• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sumo squats & deadlifts

Raulski

Hi. If I were to do sumo squats & deadlifts exclusively, would that affect my results much? I know sumos are supposed to target inner thighs more but does it really make a big difference? My lower back doesn't like leaning forward at all during squats & deads but if I point my toes & knees way out, keeping the back vertical, I'm not crippled by it.
Will I be missing out if I persist this way?

Hypertrophy. I have tried front squats. Take a lot of getting used to. You think that's a better option than super - wide stance?

I second that. Yes indeed.

Get your wrist flexibility up, start light and practice at the 5-8 rep range until the bar no longer hurts against your clavicles and you can do it with an upright back. Then add weight rinse and repeat.

I would say you have tight/weak - Hip flexors/lower back/abs and of course quauds and hamstrings - work on flexibility for 1 and your squat stance/depth will greatly improve - dont just try and change to a different exercise to cover a weakness....

The drawback with sumo style squats is that they will beat up your hips badly. Sumo is fine for equipped lifters cos the suit supports it all.

Front squats make it easier to keep the back upright. You need to do them for a few weeks to get your setup right. Main problem, for me anyway, is bar slippage after a few reps. Keep your chin up way high and push your elbows together. No way can I do them with the olympic lift grip so I just cross my arms over. Fronts squats are more quad dominant. Back squats involve more of the posterior chain.

I would just fix the problem, as rugby said.