• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strange re-occurring Benching muscle strain??

MathewK

I seem to have a re-occuring muscle strain when I bench heavy (this comes and goes, and has over the years).
The muscle (or tendon?) is located between my collarbone and traps, at the base of my neck (right hand side). I guess it is a lower neck muscle.
Any suggestions on cause, prevention, cure??

Without seeing my benching form it could be hard, however in short I bench from above my nipples, at the bottom of the movement my forearms are vertical (90 degrees), chest up, feet planted, shoulder blades back.

I think it could be a neck strain when I exert myself from bottom of the movement??

I have only ever incurred this on the right hand side.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Muscle at the base of your neck will still be your traps. However if you feel it is a deep muscle then it could be semispinalis or splenius muscle. If it comes and goes then probably it is just muscle strain brought about by wrong positioning or over stressing that certain muscle.

Thanks. When it 'rains it pours' ie the following workout, whilst doing overhead presses I strained my neck (back of) on the 2nd last rep- I'm in the wars damn it!
Real happy about it too - grrrrr

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk