• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Starting strength training

Oversizedspoon

Hi Guys,

I've recently decided to start training for strength, instead of just going to the gym because it helped me lose weight. I had a deload week about 4 weeks ago and went from seeing a PT with a program that changed every 4 weeks to the ICF program. I have had a calorie increase as well since I need to bulk up after coming off a 12 month cut. I have worked up to my previous weights since then. My current goal is to get to 2/3/4 plates on the big 3, have a while to go.
Current for 5x5 I am sitting at
60 kg bench
97.5 kg squat (didn't get the full 5x5 today at 100kg, but not far off)
115kg deadlift - Which is more then it's been before.

The ICF program is Workout A, Workout B rotation Mon, Wed, Fri. Increase weights every time you day the you do the exercise and if you can't make reps twice in a row, reset by 10% and work backup.

Workout A

Squats 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over row 5x5
Shrugs 3x8
Skull crushers 3x8
Incline DB curl 3x8
Hyper extension 2x10
Cable Crunch 3x10

Workout B

Squats 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
OHP 5x5
Bent over row 3x8
Close grip bench 3x8G
BB Curls 3x8
Cable crunch 3x8
Seated calf raised 3x10

I am considering adding a accessory day on Saturday, but I am not sure if that will just cause problems because it will take away from having the 2 day rest.

Big volume, long workouts, if you've the energy and time, great. Will need some big eating to handle it though! Good luck.

Looks like a pretty standard linear progression program, although personally I would swap the bent over row in workout a with lat pulldowns.

In regards to the weight progression, once you have reset around 3-4 times on a program like that you are likely ready for a different progression model. An example would be to complete as many reps as possible until you reach the prescribed reps in 2 consecutive sessions then add weight and repeat.

Also what is your current height and weight, that will make a big difference to how hard it will be to achieve your goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The workouts are just over 90 min each. Energy and time aren't an issue, thankfully I'm an early riser so hit the gym by 430 am.

I am currently on 3500 calories daily.

Looks like a pretty standard linear progression program, although personally I would swap the bent over row in workout a with lat pulldowns.

In regards to the weight progression, once you have reset around 3-4 times on a program like that you are likely ready for a different progression model. An example would be to complete as many reps as possible until you reach the prescribed reps in 2 consecutive sessions then add weight and repeat.

Also what is your current height and weight, that will make a big difference to how hard it will be to achieve your goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't know about the reset a number of times then change idea. Thanks for that.

Height 175 cm, Weight 67 KG - increasing slowing. Just went from 3300 cal to 3500 cal as weight stalled at 66.

you don't need any special program to get to those goals so just do whatever you like the look of and work hard

you don't need any special program to get to those goals so just do whatever you like the look of and work hard

True, but I am the kind of person that functions better with a set plan. If I have a plan set out I go and do it consistently, without one I will skip days, skip exercises that I don't like etc.

Well clearly he likes the look of that program so that being the case, stick with it - consistency and persistence does pay off. I did something similar to that for about a year and the linear gains worked pretty good, until the noobie effect wore off, and I moved onto the next program that I fancied.

Don't compromise on form, your body will thank you later once it starts getting heavy. :)

I like the program because of the linear program, to me it's easier to track improvement.

When I did my deload week a little bit back I didn't go straight to full weight again, probably,20- 30% under so I could sort my form out.

Hi Guys,

I've recently decided to start training for strength, instead of just going to the gym because it helped me lose weight. I had a deload week about 4 weeks ago and went from seeing a PT with a program that changed every 4 weeks to the ICF program. I have had a calorie increase as well since I need to bulk up after coming off a 12 month cut. I have worked up to my previous weights since then. My current goal is to get to 2/3/4 plates on the big 3, have a while to go.
Current for 5x5 I am sitting at
60 kg bench
97.5 kg squat (didn't get the full 5x5 today at 100kg, but not far off)
115kg deadlift - Which is more then it's been before.

The ICF program is Workout A, Workout B rotation Mon, Wed, Fri. Increase weights every time you day the you do the exercise and if you can't make reps twice in a row, reset by 10% and work backup.

Workout A

Squats 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over row 5x5
Shrugs 3x8
Skull crushers 3x8
Incline DB curl 3x8
Hyper extension 2x10
Cable Crunch 3x10

Workout B

Squats 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
OHP 5x5
Bent over row 3x8
Close grip bench 3x8G
BB Curls 3x8
Cable crunch 3x8
Seated calf raised 3x10

I am considering adding a accessory day on Saturday, but I am not sure if that will just cause problems because it will take away from having the 2 day rest.

Have you considered training 7 days a week, or at least 6? Also, have you considered sticking to and focusing on the main compound exercises?
My current goal is to get to 2/3/4 plates on the big 3
You say your aim is to gain strength. That is highly possible / achievable when the right methodology is applied.

Your aim (and your PT's aim) aught to be on reducing your exercises to the bare minimum, instead of adding what is not necessary in your quest to have a mainly strength dominant type of a program.

I'm glad that I did not see the words muscle hypertrophy once in your post, even though there would be some carry over effect from doing a mainly strength focused program.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I have looked at training more then 3 days a week, however at the moment it just doesn't fit my lifestyle. I need to study for a few certifications, days I not training I'm studying. Also from what I've read, one being the beginners program by PTC 3days a week should be enough to hit these goals. When my study is compete I will be able to increase my days at the gym and am hoping to because I enjoy it

I thought that this program was fairly minimal it turns of little accessory work.

My thoughts are I will grow as I get stronger and I don't want to be strong more then big.

Its just stronglifts 5x5 with a set routine for the optional accessory work..

just do stronglifts and add your own accesory work as you please, keep it simple, track the main shit

youll get strong with the straight 5x5 and youll look damn good adding dips, pull ups and lunges as accessory

Its just stronglifts 5x5 with a set routine for the optional accessory work..

just do stronglifts and add your own accesory work as you please, keep it simple, track the main shit

youll get strong with the straight 5x5 and youll look damn good adding dips, pull ups and lunges as accessory

I was looking at swapping out some of the accessory work like skulls to dips and BOR to pull updates on dead lift day so I can go to complete failure. I figured at this point though I want to do the program as written for a couple of months (finished one month now) and see how it's working for me.

Hey mate, I found this to be a good program for building up to your goal 1rms.
I recommend you stick to it and reassess where you are in 6 months. You may even achieve some of your goals in that time too! (Took me a lot longer though, too much BB stuff)

Hey mate, I found this to be a good program for building up to your goal 1rms.
I recommend you stick to it and reassess where you are in 6 months. You may even achieve some of your goals in that time too! (Took me a lot longer though, too much BB stuff)

Thanks for the info on it, good to hear how people went on it. I have spent the last 12 months doing mainly body building programs. After that time I realsied that my driving force was more along the lines of how much stronger I am getting then anything else.