• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength & Conditioning for footballers

lol. I thought something went over my head there.

I was thinking Gawain was a company or something so I was googling Gawain protein and the three substances mentioned above haha

Gawain is a man (big one at that)
he sells protein.... but still not sure if he sells to everyone or if he has a online store etc
the products you asked about are steroids
PTC was just joking that those flavours had them in it so are all good and better together.

Anyway, were off topic, I've got Steve on hold wanting to talk about a comp in January or something.

Most guys fantasize about naked women, but each to their own.

Peter (Hawk) will you be regularly taking on uni students? It would be great for some to be taught real training methods.

I need to do hours next year, so im glad to hear that Peter is taking on students. Expect a call Peter.

Tonights circuit

Bound over 60cm hurdles x 4
C&P 40kg x 5
SGDL off blocks 75kg x 5
60cm box jumps x 5
Jump squats 35kg x 5

Most went around 5-10 times

I'm a firm believer that Australia does not deserve to feature on the world stage in Olympic weightlifting. I don't enjoy saying that, but for as long as we have coaches with bigger egos than the weights they'd like their lifters to lift, then we have a major problem on our hands, and that's just the start. For as long as weightlifting coaches have their head buried in the sand, working against the interest of their lifters, then we deserve not to be featured on the world stage. For as long as the state (country) and its medical department has no idea (or wish to remain closed minded) to what it takes to produce world class Olympic lifters, then we do not deserve to be standing on the Olympic/World stage.

Markos, I've said this before on this forum I'm not sure if you've missed it, but I did say (and am still saying) that we need someone like you Sir if we were to feature on any stage with any credibility behind us. This country needs not many Markoses; just one would do, as just one Abadjiev did do for tiny tiny Bulgaria! We need someone with balls and someone who is surrounded by a talented medical team that is willing to work with and not against him.

Failing to do the above means we're just kidding ourselves when it comes to the sport of Olympic weightlifting featuring anywhere beyond the pathetic commonwealth games, where lifters clean and jerk what their male counterparts elsewhere are snatching!

Enough said.

Fadi.

Thanks for the insight.

Anyway, were off topic, I've got Steve on hold wanting to talk about a comp in January or something.

A lot of the things mentioned in the last couple of pages make me shake my head but this makes me very happy. I hope it happens.

And Warrick Brandt is a beast of a man.

Regarding taking on Uni Students for practical placement hours, they came and found me, I can imagine that next 'season' (third quarter of the year might start getting referred to as 'placement season') I would expect there maybe more as there were multiple inquires as the time to close on students getting their hours up. Not many places really want to offer the opportunity. I'm happy to.

In addition to the undergrads there is probably 8-9 lifters here who either have done, or are doing, Cert III/IV in fitness. Some of them have done practical hours here as well. I predict by the year 2035 1 in 3 Australians will be a personal trainer. The obvious question becomes 'well, who trains them?'.... right now it appears to be me.

Not to labor a point too much, but the Ex Sci education model is therapy, not high performance. I have a certain level of curiosity in what is prescribed for the sick, injured and afflicted (stems from working 3 years in aged care rehab) and I try very hard not to trespass on the work of experienced experts in these areas. But high performance sport is, let's face it, a heck of a lot sexier than trying to get a 50 year old taxi driver recovered from bypass surgery. (although coaching sweaty fat powerlifters doesn't exactly hit my g-spot; each to their own)

I'm just thinking though if the study of high performance sport for Ex Sci undergrads would be a good thing or not. The problem is that the lectures are unable to teach it because they dont have those skills. Lecturers would have to be brought in who actually deal with high performance and there are so few who would qualify to be able to do this. I dont see things changing in a hurry. Be prepared for more footballers doing balancing acts and quarter squatting half their body weight once a fortnight.

A couple of boys did some jumping tonight after their strength session.

Big Clarkey deadlifted 200kg @ 94kg

Here are some vids of the assorted jumping

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp13leWPw4A"]YouTube - PTC Frankston, Russ doing some jumping[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-6gPteCdfE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPNuD06vB80[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UXBDDt-xNw[/ame]

Last edited:
Nice set of video's there.

Below is the workout that the fellas that I work with will be doing. Please note that this is week 2, the sets & reps vary, depending on if it's week 1, 2 or 3.

Please also note that exercises are connected to each other, so in theory you're supposed to go straight from the pull up's to squats. From doing RDL's to the nordic hamstring curl & so on.

Weighted Pull Up's (overhand grip only) - 3R x 4
Back Squats - 5R x 4

Bench Press - 2R x 4
Jump Squats - 3R x 2
Bench Pull - 2R x 3

Roman Deadlift - 6R x 3
Nordic Hamstring Curl - 5R x 3

Single leg standing alternate arm lateral raise (Half reps on each arm) - 12R x 2 (6 reps per side)
Trampoline arabesque (Perform on floor if no trampoline or unable to maintain balance) - 8 seconds per side

Weighted sit up with barbell - 4R x 3
Side bridge with leg raise (30 seconds each side)
Back extensions on bench (Partner support over leg) 3R x 10

The players all completed their second 3k time trial on Wednesday. They did their first in the week I started.

