• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Power of Belief

This is where I ask the question about the role of these types of forums;

Do we benefit from a forum full of anger and argument fueled insecurity (my way or the highway)or a forum mainly driven by personal account and support for endevours related to all forms of lifting.

One thing for sure is that internet killed the magazine star.

That is a good observation, one that I have seen you give before but neglected to take in

No more tears, only dreams now

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07wZiqJlu3U]only dreams now - YouTube[/ame]

Whether we like it or not we are all in the business of building our bodies we have just chosen different vehicles and the comment "this is a bodybuilding forum only" for example is just silliness.

Trust or belief?

I can trust someone, but not believe in their program. Than again, I can and do believe that for the majority of people any workout will be beneficial. So with that in mind I can say I trust someone, and know to a certain degree that their program would work, yet, still not fully believe in the program.
I guess we are all individual, some need to follow, some can lead, others prefer to go it alone and seek answers. I am one of these and all of them, depends where I'm at mentally.

That old saying..."the mind is a battle field", sure is IMO.
Example...squats to full failure, yeh yeh not recomended to do all the time yada yada...but if you want to find your inner strength, put some decent weight on the bar and go until you literally dump it behind you and collapse.

I've done it, I used it to measure myself...physically, mentally, emotionally.....than I spewed lol, but it showed me another side of myself.

I often wonder if the reason that I am succeeding on my current program is my belief in it
I never got much progress on 5x5 type routines, why?; well they are fucking boring!!
The routine I am on now is great. I have the BELIEF that it works. Lots of people got strong with Bulgarian style training!

I think that the BELIEF that a training system will work for you, as well as actually ENJOYING the training (to the point that I'm adding in extra sessions because it rocks so fucking much) is more important than the actual training system you choose. I'd even go as far as to say that it is THE most important thing

It shits me when I read some punk poo-poohing something that didn't work for them.

It also shits me to read some young turkey bag something that they have no idea about based on something that they have read by another person that's writing the same thing.

I often wonder if the reason that I am succeeding on my current program is my belief in it
I never got much progress on 5x5 type routines, why?; well they are fucking boring!!
The routine I am on now is great. I have the BELIEF that it works. Lots of people got strong with Bulgarian style training!

I think that the BELIEF that a training system will work for you, as well as actually ENJOYING the training (to the point that I'm adding in extra sessions because it rocks so fucking much) is more important than the actual training system you choose. I'd even go as far as to say that it is THE most important thing

Have you considered long term the toll you are taking on your body with maxing out constantly & average form (with reference to your caving knee squat videos).

The mind is a powerful tool and can be responsible for amazing feats of strength, it won't however save you from crippling physical injuries caused by biting off more then you can chew.

Anyway you have heard it all before if you believe you can do it and come out the other end of it alright more power to you. For what it is worth my opinion is (and feel free to disregard it) you are approaching strength training like a sprint when it is actually a marathon.

Have you considered long term the toll you are taking on your body with maxing out constantly & average form (with reference to your caving knee squat videos).

The mind is a powerful tool and can be responsible for amazing feats of strength, it won't however save you from crippling physical injuries caused by biting off more then you can chew.

Anyway you have heard it all before if you believe you can do it and come out the other end of it alright more power to you. For what it is worth my opinion is (and feel free to disregard it) you are approaching strength training like a sprint when it is actually a marathon.

My form is constantly improving and would be the same on any training program

In fact that raises a similar issue about mindset
You see the program as more chances to fuck yourself up
I see the program as more chances to improve

My form is constantly improving and would be the same on any training program

Yes true but your weights would be dialled back and alot of your work would be done at lower % of your max or % of a 'good' form max.

I know you get written off alot on the forum and that is not my intention here. I just want you to consider this-

Is it worth injuring yourself trying to do in 12 months what you could have achieved in 24 - 36 months with slower progression, simply because you found the programmes & gains 'boring' or slow?

As I said earlier it is just an opinion, no offence is intended. The mind can only carry you so far before the body will break.

Yes true but your weights would be dialled back and alot of your work would be done at lower % of your max or % of a 'good' form max.

I started not only using RPE's in training but the same rating with form. Lifts are done to 100% of my "good" form max. I give myself 1 thing to think about when I lift and as long as I do that it counts as good form. I tried thinking of everything at once but it was no good so now just think of one thing until it's perfect then think of another thing. I hope to tape my form soon.

I know you get written off alot on the forum and that is not my intention here. I just want you to consider this-

Is it worth injuring yourself trying to do in 12 months what you could have achieved in 24 - 36 months with slower progression, simply because you found the programmes & gains 'boring' or slow?

As I said earlier it is just an opinion, no offence is intended. The mind can only carry you so far before the body will break.

Yes. Why would I train if I didn't enjoy it? I don't lift for any sport or for any reason other than I enjoy it. Doing something that I don't enjoy would take that away

Yes. Why would I train if I didn't enjoy it? I don't lift for any sport or for any reason other than I enjoy it. Doing something that I don't enjoy would take that away

If thats the case go for it. No one is gonna come into the gym and say hey Oni stop training like that it's against all the laws of powerlifting. If you believe you can do it then do it and prove all the internet knockers wrong.

I recommend first though you take a look around the gym and talk to the older blokes cause I guarantee every gym has at least one half crippled guy in his 30's-40's who has bad shoulder/bad knee/bad back who thought he could train balls out every session when he was younger too.

Anyway I am leaving this thread now cause I can see it degenerating into an argument between us, which is not what I set out to do. I just wanted to provoke some thought in you regarding your theory that belief (the mind) can save you from poor programming.

If you were to drive from Perth to Brisbane, would you travel along the national highways at 55kph getting there in twice the time?

If there are any statisticians on here, I'd love to see the relative risk of serious injury in both situations

"A huge lesson that stood out to me from Dan John’s program is the lesson of faith. Faith is the hope for things uncertain and unseen. Believing I could get stronger, even when I was unsure in the method, was an act of faith. Dan said the program would work. He said I would struggle with the idea that the program would work. But Dan said, so I did. That is faith. I know having faith in something so small as a strength training program seems trivial. But how could I have faith in something huge, like love or God, if I can’t even have faith in something simple like a strength training program? Faith, like strength, needs to be exercised, too. Faith in little things can yield faith in larger things. A man walks a mile one step at a time, all the while
believing each step will take him closer to where he wants to go even when he can’t see past the horizon. We could all use a little faith. Without it, we are just staring at the horizon."