• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The slingshot

Is it supposed to go over the elbows or should it only be on the upper arm?

Most people I have seen have it just past the elbows so that if your shoulders aren't retracted it won't be touching your chest, then you arch/retract into it

I have used both, and the slingshot is easier for me than the shirt, the shirt has so many more variables including the pain lol. That's just for me.

lol fair enough.
i prefer the shirt because of the extra support, and i tend to pull the bar down quick (which suits the shirt more than raw/slingshot)

I would prefer the shirt if it didn't cut me and make my fingers numb lol. Obviously in order to get good at using the shirt i need to use it, but i prefer the slingshot for the overload training.

I have only used my slingshot for form. I have barely used it in my training sessions but a chunk of that was to do with not having a spotter. I have found out that a bench press with a slingshot can turn into a skullcrusher pretty quickly!

Weak babby forearms
I had the same happen today, never really trained my wrist flexors before. Was fine after I wrapped my wrists

Did 8x80kg for my light bench day. My triceps were fucking fried and they are painfully cramping up at the moment

I've got one but haven't used it in any sort of programming really just loaded it up for some doubles and triples for lockout work. This thread just reminded me to use it again :)

I agree that it could definitely help with increasing volume/frequency for people with shoulder/elbow niggles.

I used the slingshot for about 12/15 sessions over a month, doing about 6 sets 2- 5 reps between 85 and 95% of my slingshot max every session and got awesome results. I'm bench only at the moment so that helps, but i found that huge volume and intensity was really manageable with the slingshot,even with my shitty elbow and shoulder. Awesome tool, allowed me to train 3 times as often as i usually can for bench.

I've been using a similar product and have been getting results like Chum.

Make sure you're really focussing on exploding off the chest, using the assistance to blast through the transfer point. That way you'll be training explosiveness, and be able to handle heavier weights for more volume.

thought on programming with a slingshot for a high frequency bench program like smolov jnr?

I was thinking doing half of the sets as normal with normal bench max used then half of the sets with slingshot with inflated max.

Pros
Still get same total volume
easier on shoulders than all raw

Cons
less raw bench practice

Alternatively, run smolo jnr as normal and then do a few extra sets with slingshot but I'm thinking that would just be too much volume for my shoulders.

thought on programming with a slingshot for a high frequency bench program like smolov jnr?

I was thinking doing half of the sets as normal with normal bench max used then half of the sets with slingshot with inflated max.

Pros
Still get same total volume
easier on shoulders than all raw

Cons
less raw bench practice

Alternatively, run smolo jnr as normal and then do a few extra sets with slingshot but I'm thinking that would just be too much volume for my shoulders.

Either way its alot of work for your shoulders, best way to find out if yours can handle it is to simply have a crack
I have found that my shoulders are screaming after using the slingshot so obviously a weakpoint

went for option A. Benching with slingshot even with the heavier weight is much better for my shoulders so I think this should be doable. I just hope it transfers to a somewhat respectable bench.

the slit in the sleeve is supposed to line up with your elbow.

This is incorrect, it's simply to allow you to pull it up easier.

It's meant to sit above your elbow a little... Mark did a video on this not too long ago - he's considering removing the slit in future versions to avoid people thinking this.

However, I used it around my elbow for this very reason until seeing that video and saw good results.

mine doesn't have a slit, I just assumed he meant the middle seam
I watched a video of Mark Bell explaining where to put it and he says line the elbow up with the middle seam

This is incorrect, it's simply to allow you to pull it up easier.

It's meant to sit above your elbow a little... Mark did a video on this not too long ago - he's considering removing the slit in future versions to avoid people thinking this.

However, I used it around my elbow for this very reason until seeing that video and saw good results.

this. around the biceps basically.

I'll have to give that a try, when i first wore it someone told me its supposed to go there, and its always felt perfect.