Around 60 players did it, every player bar one had an improvement. The best improvement was 1m50s, the average was 40s

Jimmy had the second best the first time round with 10.19, he managed 10.10 this time.

the boys are looking pretty fit and strong. They break up on the 20th of Dec and start again on the 12th of Jan.

I remain open during this time so they can continue to lift during the break

The one boy who didnt improve was Khan, he was 4s slower. He was devastated. He is one of the strongest and fittest, though he mightve been overtrained at the time

Beep test on Monday

I predict by the year 2035 1 in 3 Australians will be a personal trainer.

I'm just thinking though if the study of high performance sport for Ex Sci undergrads would be a good thing or not. The problem is that the lectures are unable to teach it because they dont have those skills. Lecturers would have to be brought in who actually deal with high performance and there are so few who would qualify to be able to do this. I dont see things changing in a hurry. Be prepared for more footballers doing balancing acts and quarter squatting half their body weight once a fortnight.

With any Degree you need to take what you learn & then apply it. Much like Defranco or Tate that have done their own experiments to find what works and what is as use full as curling in a squat rack,.

The stuff I learn at uni is not super relevant to where I want to go. But, When I get to Honors I can put in practice the core knowledge gained in undergrad.

Very interesting results PTC. Who woulda thought that heavy resistance training would make better athletes!!

The fellas I work alongside with are doing another 3k time trial on Tuesday. I'm not sure which number it is, I suspect it's either their 2nd or 3rd. I don't have much involvement with them outside of the weights room.

A few interesting things happened at tonights training session.

One young guy who I hadn't had a lot of exposure to, was about to squat 140k for six reps. I'd been told that he was fairly strong & athletic, so I watched & was ready to guide him with any needed help. Low & behold he did 6 very good full reps at 140kg. Three sets of them. Weighing around mid 70's.

Being a lover of learning, I kept an eye on him for the rest of the night, while obviously working with the others. When he progressed over to do RDL's, he plaecd 140 on the bar. He told me he thought if he could squat it, he should be able to lift it up.

That is easily the wisest thing I'd heard any of those boys say. I encouraged him to have good form, gave him the general cues he needed & let him go. Away he went, 5 good reps.

After that he did nordic hamstring curls. Here's the amazing thing. He went all the way down, very slowly using his hamstrings to lower himself to the ground.

I think the head coach saw me mentally doing the math, he came over to me & told me not to steal him over to weightlifting. I said I wouldn't. He replied with 'no, seriously...don't steal him, we need him'!!

Also we had 4 entrants into the 2 plate (100kg) squat club. Technique was spot on. Depth was great. One young fella, Nathan, who I'd taught about warm up sets decided to take it upon himself to share this infomation to a group of others. These boys lits went from 80something to 100 for 5 good reps of 100. I really like a culture of mico-coaching, when athletes share (good) info to team mates.

Due to the 3km time trial on Tuesday I've been instructed to test their 1RM on the bench press on Monday, as well as get them to do some pull up's & moderate weight db pulls.

That's about all for now. The fruits of the laborr is starting to show

Max has been training a bunch of 13yo footballers.

On Thursday, one of the boys deadlifted 115kg.

Fuck.

I dont have a single lifter at PTC or the football club who squats more then he deads

I havent seen one do that in raw competition either......ever.

With any Degree you need to take what you learn & then apply it. Much like Defranco or Tate that have done their own experiments to find what works and what is as use full as curling in a squat rack,.

The stuff I learn at uni is not super relevant to where I want to go. But, When I get to Honors I can put in practice the core knowledge gained in undergrad.

Exactly. Alot of the "big names" along with the professional S&C guys (big difference between the two) have degrees despite their training methodology resembling nothing that they would have learnt there.

Ashley Jones once mentioned what he would look for in a S&C coach. Listed all the obvious stuff (time under bar, well read etc) but when he mentioned degree it wasn't that he wanted it for what you'd learn, but to show a level of commitment, desire and the ability to stick at something for 3-4 years.

Exactly. Alot of the "big names" along with the professional S&C guys (big difference between the two) have degrees despite their training methodology resembling nothing that they would have learnt there.

Ashley Jones once mentioned what he would look for in a S&C coach. Listed all the obvious stuff (time under bar, well read etc) but when he mentioned degree it wasn't that he wanted it for what you'd learn, but to show a level of commitment, desire and the ability to stick at something for 3-4 years.

I think the concessions that Ex Sci undergrad degree methodologies do not resemble professional high performance ones, and that a level of demonstrated commitment from any degree at all was vetting process enough for the All Blacks S&C coach, pretty much says all I could say.

There is a massive disconnect on the education continuum between therapy and high performance (notice 'High Performance Director' as the buzzword of football programs the last few years). I think we can do better.