• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Myth of the Protein Blend

Bioflex

Site Advertiser
The Myth of the Protein Blend

After receiving a few emails recently from customers who insisted they required a protein “blend” I thought it would be worth writing a short piece to discuss the apparent benefits of proteins blends, compared to either a pure WPI or WPC.

It seems there is a bit of a misunderstanding here when it comes to these products, with many believing that if you combine a few different products you will somehow miraculously get the best of both worlds, with absolutely no compromises.

Before I start, here are a few examples of “compromise” which commonly exist, unfortunately it is a reality in the world we live in that something which is designed for one purpose will always perform worse at another purpose in which it wasn’t designed for.
I am a car man so I’ll give an example of my little truck. It’s made by Kia which isn’t very cool, however everything else makes it awesome. It has a 2.6 metre tray, low and high range 4x4 and looks like an arctic truck with huge (for it) 32 inch tyres. I’ve modified it quite a bit, last mods being a 4 inch suspension lift and a turbo.

Now, before I bought and later modified the truck I thought it would be the perfect vehicle. It can fit the wife and I, gets reasonable economy from it’s little diesel and it can take bikes, furniture or even 1.5 tonnes of soil in the back., I love to carry stuff around so it is usually full!

The reality though is that while it performs all of these tasks, it isn’t particularly good at any of them. Due to its 4x4 ability it sucks on the road, due to its high load capacity the back jumps around all over the place when not loaded up, so it rides very badly, and off road it would barely be more capable than a new landcrusier – which is a limousine compared to it.
The truck is now so high off the ground and rides so badly that my wife refuses to ride in it, which cancels out one of the main reasons for getting it. So, the truck which I bought to do “everything” now manages 1.5 of the 3 jobs it was purchased for…….

If I am losing you with car talk, then lets talk athletes.

I have a friend who was a fantastic powerlifter. At his peak he could squat close to 300kg, deadlift just over 300kg and bench around 270kg or thereabouts. While an absolute pinnacle of peak strength, his lifting or more so his eating (thanks to a single minded search for strength) saw his bodyweight climb to 145kg and his fitness become non existent.
As he got stronger his time for maintaining fitness declined, he became convinced that any time spent maintaining his fitness would compromise his strength. While this relationship isn’t strictly inverted (peak strength to fitness), the end result was him developing some serious health problems due to his bodyweight and lack of fitness. Only when it got so bad did he finally try to improve the balance, and now down to 115kg life is starting to be fun again.
At 145kg he could barely walk up stairs without a break, his fitness got that bad.

The same principle goes for any athletes, they build their physiques and fitness/strength bias for a given sport and it is very specific. If sports are opposing then it is very hard for them to be optimal at both, as the traits are mutually exclusive.
Sure I know the example of my friend is an extreme one, and many super athletes can be great different extremes, they would always be better at one if it became their sole focus.

So, what has this got to do with proteins and supplements?

Well, it seems many manufacturers are touting their protein blends as “the best of everything” and the term “sustained” absorption has become a bit misunderstood, no doubt deliberately misleading so people think it is perfect for all occasions.

If anyone knows about GI (Glycemic Index’s) you’d know that combining foods can have a significant effect on the absorption times of all foods in the blend.
As an example, although loaded with sugar something like Milo may well have a much lower GI due to all the fats in the mix. This is great in terms of reducing the effect of insulin, for those that don’t want the sugar hit, however it also means that it isn’t absorbed particularly quickly in the first place.

For some reason manufacturers have lead people to believe that if you combine a rapidly absorbing WPI with a slowly absorbed protein source such as Casein then you will get all the benefits of the fast absorbing protein source (which is reported to be great for post workout protein synthesis) as well as ALL the benefits of the Casein which slows down the absorption.
The reality though is that the protein blend will be absorbed slower than a WPI but will leave your system sooner than a pure casein would – as it is a compromise between the two.

Another tactic is throwing WPC into the mix which is supposed to magically create a middle ground in terms of protein absorption so that the end result incorporates a rapid, mid and prolonged absorption proteins for that absolutely perfect protein blend. As the WPI is absorbed so quickly it is great for post training and the Casein makes it ideal for night time use, or so they are advertised.
Again the reality is that it will neither be best for post training (due to the casein) or best for times when slow absorption is needed (thanks to the large amounts if whey) which are absorbed too quickly when sleeping.

The message here is that if you really are after proteins which serve different functions then you are best to purchase two different products, or use food for purposes when a sustained release protein source is required. When looking for a sustained release protein source from food don’t be afraid of fats, these are actually quite important for strength and recovery and due to the very complex digestion of fats, stay in your system (keeping you sustained) for much longer periods.
Cottage Cheese is a great example, with milk, cheese and meats being fine too.

To summarise, if you want a rapidly absorbed protein – buy WPI or WPC. Thanks to Max Brenners great research, it seems clear there is very little difference in terms of digestion times here.
If you are fussy about taste then use a WPI, if you have lactose issues then again use WPI, if for some reason you want absolutely no carbs or fats (this in itself is worth questioning), then again use WPI.

For everyone else though who neither has issues with taste or lactose, WPC is a much better choice as for any given amount of money spent you will get better results – per dollar you will get a lot more protein from WPC than you do with WPI.

