• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Teenage Bodybuilding

gareer

After searching through AusBB I decided, to start a page for Aussie Teenage aspiring bodybuilders. As I am one myself I have some understanding of the predicament we can be in, in terms of social pressures, educational pressures amongst others. I wanted to turn this into a thread in which everything about it can be discussed.

I'll start it off by asking any other experienced guys out there. Where do you go to find out about Bodybuilding competitions in Australia? And when would you suggest is a good time to compete in one? Or what are some basic ones to compete in?

Finally, as I myself came to understand, bodybuilding is about being motivated and disciplined. If your finding it hard to train because of your friends expectations about going out, drinking etc. Explain to them what your doing, and if they're good friends they'll understand when you can't go out every time with them.

Gareer

Being a teenage once before (many years ago ) ,don't give into peer pressure

Being a teenage once before (many years ago ) ,don't give into peer pressure

Exactly, my friends make jokes occasionally about how I eat super healthy (compared to them) and I train alot. But the upside is that they've come to respect that and come to ask me for some basic advice. Plus, being told by girls that your aesthetically pleasing to look at is always a boost. Plus these days I barely drink/barely ever get drunk and they've come to understand that as well. Certainly can't understand these days why I would want to get wasted and out of control.

Gareer

How do you manage to keep friends if you dont drink? seems all of mine have not bothered contacting me unless they need their fkn car fixed... lol
Same situation dude except im not into bb, im getting into oly lifts n such, i dont drink, smoke or eat shit and i cop jokes all the time n it doesnt really bother me... but when friends start to drop off its a bit irritating... just glad the gf has the same views as me otherwise id be sitting by myself most nights of the week lol

I'm very fortunate in that, I do have some great friends. I do go out with them quite frequently and I'll buy them a round, but when they're drinking I'm having water or going up to new people. Best way to game a girl is when your sober anyway. Plus my drunk mates always seem to enjoy me hitting on girls.

Cheers, basically all im trying to say is, you always have options. Maybe once a month i'll get a bit drunk but I always do ask myself the question, is it worth it? And JMan if your training to be an olympic lifter you think your mates would have some serious respect for what your trying to achieve/how strong you probably already are. If not there might be something wrong

Exactly, my friends make jokes occasionally about how I eat super healthy (compared to them) and I train alot. But the upside is that they've come to respect that and come to ask me for some basic advice. Plus, being told by girls that your aesthetically pleasing to look at is always a boost. Plus these days I barely drink/barely ever get drunk and they've come to understand that as well. Certainly can't understand these days why I would want to get wasted and out of control.

Gareer

Wow because they are jumping off the cliff head first they want you to as well? Where is the "well done man"

Well here it is, well done man keep it up dont give in, say no to drugs, deadlift squat and keep at it!

How do you manage to keep friends if you dont drink? seems all of mine have not bothered contacting me unless they need their fkn car fixed... lol
Same situation dude except im not into bb, im getting into oly lifts n such, i dont drink, smoke or eat shit and i cop jokes all the time n it doesnt really bother me... but when friends start to drop off its a bit irritating... just glad the gf has the same views as me otherwise id be sitting by myself most nights of the week lol

I think you just answered your own quesiton there.. they arnt friends.

Im in the same boat as you and you will realise this one day.

Noobs is right if friends don't want to hang around with you because you don't drink then they are not your friends. Gareer I would suggest checking out a few junior comps and see how you go comparing against them. Best gauge to see where you are at.

I cant believe you think your better than your mates when you clearly drink as you've said yourself.

How about if your fair dinkum, NEVER DRINKING.

Just because you dont drink as often doesnt change things. What if you only snorted coke once a month?

So your young and you lift weights, that gives you no right to diss on your mates, your not living the idealistic lifestyle, your just practicing moderation.

Very hard to find a teenager these days whos never had an alcoholic drink.

I think its great that you dont drink as much as your mates, but I think it sucks that you drink at all.

Also, I'm not aware of your age, weight, lifts, competition history, so I may be making assumptions that your just a kid that trains in a gym. If indeed you are a bodybuilder thats had some success, I apologize unreservedly.

EDIT: I've just visited your training journal, STFU and train, you have no right to judge anybody, fix your own backyard first, your not a BB, your just a casual gym visitor

Last edited:
Gareer I would suggest checking out a few junior comps and see how you go comparing against them. Best gauge to see where you are at.

Cheers dave, where would you suggest I look for info on Junior Comps? Like is there a specific website?

I cant believe you think your better than your mates when you clearly drink as you've said yourself.

I don't know who your referring to exactly but I believe it's me so I'll respond in that, I in no way think I'm better than my friends for not drinking as much. They're my friends for a reason. I never said I was amazing for not drinking at all. I quite clearly state that I do drink on occasion and in moderation. Why the need to go out and burn someone who's just trying to help someone else? Seems a little harsh. And finally in terms of my training, I know I have a long way to go, but atleast I am trying where so many others become undisciplined and lazy. I'll sum everything up by saying, why all the negativity for simply trying to help and use myself as an example? I never stated something that I'm not and I never said that I was better than my friends, they ARE my good friends each for their own individual attributes. Dissing each other is what mates do.

Gareer

as a young guy (and im still realising this myself) you have to learn that you cant have everything, and whilst you can put on some decent size lifting and still have an avid social life you cant expect to drink and party and be a competitive bodybuilder.

also unless your a genetic freak or on drugs dont expect to get 'huge' as a teenager - my dads bigger than me and has never touched a weight in his life.

Im 22 and stopped drinking 6 months ago. I thought it would be allot harder than what it has been in terms of going out with mates and going to the football etc.

At the end of the day you have to think to yourself what the benefits of drinking alcohol are, it should then be a pretty easy decision.