ensure the glasses you get have been tested to verify with the various standards then stick with safety glasses. They're required to comply with much more rigorous testing than regular sunglasses.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

If you really want to ensure the glasses you get have been tested to verify with the various standards then stick with safety glasses. They're required to comply with much more rigorous testing than regular sunglasses.

Funny you should say this.

I used to wear tinted safety glasses all the time when I was doing construction work. Still wear them when riding motor bikes.

Yup.. Having only ever worked in resources and construction I find it damned hard to fork out for a pair of "fashion" glasses when I know I can have a much higher quality pair of safeties for 1/4 the price