• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I am Dissapoint, SB. Cant believe you haven't brought up the blade-runner yet ...

Wake up! Time to die!

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here.

there is nothing worse than an itch, you can't scratch...

Hows that?

nah I don't have the patience or background to debate points about calve function with people on the internet. I prefer just to read what others write draw my own conclusions and move on.
Besides your way off the original topic. Here is something I read yesterday on sprinting since that seems to be the topic now.http://www.fitflex.com/ben-johnson-training.html
enjoy.

Reactions: C_T
At work ATM so cant youtube, will have a look tonight.
By most accounts the current top sprinters (Bolt, Blake, Powell,Gayle, Gatlin) arn't particularly strong on squats either.

Last edited:
yes, in terms of lifting heavy weights, not many sprinters that outstanding.

But, they certainly have power in the muscle expression that counts for fast running.

For myself, squats did play an important role in improving from 12.2, first year training, to 11.2.

all I am saying is that a whole lot of exercises could also have achieved similar strength gain.

I think SB will like this comment

Marcus Beasley July 14, 2013 at 3:28 pm Eric,
From my person exeriences, I believe the problem is that athletes aren’t strong enough in the right places. As an example, when I was 27, I could squat 485 ibs at a body weight of 190 and I couldn’t dunk. After reanalyzing technique, my i dropped the weight. Today I’m 32 and I full squat 315 at a body weight of 175. I can dunk with too hands. I just feel like athletes cheat on lifts and they’re not stressing the correct muscles for speed. No amount of speed work got me me to be more explosive. Only when I began to lift with proper form and muscle activation did improve.

I think SB will like this comment

Marcus Beasley July 14, 2013 at 3:28 pm Eric,
From my person exeriences, I believe the problem is that athletes aren’t strong enough in the right places. As an example, when I was 27, I could squat 485 ibs at a body weight of 190 and I couldn’t dunk. After reanalyzing technique, my i dropped the weight. Today I’m 32 and I full squat 315 at a body weight of 175. I can dunk with too hands. I just feel like athletes cheat on lifts and they’re not stressing the correct muscles for speed. No amount of speed work got me me to be more explosive. Only when I began to lift with proper form and muscle activation did improve.

like poetry that reads. truth.

I'd been thinking about this thread in recent days; as a powerlifter, I tend to overdo the assistance work to some degree - I've started to drop weight and up the reps, I'm finding it's surprisingly harder going than I thought it would be.

Kind of feels like I'm cheating until I hit rep 15 and my arms or legs are burning. It'll be interesting to see what effect if any it has on my numbers or bodyweight.

I'd been thinking about this thread in recent days; as a powerlifter, I tend to overdo the assistance work to some degree - I've started to drop weight and up the reps, I'm finding it's surprisingly harder going than I thought it would be.

Kind of feels like I'm cheating until I hit rep 15 and my arms or legs are burning. It'll be interesting to see what effect if any it has on my numbers or bodyweight.

That's good, i've written about metabolic conditioning and I still think it's the key, not just to health but increased strength

The basic idea is that the muscles, the heart, the lungs, and the circulatory system are all part of the same system.

Muscular contraction produces movement and drives the entire system. “A contracting muscle requires oxygen, and repeated contractions, more.
Contracting the muscles creates the need for oxygen, making the heart beat faster, and the lungs and the circulatory system work harder.

When the system works harder it gets stronger.

Contract muscles to the point of momentary failure and do it repeatedly, moving quickly from one body part to another, covering the entire body—and you will build both strength and endurance.

What’s more, you will do so more effectively and efficiently than traditional methods which attempt to train the muscles and the heart separately.
A strength-training program, properly designed, can elicit a cardiovascular response that equals or surpasses that achieved through traditional means.

More so than traditional lower rep/long rest powerlifting and bodybiulding split workouts, if you can call them a workout.

as arnie stated during one of these:

I’ve often experienced times during a workout where I had difficulty walking. But this is the first time that I’ve ever had difficulty lying down.'

well it can go hand in hand - 5/3/1 sets, 5x5 or 5x3 volume sets, then higher rep assistance. Cardio is my weak point - can't stand using machines, don't like walking in the dark, and sleeping patterns not conducive to early morning walking!

I actually find it harder to keep strict form in some of these bloody machines without hurting my joints or contorting into MY PRECIOUS just to get into the damn thing.

The design of some of these machines are proper woeful m8.

Now just a random thought but appropriate to this thread, I s'pose.. I think the overload principle is taken far too seriously amongst the gym rat population. Most are chasing 1-rm all day every day, pushing themselves to failure and beyond. The muscles adapt pretty damn fast but I'm not sure whether the tendons and ligaments can catch up with progressive loading just as effectively. So I reckon that's where most injuries stems from. Like how funny is it that people report being injured during their warm ups, as they rerack the weight, as they lower the deadlifts, ecetera!

^^^ I agree but I think the main issue for injury is pushing themselves too far too fast. Progressive overload is exactly that progressive, would you call a week of going to the gym then trying a 1rm say 50kg heavier that what you started at?

Chances are your going to have a bad day, especially when training partners can't tell properly what you can and can't do and tend to blow smoke up ones ass.

Over an extended period of time of progressive overload you shouldn't see many issues if any one you start reaching almost an elite Level of lifting.

My 2c.

That's why I like the sub maximal approach of 5/3/1. From what I can see in others, it's more that they don't warm up effectively, or attempt to do say 3x10 with a high percentage of their 1RM.

Harder part was getting out of the powerlifter mindset for the smaller isolation excercises; that weight on the bar is not the important thing.

Apologies if it's not already posted but is there any chance you post up such a program?

You can use anything that keeps you working very hard for no more than 20 minutes, barbell work, dumbbells, machines, kettle bells....anything.
anything
you include or add it to your regular established routines that you use throughout the week, there are just some things to note;

Once a week is enough for most, for some, only once a month.
this kind of workout needs some time to get use to, you need to workout what your limits are, this could take some time before you can really establish a high intense rate of work, I think 15 minutes is the most someone could stand, and it's not for most people, be prepared for pain.

An example;

just movements, it can be any exercise...the rep's are important, along with NO rest between exercises, using the maximum amount of weight to get you to positive failure in each exercise.

squatty movement x 30
pull x 12
push x 12
squatty movement x 20
pull x 10
push x 10
squatty movement x 15
pull x 8
push x 8

you can you any exercise, you can mix them up, like for the push, you could use in the one workout; bench,OHP, dip.

The amazing thing is, that when one becomes conditioned, he finds his recovery is so good, he could do it over after 15 minutes, of course you wouldn't because of overtraining, but the fact that your system is so improved, indicates you have become much stronger and efficient.