• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength gains...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong. Keep the bro BB bullshit out of the strength section. Since we are in the strength section intensity means percentage of 1rm lifted.

When in doubt stronger is always the answer.

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing after reading that bs post

raw strength is very movement specific

If you follow the Westside template, I see nothing wrong with paused squats on DE day for 10x2 or a 5RM and rotating max effort exercises though. You should just be getting in lots of volume in the competition lift on DE day then just doing what feels good on ME day and just getting stronger all over

Uve plateud Because your body has probly been trained in the same intensity for a while now, training for str isnt the answer> you need to up the intensity of your workouts to make them more grueling to get that oxygen debt, str training will just make you go backwards for pysique gains. Also adding in functional exercises for added intensity will put a different stress on the the body that your muscles arent use to> Results= added growth.

You need to keep pushing urself hard, and that doesnt mean trying to lift more> it means adding more challenges to your muscles> to hammer the fuck out of your body so ur nervous system will be thinking holy fuck, what is happening, then you will start seeying improvements.

Sweet fucking shit what is this drivel. There's some dumb shit posted in this thread but this really takes the cake.

Mixing it up for the sake of it doesn't really work that well and usually just leads to fucking around and getting no where fast.

Keep the main exercises the same and maybe change an assistance exercise if you have to.

Essentially that is what I do... Bench, deadlift and squat once a week (including other compound exercises) and only sometimes I might mix up my assistance exercises. My routine is almost identical from week to week, to the point where it almost bores me to death. I just try to up the weights, the amount of reps or speed. I don't know whether I am doing the right thing or not but looking in the mirror seems to tell me otherwise. I never know whether or not I can be doing things better...

With respect to size and strength, in my experience, I have made very little in the way of progress lifting light with lots of reps. I have gone in leaps and bounds only when lifting heavy... but I thought that was common knowledge...

I came to the strength section for strength advice... thought could do 6 months of strength training to "shock shock, shock shock shock, shock, shock" my muscles then return to size n conditioning...

Which programs are you considering? Many can be adjusted so that you can still have some sort of hypertrophy focus on the side as your lifts go up.

Which programs are you considering? Many can be adjusted so that you can still have some sort of hypertrophy focus on the side as your lifts go up.

Freako can I ask your advice - I want a strength program focussing on increasing chin up, military press, and bench press strength until my lower back recovers from injury and I can squat/dead again.

At the moment I just do chins 1 day, and bench/militaries another. I just do low reps on each exercise for about 5 sets, and take a weeks break between workouts. I throw in some assistance work each workout for arms.

Could you suggest a better program? Or some good resources for 'general strength programming'? I can find sheiko and stuff online easily enough but they are focussed on powerlifting lifts only.

Freako can I ask your advice - I want a strength program focussing on increasing chin up, military press, and bench press strength until my lower back recovers from injury and I can squat/dead again.

At the moment I just do chins 1 day, and bench/militaries another. I just do low reps on each exercise for about 5 sets, and take a weeks break between workouts. I throw in some assistance work each workout for arms.

Could you suggest a better program? Or some good resources for 'general strength programming'? I can find sheiko and stuff online easily enough but they are focussed on powerlifting lifts only.

5/3/1 is a nice easy progression template that you could use for your pressing and I believe someone has tried to apply it to pullups once as well. You could also try ladder training for pullups, eg. 5 reps, 4 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps, 1 rep, repeat...

Been looking into the doug hepburn method... could possibly adapt so suit my purpose...

I was going to suggest 5/3/1 progression as well. Just do the 5/3/1 mainlift and accessory then add your pump stuff as assistance after, but the same could also be done with the Hepburn Method as well.

Any of you young blokes interested in building a bigger stronger body should listen to polke.

But I tell you now that the keystone to success is intensity of work and conistancy over a protracted time.

Intensity of work and intensity are two different things.

Any of you young blokes interested in building a bigger stronger body should listen to polke.

But I tell you now that the keystone to success is intensity of work and conistancy over a protracted time.

Intensity of work and intensity are two different things.

Train hard, train consistently and keep training. Amen.

Sick and tired of the whole militant bb'ing vs PLing stuff, it breeds stupidity. If you want to excel at one, incorporate some methods from the other, and benefit from the best of both worlds.

There are plenty of examples of people around who have managed to simultaneously achieve at both. Being strong doesn't mean you have to eat shit and be a fat fuck, being aesthetic doesn't mean you have to be a weak stick. You can be both strong AND ripped.

OP, if you don't want to do PL-specific training, I would suggest you have a look at 531, it can be applied very effectively for bb'ing goals.
5/3/1 and Bodybuilding - JimWendler.com

Another good one is Layne Norton's dual periodisation program: Mega Feature: Layne Norton Training Series + Full Power/Hypertrophy Routine (Updated 2011) | SimplyShredded.com

Iim sorry to all you guys for talking shit, what was i thinking, yes everything i have said is dribble.

Pretty much. I'm glad you are enthusiastic about your lifting and coach, that's definantely a good thing. However, your posts indicate a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts by incorrect use of meaningless bb'ing jargon. If you wish to be taken seriously, learn to express yourself properly and use the appropriate language.

Last edited:
42 fucking posts I had to delete.

Use the report button.

Pumpingiron, stop posting your stupid shit in this section.

I apoligise for my out bursts. But honestly, if a bodybuilder comes on here asking for advice, shouldnt you direct him to a very good bodybuilding coach or a very experienced bodybuilder. You give him powerlifting and str advice? Your going outside your area of expertise. You say im full of crap and dont know what im talking about, the things i am saying i did not come up with> all that shit i have said comes from a very high ranked coached that has trained with the best of the best to olympia level right down to amatuars, he has coached over 300 champions and turned nobodys into guys that look near as good as lazar angelov. You cant say his methods dont work*look at his client section*. Yes all training will lead to muscle mass, and any training is certainly better then sitting on the couch eating crap and getting fat like all of the other losers out there. But you need to realise theres a gap between bodybuilding training and powerlifting, yes both do alot of the same exercises, but the style of training is way different. So next time a bodybuilder, comes on here> even if its in the str training section direct them to someone that has the bodybuilding knowledge and no im not saying direct them to me, I still have a lot to learn, but i have read all of scott abels books and from what i read he says training for 1rm str is the last thing you wanna do if ur training for hypertrophy and muscle gains.

Last edited:
Delete the "advanced strength training"

Have two sections:

Bodybiulding and powerlifting ffs.
It's bazaar.

Status
Not open for further replies.