• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Steam rooms / saunas

pistachio

Who uses them and why?

I'm thinking of using the steam room at my gym after my workouts for about 10-15 minutes to sweat out.

I'm doing it to help lose water weight, as even though I'm leaning up, I still look a bit bloated, especially around lower abs, and I want to get a harder/drier look.

Does this sound like a good idea?

i use them to drop the last bit of weight b4 comp. (if i need to)

if u want to drop water weight just reduce your salt intake and drink more water to flush the excess water that your body is retaining out of your system.

i use them to drop the last bit of weight b4 comp. (if i need to)

if u want to drop water weight just reduce your salt intake and drink more water to flush the excess water that your body is retaining out of your system.

I'm going to do this as well, but I already drink quite a bit of water, so not sure how much more I can (safely) drink.

i use the sauna , cleans out the pores , helps clear my breathing

Do you go before/after training, or on separate days altogether?

i got after training

That's what I'm thinking of doing also, nice and easy, finish up my workout, have my protein shake, and go sweat it out in the steam room.

Could even do some stretching in there if no one else is around.

Have a quick cold shower once I'm done and head home.

Not too sure I would have the shake before sauna.

I am only guessing, but same reason you should not swim after eating.

I use it occasionally, had a good sauna session on Tuesday.

Stops you getting a cold or viruses, as they can not survive the heat.

Not sure it would do much to help in cutting, may be slightly boost metabolism!?!?

The steam room is good for meeting Swedish back-packers
images

lol :D:p

Not too sure I would have the shake before sauna.

I am only guessing, but same reason you should not swim after eating.

I use it occasionally, had a good sauna session on Tuesday.

Stops you getting a cold or viruses, as they can not survive the heat.

Not sure it would do much to help in cutting, may be slightly boost metabolism!?!?

I can't imagine having the shake would have much difference. I don't like waiting too long before having it though, usually immediately after I finish training I will down my shake and then have a proper meal about 30-60 minutes later. I should mention that its mostly actually a carb shake, its like 40-50g superfine oats with 15g WPC.

Is that really true about colds and viruses?? If that's the case, I'd be hitting the steam room 3-4 times a week every week!

Nah, not doing it to help with the cut, just to help with the water retention.

And apparently there are other benefits, not sure how true these are though.

i was told the dropping a small amount of weight, like 200g or something, in a sauna b4 competing (powerlifting) can actually benefit you. makes you feel refreshed or something like that, cant quite remember what it does thought.

No need for that many sessions once a week should do it.

The cold thing is because viruses are heat sensitive and can only survive within a small range of temperatures, and the sauna will kill most viruses.

I have also read that the average sauna session burns around 300 calories, not sure that matters too much though.

Pretty sure there are no real negatives to using it.

Also why such a high carb shake after training?? We have all read on this forum that there are no real benefits to doing this, and it seems a lot of un necessary calories straight after a gym session, especially if you are cutting, could be the reason you still look 'soft' as you say.

Last edited:
No need for that many sessions once a week should do it.

The cold thing is because viruses are heat sensitive and can only survive within a small range of temperatures, and the sauna will kill most viruses.

I have also read that the average sauna session burns around 300 calories, not sure that matters too much though.

Pretty sure there are no real negatives to using it.

Also why such a high carb shake after training?? We have all read that there are no real benefits to doing this, and it seems a lot of un necessary calories straight after a gym session, especially if you are cutting, could be the reason you still look 'soft' as you say.

I figure I'm at the gym 4 times a week anyway, may as well tack on a quick steam room session to 2 or 3 of those. Might be a good way to relax after the session as well.

Regarding the high carb shake, I thought that was what people were recommending these days??? A ratio of about 3-4:1 carbs to protein.

Fuck, I can't keep up, the post workout regiment just keeps changing.

So what is the current recommendation immediately post workout? Just a protein shake?

Fuck, I can't keep up, the post workout regiment just keeps changing.

So what is the current recommendation immediately post workout? Just a protein shake?

Haha, I know how you feel, and I am no expert by a long shot, but I have been reading a lot of Max Brenners posts, and he seems state that it makes no difference either way, as long as your daily macronutrient intake is right for what ever you are aiming for.

I am cutting as well ATM, and I have cut out my oats from my breakfast protein shake, as it was adding too may calories to my daily intake.

But like I said I am no expert, just trying to sort through the masses of info out there, but I think your shake sounds like a good bulking post workout shake adding calories to the diet.

I know, thats why it got my attention, but I might be wrong, may be Mr Brenner might be able to enlighten us:confused:

This kind of swedish backpacker?

1525d1318496361-steam-rooms-saunas-270877_10150227977227587_654307586_7688316_445352_n-1-.jpg

I'm thinkin about how I don't ever wanna go to a sauna if this is what I can expect.

I'm also thinkin about that quilt he's resting on and what happened on it just after the pic was taken. :eek: