• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Supps in general

popperman

Hi guys , just wanted to know are all theses supps really worth it ? i see guys come into the gym with there bags full of this and that and i think of all the money they have spent and i dont think they look any better or bigger than me but they swear by this stuff .
All i use bit of PW on tuff days as i gym after work caffine tabs do the trick and creatine which i have just started using again and a bit of protein . Now the guys i see are using testboosters BCAAs L glutimine and other ones i cant think of at the moment but are any of these really needed or really work ?
Maybe its because im a bit older then these guys and dont want to waste my money on sh!t .

Protein powder
Creatine is cheap as
Beta alanine maybe
Caffeine if you need a Pre workout boost.

Pretty much anything else is a waste of cash and you don't even need to use the ones listed.

hey Bazza , and Fat burners thats a big one at my gym ATM , dudes gettin shredded for summer !!! haha im forever bulkin ! Its i just keep seeing photos on FB of dudes stacks and think theres a weeks wages gone for no reason .

Protein is about all you need mate.

I use BCAAs as well, but only to help hit my protein for the day and because I like the taste.

I sometimes take vitamin C as well.

Protein powder
Creatine is cheap as
Beta alanine maybe
Caffeine if you need a Pre workout boost.

Pretty much anything else is a waste of cash and you don't even need to use the ones listed.

this is my list too.
protein only when my dietary protein is insufficient.
beta alanine has a much more marked effect than creatine for my purposes (racing road bikes - BA makes sitting in the red that little bit easier, while creatine has no noticeable effects in this regard).
pre-workout coffee if i'm feeling particularly flat, but very seldom as i train in the evenings mostly and i don't want to ruin my sleep.

Just taking protein at the moment..

having a stint off Pwo's just having a coffee instead.. think my caffeine tolerance is to high cause im seriously struggling.!

Just taking protein at the moment..

having a stint off Pwo's just having a coffee instead.. think my caffeine tolerance is to high cause im seriously struggling.!

what PWO's were you having??
I tried a 'non-stimulant' PWO and i may as well have had nothing, but had tried HEMO-RAGE before and was pretty well zoned in from the moment i drank it....

as for supps, bazza is right, just the basics. Eat properly and you'll be good....

Ive just added vitC and extra calcium after the back operation, ill see if it does anything!

Write a sup list that you would buy,

Now take that money, Head to your local fresh produce market and butcher and spend it all there.

Im sure youll even have change to buy a few cheeseburgers on the way home :)

I use caffeine, creatine and WPC protein.

I also sometimes have a 'bulking' shake 50/50 carbs/proten before and after workouts, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

No supplement is necessary, but some do help.

- Whey, great for getting that extra protein in. Bioavailable, cheap, easy.
- Creatine, not necessary but if you want to it does work.
- Fish Oil
- I occasionally take zinc/mag/vit c. Helps when i'm in caloric deficit, again, not necessary.
- Pre workout, coffee/beta al caffeine mixture. Not necessary either, but gives you a bit of a pick me up. I would be lying if I didn't say my poundages were better with a pre.

The supplement companies would have you believe otherwise. Most people think a lot of the supplements they take have a tangible affect - some of them do, in their minds. The placebo is a powerful illusion.

For the most part, if your diet is not in check and well rounded, I'd be getting that looked at first.

My staple shakes are milk, blueberries, walnuts, half a banana, occasionally oats + a scoop or two of whey. Just convenient, and packed with good.

what PWO's were you having??
I tried a 'non-stimulant' PWO and i may as well have had nothing, but had tried HEMO-RAGE before and was pretty well zoned in from the moment i drank it....

as for supps, bazza is right, just the basics. Eat properly and you'll be good....

Ive just added vitC and extra calcium after the back operation, ill see if it does anything!

Went for a while on Mesomorph, then when that got banned got the cellucor C4, just didnt do it for me, think i was expecting too much from it after watching a fair few youtube video reviews on it.. so now im taking a break from all PWO's

As with others here all i take is a WPI to help hit macros, and some l-carnintine pre workout, used to take some caffine tabs (no-doz) for a while as well but stopped it a while ago, creatine i used a while ago and found did nothing but willing to give it a go again just to confirm, as for everything else it think it's just a waste.

Does anyone rate l-glutamine as a good supp ? I've recently started taking it and haven't really noticed a difference in recovery time .. Thinking waste of money so far ..