• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ten Commandments of powerlifting.

Cal you can use both whether your a BB or powerlifter.

Look at westside they do low reps for max effort. Then use high reps for most assistance exercises.

In the same way BBs can benefit from some low rep work after doing a lot in the 10 rep range.

The marathon runner, sprinter comparison does not apply. A marathon is 42km compared to 100m, 420 times longer.

It would apply if i was saying a powerlifter should do some work with 400+ rep sets. Which we know no one does. 1 rep is not so massively different to 8-10 reps that there is not any carryover and can give a different stimulus to help powerlifting goals.

Last edited:
im talking about the main lifts, the only time i do more sets of 8 and 10 is like 2-4 weeks after a comp for active recovery, and basically this is just a build up so when u actually start the serious side of a cycle u dont need to jump from no training to near max effort sets. and so that your bodies not working hard to give it a break after maxing out.

sure you might used higher reps for assistance, i know i do lol but you would be stupid to train 8 and 10 rep sets with your main lifts at 100% effort for a long period of time, as you said westside do low rep max effort for the main lifts.

im talking about the main lifts, the only time i do more sets of 8 and 10 is like 2-4 weeks after a comp for active recovery, and basically this is just a build up so when u actually start the serious side of a cycle u dont need to jump from no training to near max effort sets. and so that your bodies not working hard to give it a break after maxing out.

sure you might used higher reps for assistance, i know i do lol but you would be stupid to train 8 and 10 rep sets with your main lifts at 100% effort for a long period of time, as you said westside do low rep max effort for the main lifts.

Cal what the fuck are you arguing about then. You just said don't do 8-10 reps for powelifting, now you say you are doing it anyway both main lifts and assistance.

I will also say higher reps can help on the main lifts. Add 20kg to your 8-10 RM and it's very likely your 1RM has gone up.

Doing some higher reps has really helped my deadlift. Also just broke a long standing 3 rep max on bench after a couple week stint at 8-10 reps. I love low reps but think I have been missing out by abandoning 8-10 reps for so long.

Before you say it I am not saying only train at 8-10 but it's another tool that a powerlifter can use.

Cal what the fuck are you arguing about then. You just said don't do 8-10 reps for powelifting, now you say you are doing it anyway both main lifts and assistance.

I will also say higher reps can help on the main lifts. Add 20kg to your 8-10 RM and it's very likely your 1RM has gone up.

Doing some higher reps has really helped my deadlift. Also just broke a long standing 3 rep max on bench after a couple week stint at 8-10 reps. I love low reps but think I have been missing out by abandoning 8-10 reps for so long.

Before you say it I am not saying only train at 8-10 but it's another tool that a powerlifter can use.
sorry, forgot to mention the active recovers isnt important, i didnt do any after the last comp, just went straight to heavy sets of 5 or 6

we go off the topic of "powerlifting and bodybuilding dont mix" and started talking rep ranges

im not saying ALL high rep stuff is bad, long term high rep stuff is what im talking about, an 8-10 rep stint for a couple of weeks isnt bodybuilding, its trying to break a Plato all you did was added more volume, another thing you could of tried was to do more sets... like 6x3 :)

what im trying to say is why would you waste your time bbing if your main goal is strength, ones going to take longer then the other

sorry, forgot to mention the active recovers isnt important, i didnt do any after the last comp, just went straight to heavy sets of 5 or 6

we go off the topic of "powerlifting and bodybuilding dont mix" and started talking rep ranges

im not saying ALL high rep stuff is bad, long term high rep stuff is what im talking about, an 8-10 rep stint for a couple of weeks isnt bodybuilding, its trying to break a Plato all you did was added more volume, another thing you could of tried was to do more sets... like 6x3 :)

what im trying to say is why would you waste your time bbing if your main goal is strength, ones going to take longer then the other

Higher reps can help. Plenty of powerlifting programs have high reps on main lifts, there is more than one way to do it.

Also I'm not saying concentrate on BBing if your goal is powerliftng. Never did. I am saying they are not so different and you can use parts from each to better achieve your goals. That is what I said form the start so don't twist my words.

Also how do you know what volume I was doing before hand??? No I didn't add volume. Over the time I had tried everything between high and low volume. It didn't move until I tied higher reps than what I was previously doing. May have been a coincidence but it worked and i will be giving it another go.

Mate at 15 or 16 if you think you have powerlifting all worked out you are going to limit how far you go.

Higher reps can help. Plenty of powerlifting programs have high reps on main lifts, there is more than one way to do it.

Also I'm not saying concentrate on BBing if your goal is powerliftng. Never did. I am saying they are not so different and you can use parts from each to better achieve your goals. That is what I said form the start so don't twist my words.

Also how do you know what volume I was doing before hand??? No I didn't add volume. Over the time I had tried everything between high and low volume. It didn't move until I tied higher reps than what I was previously doing. May have been a coincidence but it worked and i will be giving it another go.

Mate at 15 or 16 if you think you have powerlifting all worked out you are going to limit how far you go.
i wasnt saying you never tried to do that, i was just saying it is another choice you had if you tried it and it didnt work well then you need to try something else and you did and it worked

im also not saying i have powerlifting all worked out, i was just giving my opinion from what i know

i wasnt saying you never tried to do that, i was just saying it is another choice you had if you tried it and it didnt work well then you need to try something else and you did and it worked

im also not saying i have powerlifting all worked out, i was just giving my opinion from what i know

I hate high reps as much as anyone. Trust me it almost pisses me off to say the high reps worked because it means I probably have to do more of it.lol

If I could just do 1-3 reps for all lifts and keep getting stronger i would.

I hate high reps as much as anyone. Trust me it almost pisses me off to say the high reps worked because it means I probably have to do more of it.lol

If I could just do 1-3 reps for all lifts and keep getting stronger i would.
haha yeah, anything above 5 reps is a killer for me lol (except for assistance ;):D)

Johnny Jackson

img_29551300119737.jpg

Tinkers with powerlifting apparently.

both jackson and stan are great powerlifters and bbers but you have to remember when rheir focus is bbin then they will train like a bber...when they are training for pling then they will train like plers....of course they many use aspects of both...but u train and program to the goal at hand....

err... are most powerlifters natural or on juice? (or is that part of the "equipped" category? :D )

err... are most powerlifters natural or on juice? (or is that part of the "equipped" category? :D )

I define most as greater than (or equal to) 51%, how do you?

Your making a pretty big sweeping statement there. D'ya wanna back it up with anything?

And because i'm such a top bloke...

layne-norton.jpg

Layne Norton.
Life-time drug-free pro bodybuilder champion and national powerlifting record holder
in the Squat and Deadlift.

Your making a pretty big sweeping statement there. D'ya wanna back it up with anything?

how about I back up my QUESTION with more question marks? :D :D

are most powerlifters natural or on juice???????????????????????????????????????????????????
heh heh
'twas an honest question... :confused:
(fwiw, I was not aware of any of the PL guys on here using... didn't think roids was really part of the aussie scene at all)

how about I back up my QUESTION with more question marks? :D :D

heh heh
'twas an honest question... :confused:
(fwiw, I was not aware of any of the PL guys on here using... didn't think roids was really part of the aussie scene at all)
i think you will find the amount of natural lifters is much greater then that of ones who are on grear

Equipped means using squat suits, bench shirts and deadlift suits. Has nothing at all to do with drugs.

However in answer to your questions, from what I have heard a massive amount use them (but not everyone). Even in drug tested leagues like IPF, drug tested doesn't mean drug free.