• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

testing one rep maxes - spotting and failing on squats

what if you started at 40kg? would you still say 120kg x 5 is a beginner level squat?

it is relative, i know a guy at work who benches 160kg (or at least he says he does). he is solidly built, but has never trained.

he would probably consider 160kg a beginner level squat.

i doubt anyone else would

what if you started at 40kg? would you still say 120kg x 5 is a beginner level squat?

it is relative, i know a guy at work who benches 160kg (or at least he says he does). he is solidly built, but has never trained.

he would probably consider 160kg a beginner level squat.

i doubt anyone else would

Untrained 160kg is hard to believe :/ Your neurons dont even know the movement

Untrained 160kg is hard to believe :/ Your neurons dont even know the movement

i agree, it is f_cking ridiculous, but he is a genuine meso/endo. bout 98kg and 5'10. he has massive legs too, and he reckons his mums legs are bigger lol

i hate him lol

I started squatting with 55kg, training partner started with 45kg. Yes, I would still say a 120kg 5RM is a beginners squat if they have been training for strength.

It may be relative but unless you're a women, very light, or have not been training for strength a 120kg squat is a beginners squat and you can probably improve upon it by just following a linear progression and eating enough for recovery.

Sorry but 120x5 is a beginner's level squat, especially at your body weight and that it's very likely you're squatting shallow. My 5RM is 145 at 84~85kg BW (82.5 for competition) and that's still a novice squat. If I tell you how much competing lifters at your body weight are squatting for 5 reps, you'll cry.

Actually I will. The guy training me today squatted 220kg 3x5 raw at around your body weight just to check his form on video. He hasn't even maxed out yet. One of the worst squatters in that weight class did 187.5 3x5 raw outside the rack and he didn't even need spotters.

There's nothing wrong with being a beginner. Plenty of elite lifters used to fvck around with sh1t lifts in their first few years of training before taking it up seriously and starting to move respectable weights.

Gee....what a thread. So much talk about something so basic. Working up to a rep where you can't do anymore

Like PTC I prefer to max out outside of a cage. I have the luxury t dump the weight behind me onto a wooden platform if he gets the best of me. With rubber bumper plates...it's not a problem.

K.I.S.S - keep it super simple. It's an art form as. Well as science.