Do not buy WPI over WPC as you believe it has benefits of more rapid absorption, while other benefits exist as mentioned above, this one isn’t one of them.

Another reason companies sell blends is simply so they can disguise something which contains a large majority of cheaper proteins (WPC or worse things such as skim milk or vegetable proteins) for a product which people think is closer to WPI.

If your WPI (or blend as it should be called) is down around 80% protein and has more than 5% fats and carbs then I can guarantee plenty of WPC is in there. While this isn’t a bad thing I am sure you are likely paying more than $30 a kg for something which has zero advantage over something like Bulk Nutrients WPC which at $99 for 5kg flavoured, is less than $20 a kg.
Funnily enough a pure WPC with minimal additives such as our Bulk Nutrients flavoured stuff, actually beats most blends when it comes to nutritional value.

Caseins are a different kettle of fish, as I believe that caseins do provide a different function and in isolation are ideal for night time use (or any time when frequent meals aren’t possible). By all means have them by themselves or even mix then with whey, however realise that whey and casein blended together will be a compromise somewhere between the two if had individually, so don’t fool yourself into thinking you will be having the best of both worlds.

If you are purchasing a blend for the fact it is better nutritionally than a WPC, and contains enough casein to mean absorption will be prolonged enough to make any kind of difference then this isn’t a bad reason, however before buying it is best to check these facts first.

Just to clear up a few things too.

- Blends aren't bad, they just aren't worth paying a lot more for if the protein level is similar to a concentrate (its better value buying a concentrate)

- Unless blends contain substantial amounts of casein, then they will not be sustained relase.

- Blending WPI with WPC does not turn something into sustained relase, it merely means you have a rapidly absorbed protein which is somewhere between the two nutritionaly (and almost always closer to a blend)

- Generally a blend is a way of manufacturers disguising a cheaper product for somethinbg more expensive.

quick question... (about blends make from bulk materials, not pre-mix ones)

if you had say, 30g WPI and 30g casein, does the WPI make the casein digest faster, or casein make the WPI slower?
or is the compromise compared to the protein peak in your system of having 60g of either (albeit at different length of time, ie a half peak at 3hrs and a 2nd half peak at 10hrs or something)?

or will Max say the time is irrelevant? :)

quick question... (about blends make from bulk materials, not pre-mix ones)

if you had say, 30g WPI and 30g casein, does the WPI make the casein digest faster, or casein make the WPI slower?
or is the compromise compared to the protein peak in your system of having 60g of either (albeit at different length of time, ie a half peak at 3hrs and a 2nd half peak at 10hrs or something)?

or will Max say the time is irrelevant? :)
Casein will SLOW down the digestion of the WPI due to the fact it forms a gel/clots within the stomach. So gastric emptying will be delayed and therefore nutrients being released into the bloodstream will be delayed.

Whey digests at around 8-10 grams an hours and Casein at around 6-7 grams. Those numbers are based on consuming the nutrients after a fasted period, meaning no nutrients had been previously consumed. Once you have food/nutrients consumed, especially other protein, Fats and Fibre, the overall gastric emptying rate will be slower, so therefore altering the behavior of the following nutrients.

FYI, both whey and casein have similar rates of amino acid appearence in the bloodstream with both showing up at the 20 minute mark. Again that is what has been shown in fasted conditions.

I hope that helps :)

that helps a lot! Thanks Max.

so.. really it makes very little difference in the end, especially if you are eating food as well? find your fav flavour of whatever type and stick with it? (oh, and eat real food too..)

Doesn't this contradict your "Proflex" blend which you market as sustained release?

Sustained Release Recovery Protein
Ideal for night or day use
WPI and Hydrolysates for maximum BCAA's
Casein for prolonged absorption
Ideal for men and women looking to supplement their diets
Contains up to 75% less fat and carbs and richer in protein then many of the products on the market
Great for dieterss
85% P, 3.7% F, 2.9% C

Great question Shrek and thanks for your input Max.
I was waiting for someone to mention Proflex.

My large concern with blends is whan they are marketed at being the "best of everything", like my truck example if you design something which is brilliant on road, then it won't work as well off road - a compromise always exists.

This is fine until companies market protein blends as having the rapid absorption benefits of WPI, while having all the sustained release benefits of casein. If the two are blended then the the benefits will be somewhere between the two, not as some would have you believe, the bets of everything.

So, where does that leave Proflex?
Well, assuming there is a significant difference in terms of whey vs casein absorption times (Max's examples show there to be somewhat of a difference on an empty stomach) then it leaves us with a product which is absorbed somewhat between the two, albeit with a high protein content and low in carbs and fats.

I'm looking into this further though as developing it into a product which is sustained over an even great period would be of benefit.

I look at Whey and Casein blends as optimal as you get the all the health and nutritional benefits of Whey protein (peptide fractions and amino acid profile) and Casein (casein peptide fractions and function within the stomach) in the one product.

I think far to much emphasis is placed on the individuals digestion times rather than looking at overall benefit each has on health, dietary and nutritional benefits.

It is like saying one type of food is best. All food types have their place and their own pro's and con's.

:)