• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Suggestions: Home Gym for under $3000

Cheers for the great response guys.

Definitely won't be power lifting, won't be aiming to be 'huge' either just proportioned. Yes the amateur internet bodybuilders have inspired me, don't hate! :p So I reckon I could skimp on some areas of equipment so I can save money.

Here's the setup thus far, are there any flaws?
And yep I do realise the increments for the dumbells are odd, but they'll fit my strength during lifts IMO.

Force USA Power Rack
Force USA - Home Power Rack Combo
$595

Bench
Adjustable Flat Incline Decline Bench - Semi Commercial Quality - Force USA
$450

DUMBELLS
12.5KG Dumbell - $75
15KG Dumbell - $90
17.5KG Dumbell - $105
20KG Dumbell - $120
25KG Dumbell - $150
30KG Dumbell - $180
$885

155KG Barbell Weight Set
155kg Rubber Olympic Barbell Weight Set
$445

Weight Plate Rack
Olympic Weight Tree with Barbell Holder - Home Use

Dumbell Rack
Dumbbell Rack'
$200

10 x Rubber Floor Mats 1sqm
10 x Gym Rubber Weight Room Mats and Flooring
$269

Just hits on $3000...minus delivery though

If you want to save money on unnecessary stuff get a set of adjustable dumbbells for heaps cheaper than individual ones.

Skip the dumbbell rack and plate tree, don't need that. Don't need rubber mats either.

I'm voting second hand! This is my experience:

started of completely new to strength training and the gym etc about 3 months ago. I started going to my local gym and wanted some equipment to work out from at home.

I bought a crappy bench press with preacher/lat pull down/leg extension + a fair amount of standard size weight for $110 of gumtree.

I used that in combination with my local gym for a month or 2 and then decided to upgrade my home equipment. I managed to sell my original equipment for $250 on gumtree making $150 straight up. I then found a used package on ebay for $400.

It came with:
a power rack,
full commercial incline bench
150kg of the same rubber coated olympic plates you buy from gym direct
olympic bar and olympic dumbells.

So overall i have spend $250 for my setup now. You could do much the same as i have done. With your budget you could even buy yourself some rubber gym mats and also source a second hand 10-40kg dumbbell rack for well under 3k having an awesome setup for a beginner.

The only thing you could really upgrade from this setup is to get bumper plates and a proper bar; but if you are a beginner you will be set with what i have mentioned and should have enough cash in reserve to upgrade to bumpers and a better bar down the track if you find you are serious about lifting.

That's what i call smart buying! Well done.

Definitely won't be power lifting, won't be aiming to be 'huge' either just proportioned.
The best way to get proportioned is aim to be huge. 99.999% trainers never end up huge...I'm not talking fat either.

I've been training for years and I'm still not huge...

The best way to get proportioned is aim to be huge. 99.999% trainers never end up huge...I'm not talking fat either.

I've been training for years and I'm still not huge...

This is top advise. I always have a laugh when someone says they don't want to get too big, like all of a sudden you wake up one morning and look like Ronnie.

2nd hand is definitely the way to go. So much good stuff comes up on Ebay and Gumtree. It's amazing how many people have to sell their stuff because "they are moving house and the new place doesn't have enough room.

My home gym would have set me back more than 4k if bought new. To date I have bought mostly second hand and have had a total spend of just over 2k.

Don't get the Force home power rack, I've seen the FPR and wouldn't go any lighter grade than that, even with the FPR I'd bolt it down.

So I finally got the final quote. To be honest their customer service is quite slow and sort of puts me off spending $3000 with them. But nevertheless, is the pricing decent with these guys?:

> > 1 x Force USA FID w/ Attachments - $450.00
> >
> > 1 x 155kg Olympic Rubber Barbell Set - $459.95
> >
> > 1 x Force USA Home Power Rack - $595.00
> >
> > 1 x Dumbbell Rack 2 tier - $379.00
> >
> > 6 x Rubber Gym flooring (ECO) - $179.70
> >
> > Force USA Commercial Rubber Dumbbells - $1440.00
> > 12.5KG
> > 15KG
> > 17.5KG
> > 20KG
> > 25KG
> > 30KG
> >
> > Sub - Total: $3503.65
> > Discount: $550.65
> > Freight: $250.00
> > Total: $3203.00

OMG! that's mad, but pricey, which is normal for new stuff, if u can afford it go for it, I know I wouldnt spend that much, my used set up cost round $700 and plus if they got bad customer service I wouldn't go with them

GOOOD LUCK!

240kg of dumbbells for $1440 = $6 per kg = MASSIVE ripoff.

You can get these for around $3 or $3.50 per kg at other suppliers.

So I finally got the final quote. To be honest their customer service is quite slow and sort of puts me off spending $3000 with them. But nevertheless, is the pricing decent with these guys?:

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > 12.5KG
> > 15KG
> > 17.5KG
> > 20KG
> > 25KG
> > 30KG
> >

How did you get a discount of $550.65?

How did you get a discount of $550.65?

Pretty sure if you asked any supplier in Australia for $3k worth of gear they'd give you a bit of a discount. Also a couple of places that advertise on here give forum members a bit off too, so maybe it was one of those.

Pretty sure if you asked any supplier in Australia for $3k worth of gear they'd give you a bit of a discount. Also a couple of places that advertise on here give forum members a bit off too, so maybe it was one of those.

I know ausbb members are given a 10% discount off gymdirect equipment, but has anyone that has bought gym equipment from gymdirect had an additional discount applied to the total price on top of the 10%, or is 10% the maximum discount you can receive regardless if you pay $20 or $5000.

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > 12.5KG
> > 15KG
> > 17.5KG
> > 20KG
> > 25KG
> > 30KG
> >

You might be able to save on the rubber gym flooring by getting similar for cheaper at somewhere like Clarke's rubber?

I've been window shopping online for gear to go in my new house (hasn't even started building yet, but I enjoying hunting down stuff - gym stuff, appliances, furniture etc).

Heres what i've come up with gym wise:

Rack - MMPR (has pullup bar on top and with dip attachment) - $660
Bar - 220cm 20kg - $199
Plates - Pack of 150kg bumpers - $600
Bench - flat - $115
Plyometric box set - $289
Slam ball - $60
Ab wheel - $25
2 x adjustable (from 12 thru 36) kettlebells - $360
Total - $2308

Isn't many workouts at all that'd come up that I can't complete with the above. Obviously doesn't include any dumbells but there's not alot I do with them that I can't do with the kettlebells as they're more versatile.

This doesn't include the discount that some places give us for being members of this forum but also doesn't include freight.

In the future I'd like to get a GHD, some mats/platform so that I don't have to fear dropping snatches, and a c2 rower also, but these are pretty pricey.