• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Sign of Strength?

What is the marker of absolute strength?

• Bench

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Squat

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • DL

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Other - please specify and elaborate in your post

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
So, the sign of strength, if forced to choose, appears to be the DL, followed relatively closely by the Squat...and quite a few chose other.

And whilst I realise there are other exercises one can do to show pure strength and obviously a combination of the compound lifts, shows complete overall strength. The question was just,if you had to choose one, which one is most impressive, or do you find to be the lift of pure brute strength.

I said DL.
One friend said the Squat.
Two others also said DL
And one refused to choose lol

Interesting results. Thanks forum gents!

Can I ask a question, which may sound stupid I realise, but I'm no PL'er and I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on this.

Alot of the Power Lifters I see or have seen on youtube, appear very short, or have very short legs. Does this make a DL easier? There doesn't appear to be a great distance from floor to lock out and these little guys seem to lift massive numbers and make it look very easy!

I know obviously you have to be strong, regardless of your height - but do the length of legs and arms, make a difference to DL's or form to be able to get the best out of your DL numbers?

I have noticed and recall many discussions on the forum where members complain of arm length and leg length as a reason to their DL numbers being effected...but I don't recall any real advice or feedback on it?

What is the answer?

Is it easier, to DL, if the distance from pulling off the floor to lockout is a much shorter distance?

Bench: Short arms is an advantage

Squat: short legs

Deadlift: short torso, long arms.

Hmm that's interesting. Thanks Bazza :)

Why would a short torso be an advantage for DL's?

Less momentum to leverage back up again from pulling off the floor?

Short legs aren't considered an advantage to a DL? Hmmm that's interesting.

I know it's probably a stupid question, but of all the vids I've seen and watch, so many of these blokes are short, short torso, short legs...I don't know about the arm length...but they look like little nuggets. I just wondered, that's all.

Hmm that's interesting. Thanks Bazza :)

Why would a short torso be an advantage for DL's?

Less momentum to leverage back up again from pulling off the floor?

Short legs aren't considered an advantage to a DL? Hmmm that's interesting.

I know it's probably a stupid question, but of all the vids I've seen and watch, so many of these blokes are short, short torso, short legs...I don't know about the arm length...but they look like little nuggets. I just wondered, that's all.

Short torso is an advantage because it is a shorter leaver arm.

Basically long torso means you have to squat deeper down to reach the bar. Short torso you can have hips up higher and be in a stronger position to start the lift.

Shorter legs are not necessarily an advantage in the deadlift. If you shorten your legs your torso proportionately gets bigger and your back to making the deadlift more difficult. A lot of good deadlifters have reasonably long legs. Also shorter legs usually means short arms. So that doesn't help.

Sorry i am not sure I explained it that well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336630305.664901.jpg

The person with a shorter torso needs to lean forward, more emphasis on the lower back which is not good if you want to show strength.

But ironically this exercise is perfect for this person if one is interested in building it.

Does that makes sense?

View attachment 3109

The person with a shorter torso needs to lean forward, more emphasis on the lower back which is not good if you want to show strength.

But ironically this exercise is perfect for this person if one is interested in building it.

Does that makes sense?

Yes, it does.

Thanks Andy.

Hmm interesting. I just wondered about it, thats all.

Thanks for answering :)

How are you going?

Still punching bags?

Got back into lifting after some time in hospital. 200/130/240 total which isn't a bad start for not lifting in 2 years, going for 220/140/260 at the nats.

Still box occasionally, coach keeps being dog though.