• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

the ptc workout..

I dont believe Markos intended on a specified rest period between PPP sets. From what I know of him his attitude would be as long as you lift it take fkn 4 hours if you want. :)

Correct me if Im wrong Markos. Although I dont think you are a believer in timing/tempo.

hahahaha

Its a 20 minute workout.

stop fucking around and blaming other things

If you cant do this in 30 minutes, try another sport, seriously

A statement like this just makes me doubt the validity of whatever this person has to say...
Anyway it's entirely the fault of the creator of the beginners program for not specifying such parameters! It may be obvious to them since they wrote it but to anyone else reading it who may be a beginner (and since the program IS intended for beginners this is highly likely) they could read ANYTHING into it!!

For one thing 20 minutes is stupid unless you're squatting 60kgs... 20 minutes equates to 20 / 18 (sets) is roughly 70 seconds rest per set if it takes 0 seconds to perform each exercise so realistically the rest period could be as low as 30-40 seconds.

Now it could easily take someone at least 50 minutes to complete the exercises if they took the standard recommended 3 minute rest period between each set (3 x 18 = 54 minutes). It's not THAT difficult to understand is it.

According to sources such as:
http://blog.myclub100.co.uk/personal-training/research-review-1-rest-and-fatigue-by-charles-poliquin/

Basically proves that extremely short rest periods equate to moving less weight in subsequent sets, which only result in taxing recovery ability.
Whereas longer rest periods equate to moving more weight and a greater load translates into higher activation of higher threshold motor units.

I briefly did the beginners program and from experience it does NOT take 20 minutes. 3x10 125kg squats with 30 sec. rest period LOL!!

I briefly did the beginners program and from experience it does NOT take 20 minutes. 3x10 125kg squats with 30 sec. rest period LOL!!

A beginner doesn't squat 125kg for 3 sets of 10. Markos said you're a beginner until you can squat 140kg bench 100kg and deadlift 180kg for 1 rep.

Well I'm still considered a beginner according to that program because my bench isn't up to 100kg's yet so...

Well I'm still considered a beginner according to that program because my bench isn't up to 100kg's yet so...

Then STFU and train instead of giving advice.

Seriously, how can someone who cant bench 100kg sit here and give people advise on training.

What do you weigh, 54kg?

Apologies if you are a female

My experience on timing for this program comes from my clients.

Max, Alen and Dim, training together, got it done in well under an hour, thats 3 guys, rest periods, adjusting weights etc.

They were using 130kg/140kg for their squats, same for their SLDL

Seeing how a lot of you guys use much less weight and train alone, 20 minutes is fine.

Dont be afraid to push yourselves

but if they push themselves, they'll need more rest meaning they will miss the bus.
Can't you just incorporate rest times in to your program?
and make sure it fits in with the local bus timetable (giving some way for traffic delays).. and don't forget to factor in the Failness First 3pm rush of treadmill patrons.
while you're at it, make it an iFail app too.. and make it free.. and Markos.. I need it by tonight.

Then STFU and train instead of giving advice.

Seriously, how can someone who cant bench 100kg sit here and give people advise on training.

What do you weigh, 54kg?

Apologies if you are a female

HAHA I'm not giving advice, I'm just sayin... it's stupid to assume beginners know what's what. You need to make things clear to 'em. And completing that in 20 minutes is stupid. I can say whatever the f.u.c.k. I want to anyway it's a bloody forum.
And yes I hate that my bench isn't 100kgs, but doing 3x8 3 times a week isn't going to get it there... I've just changed my training method and have already seen a significant improvement in the last month.

Anyway that shit doesn't matter. At least they are doing compounds even if it takes them 90+ mins, it's better than what 95% of the population are doing.

My suggestion to them, use a stopwatch, and if you're training with someone else, then you're fucked if there's only 1 squat rack and bench, because ya gotta wait turns. So try doing it by yourself at a different time to ya mate.

Last edited:
Post a video of your squat, I'm curious to see what it looks like...

No way am I gonna go through the trouble of trying to film myself at the gym, would be a hassle, and I'd look like a tool.

Ya think I'm doing quarter squats? I'm doing atg squats. It's my best lift next to Deadlift. Got fucked up genetics, long arms, big hips/thighs + ectomorph, means my bench and OHP suck in comparison.

I'm not sure he has to make things any clearer, he posted the beginner workout for free so we got more than we paid for. I take about 45-60min to do it by myself or with a partner, but that's because my conditioning is so bad I start yawning before I've finished the squats.

The workout is the simple bit, my problem is consistency. Keep a diary then you know what you'll be lifting next time and not standing there trying to remember what to load on the bar. Between lifts I write down the exercise, load the bar and lift. The diary also lets you see how lazy you've been because the days quickly add up without realising, and you can see the progress made when you do lift consistently. I also include the start and finish times of the session so I can see how long I took.

If it takes too long try to lift less but lift faster?

No way am I gonna go through the trouble of trying to film myself at the gym, would be a hassle, and I'd look like a tool.

Ya think I'm doing quarter squats? I'm doing atg squats. It's my best lift next to Deadlift. Got fucked up genetics, long arms, big hips/thighs + ectomorph, means my bench and OHP suck in comparison.
How is filming at the gym trouble? Watch this - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvCeRgMdNkA"]YouTube - Ghosty SQ 100kg x 22[/ame] - I take my phone and put it on the bench, and press record. Fuck that was hard.

My training sessions go for 90mins, but I'm doing 20-30 sets... The program you're doing should only take 20-40mins MAX.

What the fuck were those clowns on the other side of the gym doing? looked like jump rope for heart for special people or something.

Do you always lift without collars on the bar?

What the fuck were those clowns on the other side of the gym doing? looked like jump rope for heart for special people or something.

Do you always lift without collars on the bar?
Yeah I rarely use collars on the bar when squatting - never had the weights come remotely close to falling off, and, it's easier to try not to think about some of the stuff you see in there...:p

i dont use collars for anything, :p
i see it as a safety issue. especially on bench with no spot...alot easier to just tip one side of the plates off ;)

How is filming at the gym trouble? Watch this - - I take my phone and put it on the bench, and press record. Fuck that was hard.

My training sessions go for 90mins, but I'm doing 20-30 sets... The program you're doing should only take 20-40mins MAX.

Well I have an IPhone, it doesn't just "sit" on a bench, I'd have to ask someone to hold it or something.

I did the PTC beginners in about 40-50 minutes. But my cardio is what's holding me back, I can't even run for 5 minutes without being completely out of breath and covered in sweat head to toe (I'm not fat).

I just started doing a simple "from couch to 5k" program on off days and I find my squats (at same weight previously) are going up much easier.