• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The only two stretches you need

0ni

Registered Rustler
I have come to the conclusion that in powerlifting there is only need for two stretches.

Bent-over Lat Stretch (on chair or bench)
Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch

Hold both stretches for 2 minutes each (2 minutes per leg with the hip flexor stretch). Hold your breath and then exhale and relax into it several times

This will fix 99% of the issues you have. I do them before every training session as there is no risk of muscle tears with these stretches (on the flip side, stretching your hamstrings or groin and then squatting into a larger range of motion which you're untrained in would be BAD)

I agree that if you have to stretch pre-training, these are the ones to do. They are essentially stretch antagonist muscles (whereas stretching prime movers before exercise has been shown to reduce performance).

But, that kneeling hip flexor stretch always fucks up and inflammes my hip flexors. I get much better results by doing bulgarian split squats or hip thrusts - something that gets the glutes going and loosens the hip flexors through reciprocal inhibition.

Nothing wrong with doing other stretches outside of training if certain areas get chronically tight. Calves are the worst. You only realise how much tight calves stuff up squatting once it's too late.

Yeah, any hip flexor stretch will do I guess. I normally just do a lunge.
Interesting about the calves, I stretch my calves most times I train them just from the exercise so never noticed this I guess

33?!?!?! that's the prime of your life!!
It's like those "sub masters" competitors, haha

I like the lat stretch too, have been doing it recently.

I let it get pretty bad though and still can't overhead press with the bar locked out 'completely behind' me.

Definitely some great stretches there, hip flexors get a hammering from powerlifting and if you're sedentary most of the day you're particularly vulnerable to tightness in the hips.

I like the lat stretch too, have been doing it recently.

I let it get pretty bad though and still can't overhead press with the bar locked out 'completely behind' me.

I like to put a load of weight on the bar at squatting height then face to one side and use it to crush the shit out of my traps. Works very well

I like to put a load of weight on the bar at squatting height then face to one side and use it to crush the shit out of my traps. Works very well

You mean face a plate and sort of roll it back and forth? I tried that.

You mean face a plate and sort of roll it back and forth? I tried that.

Have you tried REALLY loading the bar up? As in, the bar won't move no matter how hard you push up

I did a yoke walk a few weeks ago and it removed all my knotting too

100% agree on the yoke fixing things!!
200+ kg feels awesome afterwards. Haha.

I like that hip stretch Alex. But there is another I find more effective for me personally. Fucked if I know what it is called, its part of defranco's 11 warm up thingos. Starting on hands and knees, then moving knees outwards as far you can, and actively squeezing the floor at the same time, then get ya elbows on the floor and basically "squat". Losens up everything. I use more dynamically, with a 5 second hold "in the hole" as it were.

Cbfd explaining it better than that miserable effort but it gets me squatting in 3 or 4 minutes with no other mobility work...though I do grab the foam roller and hockey ball for some disgustingly painful extra work on the glutes, ITBs and inner thighs.

Tim.

Yeah I've tried a lot of things and these two get's me a perfect squat on my first set
Or as perfect as it's going to get haha

Before I couldn't even get to depth with less than 120kg!!

hi is there a good stretch for my groin apart from the dog piss style against a chair or something. the other day i deadlifted 106 kg and heard something pop in the groin region i have been experiencing pain in that region last 2 days not sure if its muscle or joint but doesnt feel good not sure if i need to stretch hip flexior but pain is definately in the right groin region.

Tried this just now, feels so good.. Glad I read this thread

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2