• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength & Conditioning for footballers

Ireally dont know Dave.

More testing today.

Khan cleaned 100kg and push pressed it as well, he also deadlifted 192.5kg and squatted 130kg, missing 140kg. He totaled 622.5kg in the one session.

Another boy squatted 135kg and deadlifted 192.5kg.

They both pulled 200kg to above there knees, but as my earlier observation about weak hips and footballers, neither was able to drive his hips through and lock out the bar.

Yesterday a one guy did 18 dead hang rope chins, after doing ladder to 10. Very impressive.

192.5 KG is a lot of weight especially for lads who had not done weights like this before.
What did these dudes start off doing, did you have to really talk them into trying these heavy deads ?

SQUAT
Matt Clarke ......................135kg
Khan Haretuku..................130kg
Ben Lean...........................120kg
Michael Hibberd...............120kg
Steve Morey.....................120kg

BENCH PRESS
Ben Lean...........................110kg
Taylor Stratton..................105kg
Dan Wise...........................102.5kg
Matt Clarke.......................100kg
Khan Haretuku..................100kg

DEADLIFT
Matt Clarke.......................192.5kg
Khan Haretuku..................192.5kg
Ben Lean............................190kg
Steve Morey.......................170kg
Taylor Stratton...................170kg
Tommy Mitchell.................170kg

POWER CLEAN
Khan Haretuku....................100kg
Steve Morey.........................80kg
Chris Doria............................80kg
Warwick Miller......................80kg
Ben Lean................................80kg
Michael Hibberd....................80kg

PUSH PRESS
Khan Haretuku.....................100kg
Ben Lean................................80kg
Matt Clarke............................75kg
Steve Morey...........................70kg
Michael Hibberd.....................70kg

TOTAL
Khan Haretuku......................622.5kg
Ben Lean...............................580kg
Matt Clarke...........................577.5kg
Steve Morey.........................520kg
Michael Hibberd...................520kg
Taylor Stratton......................520kg

Is there a reason you are testing their 1RM?

Assuming they are all fairly novice lifters wouldn't it change session to session or week to week?

All I see is a running coach asking for a benchpress test - hardly seems like a reason to put the team through 1RM testing for all their main compounds? What does the running coach have to do with the strength aspect?

All the boys lifting above have been training 6 days a week, most for 5 weeks,some for 10 weeks.

Whats the issue with testing their strength?

It was not a team, as stated earlier, only the 9 boys that have been doing ALL the training. We still have over 100 boys trying out.

Markos do you mind If I observe a few of these sessions when I am over there?

I did an obersvation day with the Comm games Rugby sevens boys & will be interested to see how it compares.

No dramas, the club trains on Mon/Wed/Fri and the others do extra strength sessions on the remaining days

All the boys lifting above have been training 6 days a week, most for 5 weeks,some for 10 weeks.

Whats the issue with testing their strength?

It was not a team, as stated earlier, only the 9 boys that have been doing ALL the training. We still have over 100 boys trying out.

I just don't understand the 'why'. Not powerlifters, still beginners in the training age sense - their 1RM this week will be less than their 1RM next week.

If it's to change things up, help them understand how much they improved etc I can see some value in it perhaps.

My bad for not comprehending it was only 9 guys.

Its merely for tracking progress, as well as motivating others to come to these sessions.

Simply giving all hundred boys a talk on Friday had 5-6 new faces on Saturday at the strength sessions.

The club cant force these guys to train 6 days a week. They won one game in the seniors last year and none in the two's. The year before that the seniors won three games.

they have no money to claim AFL players that have been delisted, so improvement must come from within.

The goal is to play finals in 2011.

Having trained the boys, and hundreds of other lifters, I'm pretty sure that I know when to test for strength.

Much easier from the gym than a screen to assess the boys.

The boy I had the issue with last week walked in and apologized on Monday night. Pretty big of him to say he was acting like a tool.

He trained very hard last night on the toughest complex yet.

Around 10-15 boys are doing the strength work at PTC on the off nights.

Everyone at the club has a copy of the program and are expected to do it at their own gyms if they cant get in.

Some of the boys are up to 160kg x 5 x 3 on the deadlift.

We made them all go back to 60kg and start at 5 x 10 on the squat, except for Spud. He is up to 90kg x 10 x 5 sets. Most of the others are up to 75kg. A few boys are benching 90kg x 8 x 2 sets.

Last night, for an hour before training, they did this.

Press 56kg keg, jump over it, then back, C&P again. Do this for 5 reps. Do this for all 7 kegs.

Followed by Tabata Burpees, which they did effortlessly.

Then into the gym and squat 40kg x 40 reps.

They then hit the track for 2 hours of training.

Some PTC guys are commenting on how fit they look. Assistant coaches are seeing a definite change in appearance. Lots of boys are at single digit body fat, they were tested.

The coach was interviewed in the local rag, he claimed the boys are 4 weeks ahead of schedule. So much so, they are tapering off the running in November. He asked me to ramp up the weights.

Once the boys achieve set targets, like squat 100kg x 10 x 5 sets, the rep/sets will change. Same goes for all lifts.

I cant wait till the next round of testing, see how the guys lifting elsewhere go against the 15 regulars lifting at PTC. I reckon I have 3 boys who will pull over 200kg right now.

One boy that has been training with us got picked up at #30 by Richmond in the draft, a couple more may get rookie listed.

If you have time Markos, can you chuck up a vid of your Cannon Balls (no pun intended :p). Just got some KB's and uncertain how to do them. Planing on including them in a KB complex.