• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength / Endurance Training

Snoochies

Am doing Tough Mudder in Feb but have been Strength training and some cardio but leading into the event I will have to up my cardio and endurance. As I don't really want to lose the strengths gains I have made but at the same time want to increase my endurance, I came across this workout. Basically heavy weight with lots of sets and little reps and rest.

Thoughts?

Bodybuilding.com - Strength-Endurance Training: Be Stronger... Longer.

Should see me maintain my strength over the next 2 months.

Cheers

Get over it, you cant serve two masters
You should still be able to maintain strength whilst building endurance, and it would be advantageous for something like tough mudder to do exactly that.

In saying that, what the linked article recommends is very much the opposite of what I'd recommend. Instead, I'd work up to a heavy single, double or triple, rest 3-5min, take 25% of the weight off and do as many reps as possible, then move on to the next exercise. Do this for your main lifts, then dedicate the rest of your training to specific prep work for the tough mudder.

You need to periodise it, trying to increase both will lead to misery. Its a nice thought but in reality it doesnt work out that well. I used to drop strengh training totally 6 weeks out

Well I didn't say he should be trying to get stronger, I said he should be doing something to maintain strength, and dedicate the rest of his training to specific prep for tough mudder. Likewise, he didn't say he's trying to get stronger, he said he doesn't want to get weaker leading up to the event. I'd agree that trying to improve strength and competition endurance at the same time probably won't result in good progress on either front.

Ill go into more detail when i get home, the idea is to rack up a surplus of strength, after a twice bodyweight squat you will not get much benefit from strength training at all. The strength will come back fast afterwards. No real need to maintain

You can do both!!
I've done plenty of pre-seasons and got stronger/fitter/faster in most of them (apart from the downhill running pre season!)
Just have to be smart about it. But push yourself.
Mix your training up!! Weights, runs, sprints, road runs, swimming, trail runs, bodyweight only sessions, the options are endless!!!
Have good rests, think outside the box and don't believe all what you read on the net.

Cheers for the info guys. I have been doing Starting Strength for a few months now and love it so want to keep it going but am hoping to maintain what I have earned, that and I'm getting my own rack this weekend so I'm kinda excited.

Would it be beneficial to keep doing Starting Strength maybe twice a week or move to something like the program I posted above?

Was thinking something like this.

Monday - SS
Tuesday - Run
Wednesday - OFF
Thursday - SS
Friday - Run
Saturday - Bas Rutten All Round Workout

Notes:

The running already will incorporate lots of hills, distance and terrain as where I live has alot of hills and plenty of terrain to run on which is about 10km all up whick I'll work towards as the event gets closer.

The Bas Rutten workout is a full body workout, 28 mins no rest (Pushups, situps, lunges, jumping squats, jumping jacks, burpees, hill climbers and some shadow boxing).

Sorry for asking too many questions but you guys seem to be on the ball and am happy to take on any advice.

Cheers

Whats your lifts bodyweight, 400m time and 5km time?
Just so you know i competed in middle distance cycling for many years. Ill get a good plan up for you when i get home just need these bits. If you dont know then it will take less than an hour to find out lol

Up until a few months ago, I was playing soccer/futsal a couple of hours most weeks while lifting. After a certain point, my squat and DL pretty much stopped progressing and stagnated for about a year, despite trying various things. So I made the chioce and now play very little soccer.

Finances of training. If you want to be strong/explosive, don't do endurance stuff. If you want to be ok at both, do both.

Last edited: