• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Clean And Jerk

PowerBuilder

As promised, here is a very brief overview of the traditional clean and jerk. I wont go into a lot of detail. In some texts that I've read, a clean can be broken up into as many as 8 parts. EIGHT. For a lift that goes for between 1-1.5 seconds, there sure is a lot to be said about a lot.

Here's a single lift that I did today. It's not great. It will do though for this discussion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9il_fLjrQ]YouTube - 57.5kg clean & jerk[/ame]

When in the starting position, my feet are about hip width apart, slightly pointing outwards. Hips are higher than my knees. The shins are somewhat angled. My grip is shoulder width. Holding onto the bar using a hook grip.

HookGrip.jpg

As you can see my back isn't overly straight and locked. This is in fact a technical fault.

The first step is taking the bar from the ground to the knee joint. This is largely done by movement of the knee joint. Within this movement, the shins go from being declined to (ideally) vertical. This is called 'the first pull'.

During this portion, the arms are considered as 'chains', merely holding onto the barbell. Arms are to stay straight and as relaxed as possible.

It's important that the first pull is done right, since if you fail on the 1st pull, the rest of the lift may not be great.

Taking the bar from the knee joint to the hip joint is termed as the '2nd' pull. This is when the largest amount of power is generated.

Please note that your shoulder girdle is to stay over the bar as long as possible, while actively driving your hips through the bar, as quick as possible. During this stage, the bar is to either graze against your thigh, skim against it or come very close to it. The quicker you do this, the more upwards force the bar will receive.

Arms are still straight and as relaxed as possible. Remember their chains, merely holding onto the bar.

During this phase the shin bones are to remain vertical. It looks like I failed at doing this, but only slightly.

Okay! So now that the bar has been driven through your hip? Stand up as straight as possible. High on your toes. Shrug like you need it...let's be honest, there will be times when you need to. Try and touch your ears. I dare you!! This is called 'The Triple Extension' position. Three things are extended. Your ankles. Your knee joint and hip joint.

This is actually as high as the bar needs to be when cleaning it. If you pay close attention, it's about an inch or so higher than my naval.

How do you get under the bar now that it's in place? Well, some texts say there are 2 pulls to the clean, others say there are three. It's not often you see it quoted as three.

How a lot of people get under the bar is simply shifting your feet from a pulling position (when their hip width) to the 'receiving position', which is at least shoulder width. There are two things to note here. It's not a 'jumping' movement. Second, shifting your feet too wide can spell certain peril. If you go too wide, you're going to have a lot of trouble standing up.

So now that you've shifted (not jumped) into a 'catching' position, simply lower yourself down (DO NOT CURL THE BARBELL) by bending your arms. When catching the bar, the most effective and efficient way is to have your elbows pointing straight forward.

All you need to do now is stand up, as if you're half way through a front squat.

As you can see, there's a lot to think about. The culture in our club is to concentrate on 1 or 2 things during a lift. More than that and you'll botch it up. Different people need different cues. Right now I cue myself on not raising my hip at the start of the lift, before my shoulders. This means I lose a lot of power. Second, I concentrate on pushing my hips through the bar.

Comments? Thoughts?

Last edited:
When in the starting position, my feet are about hip width apart, slightly pointing outwards. Hips are higher than my hips. The shins are somewhat angled. My grip is shoulder width. Holding onto the bar using a hook grip.

IS that meant to read hips higher than knees? or am i not getting the point of this?

good read, a bit too advanced for me right now.. maybe one day

What i see:
Need to dip straighter - this will help your jerk. Pause at the 9 second mark, you have a slight forward lean. This is causing the bar to move on a slight angle infront of you rather than straight up. The effect this has is that you have more weight on your front foot rather than 50/50 front to back. This is clear as your knee travels further forward than it should once you land the jerk.
Coaching point - keep "on your heels" when dipping.
Warm up ensuring you get good bend in your back leg.

Can i guess that when you go heavy you currently lose jerks in front of you?

What i see:
Need to dip straighter - this will help your jerk. Pause at the 9 second mark, you have a slight forward lean. This is causing the bar to move on a slight angle infront of you rather than straight up. The effect this has is that you have more weight on your front foot rather than 50/50 front to back. This is clear as your knee travels further forward than it should once you land the jerk.
Coaching point - keep "on your heels" when dipping.
Warm up ensuring you get good bend in your back leg.

Can i guess that when you go heavy you currently lose jerks in front of you?

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. As soon as I caught the bar, I knew I fluffed up the jerk. Then when I watched it I saw it from a better perspective. I've shown the clip to a few local coaches and their main thiugts were the jerking forward.

It's been a while single jerking heavy, so I'm not sure how I normally go. I do though have a history of jerking forward and not up.

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. As soon as I caught the bar, I knew I fluffed up the jerk. Then when I watched it I saw it from a better perspective. I've shown the clip to a few local coaches and their main thiugts were the jerking forward.

It's been a while single jerking heavy, so I'm not sure how I normally go. I do though have a history of jerking forward and not up.

No worries.
Maintain upright posture throughout the lift and you will be laughing.
Train hard, compete easy.

Your not going to need a hook grip at under 120kg, unless your a girl.

I'm guessing not many on here are ever going to clean 120kg.

Max cleaned 120kg@70kg with a regular grip

Underground, do you have the TK knee sleeves in stock?

Your not going to need a hook grip at under 120kg, unless your a girl.

I'm guessing not many on here are ever going to clean 120kg.

Max cleaned 120kg@70kg with a regular grip

Underground, do you have the TK knee sleeves in stock?

Yes all sizes of TK sleeves in stock.

The benefit of starting with the hook grip is that it allows the elbows to come through faster, this is mainly because beginners tend to overgrip the barbell and use more arms than they should.

cool vid/write up.
I'm trying to learn this myself.

I have done a few cleans, but never jerk above the head.

Biggest question - what leg should go back when you split? Does it matter?

I simply push my clients in the back, whatever leg they throw forward to catch themselves, thats the leg.

What are your thoughts on jerking without a split? I'm not sure what it's called but you sometimes see people catch the bar in a sort of squat.

What are your thoughts on jerking without a split? I'm not sure what it's called but you sometimes see people catch the bar in a sort of squat.

Power jerk/Squat Jerk
Quite popular with Chinese and other asian lifters.
Requires extreme shoulder flexibility and upper back strength.