• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The repetition

The rep

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mostly, depends on where I am in my training cycle. Sometimes I need the weight to move fast, or I'm at a point or weight where it should move fast, and if it doesn't that could be problematic. Other times, it doesn't matter how slow it is, so long as it moves. Though, I am always trying to move the weight as fast as possible. Unless I'm being stupid and need to give myself a kick in the pants.

If I want more time under tension, I'll just do more volume. The only time I slow down the negative is either if I'm dive bombing the weight and it's throwing me off, or I want to squat without a stretch reflex.

This pretty much sums up my approach.

If opinions vary, why did you post the topic if you're only going to rubbish other opinions as garbage without offering any substantive response. Poor form really.

I regard an eccentric twice as slow as the concentric as super slow.

What I wrote is applicable to anyone wanting to use exercise as a means of getting bigger and stronger. Some people will want to use exercise primarily as a means of getting big. That's fine, and a slow negative is a useful for them.

Many big benchers will train using these methods though.
The video linked above is Kirill Sarychev and benches 700lb raw
Kennelly does the same thing and so does Mendelson and Hoornstra, Spoto also

Many big benchers will train using these methods though.
The video linked above is Kirill Sarychev and benches 700lb raw
Kennelly does the same thing and so does Mendelson and Hoornstra, Spoto also

What you'll notice with Sarychev is the first rep of each set is much slower, gets his positioning and groove and then attacks the lift a lot more on subsequent reps. I've noticed his comp lifts are actually faster. I wouldn't be surprised if the training strategy is more about technique than anything else, rather than trying to elicit a specific response from a slow negative.

Kennelly, Spoto and Hoornstra doesn't use overly slow negatives at all, at least not in their comp lifts.

Other great all time raw benchers use a faster negative, check out Larry Pacifico for example.

What you'll notice with Sarychev is the first rep of each set is much slower, gets his positioning and groove and then attacks the lift a lot more on subsequent reps. I've noticed his comp lifts are actually faster. I wouldn't be surprised if the training strategy is more about technique than anything else, rather than trying to elicit a specific response from a slow negative.

Kennelly, Spoto and Hoornstra doesn't use overly slow negatives at all, at least not in their comp lifts.

Other great all time raw benchers use a faster negative, check out Larry Pacifico for example.

Yeah I am talking strictly in training here
Slow negative in competition is almost stupid, but Stan Efferding seems to do well from it on squats

I've seen disastrous results from people playing with tempo training, one lifter in particular, but it can have its place. Mike T throws in 303 tempo stuff for example, but I see it as a specific training strategy to deal with a specific situation, much like paused lifts, or partials, or accomodating resistance. The default position should be to adapt a natural rhythm to elicits a strong stretch reflex and the biggest force production whenever you can.

I asked [MENTION=4221]Sticky[/MENTION]; once how to control the weight, I believe his response (maybe only on the concentric) was "always move the weight as fast as possible". Based on his training experience I decided to leave investigating the issue there.

For me I focus on the max ammount weight being moved with good form.
This governs/dictates the speed at which I can move it, both neg and pos.
So it's, KGs + Form = My focus.

Jim Steele says that once you have the groove, it should "glide" downwards
But this is not powerlifting gooby is talking about here, it's essentially what people like to call "offseason training" and I think it's important
Worried about fucking your groove up? Don't use competition exercises. That simple

I want to hear gooby describe "the perfect rep"
bonus points for making it as erotic as possible

sure there is a joke about a painted van with blacked out windows and full of lollipops somewhere
can't quite place it though

I don't want to be the guy to upset apple cart, lately there talk about fast negatives building the same if not more muscle then a slow controlled negatives.