• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[MartialArts] Taekwando

DKD

Private Dancer
I'm thinking of starting Taekwondo. I got a flyer about some classes that are just up the road from me, and my wife suggested me and my 7yo boy start going.

I reckon he'd have a blast and as for me, my main aims are

(a) get some good conditioning workouts
(b) improve general flexibility and especially hamstring flexibility, from all the kicks in that sport.

Has anyone done Taekwando and can comment on the effectiveness of the sport for the above 2 goals?

What did you like/dislike about it? I'm not concerned about the politics of competition/refereeing etc. I'll just be in it for the fun rather than serious pursuit.

I feel Taekwondo in this country is very commercial. If you want a good workout, try Judo, BJJ or Muay Thai kick boxing.

DKD, I started Tae Kwon Do when I was about 8 I think and I'd definitely suggest giving it a go. I loved having my dad come and watch me practice my moves and it would have been pretty fun if he did it with me.

It is good for flexibility etc and core strength. Plus no harm no foul. I think it'd be great for you and your son to do! Wish my dad had joined in with it.

hey DKD .. im a black belt 2 dan in TWD when i was 13 -19. I did very well in the sport as i sparred everyday with my older cousins. Weuse to have free for all brawls in the backyard lol..

(a) get some good conditioning workouts
Yes its very good as lots of jumping kicks, moving around.

(b) improve general flexibility and especially hamstring flexibility, from all the kicks in that sport.
I used to be made to do splits while my instructor stood on my hammies. I could do spinning roundhouse kicks and jump 1.5 times my height at age 16.

Highly recommend it.

I terms of competition u get to spar in comps above yellow dang.
Only thing i hated about it was u had to wear full body gear (chest/helmet/balls) when competing

We used to go to different TWD clubs and sparr against each other.. My club was rough as guts (bankstown) and we stopped getting invited back to comps when everybody we sparred against ended up with black eyes/bleeding noses etc ..

After blackbelt u can only advance one dang (stripe) every 2 years.. But u can teach your own classes.

In a street fight its useless.. As its more a distance fighting technique.. A street brawler will smack u out even if your black belt..

Thanks for the comments fellas.

Ceffo, is there anything you don't excel at? Your legend status keeps growing man! :eek:

Hi DKD,

I concur with Ceffo. I'm also a 2nd Dan black belt in TKD and former instructor. I recommend it to all my friends for precisely the two reasons you identified, conditioning and flexibility. As well as that I remember having to punch through piled rooftiles and do flying side kicks over 5 blokes side on bent at the waist for my Dans as an 18 year old as well as all sorts of overhead kicking breakages and heaps of 2 or 3 on 1 sparring, mega fun was had by all.

I recently contemplated returning to the sport and getting my 3rd Dan and doing it with my 5YO son but have yet to find a good school in Brisbane. Also, my boy went through a bit of a violent patch so we've decided to hold off on the martial arts training until he's a tad older.

Loved the sport and highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Mike

as above I have done zen do kai, mauy tai, a little kung fu, and taekwon do..

TKD is very focused on kicks , so will be great for flexability, and general athletisism. as for fitness i have always found that you need to extend this to outside the dojo, as in class just doesnt give you what you need, ( I would run 5km 4 times a week, and 2 hours of 3minute bag work 3 times a week,) when I was right into it. a huge 56kg lol,

I have never made black belt in anything but rather one belt under at everything...my technique was always up there and beyond, but I hated carta, and one step etc,

like you I just wanted it for fitness etc not for fighting..