• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Starting strength training

Gauche

Ok I've decieded to start strength training after hitting my goal weight of 100 I think it's time to move my focus to compounds etc.

My current lifts are bad... I know..
Squat- 140x6 reps (haven't tested 1rm)
Deadlift-170 (going up by 5 every week still)
Bench- 102.5x4 reps

New goals... Hopefully by Febuary
Squat-160 at reps
Deadlift-200
Bench- 130

Where do I start? PPP again? I found if I was choosing weights to high or to low all the time as my deadlift just keeps going up quicker then PPP allows. PPP works real good with bench. Should I just thrash the weights for a bit on a mark ripptoe style program until my deadlift and squat are more PPP friendly?

I assume strength training require "mixing it up" just as often as bodybuilding? Advice from experts please what should I be doing?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good work so far Gaucheharbor,
If you can add weight each week then just keep going with linear progression until you stall then move onto a % based program.

I highly endorse the bill Starr / Riptoe template.

The 5x5 approach is easy and adjustable for your needs.

Who woulda thought that 50 years on....bill was right?!
Posted via Mobile Device

At 100kg, his lifts arent bad, but they could be much better

I agree it's time to stop pissing around and getting some good numbers.

So what should I be doing?

5x5 of all compounds 4 times a week? With assistance?

Lifting speeds? I'm use to slow movements 2-3 seconds on the reps that has to change doesn't it?

People talk about speed work on things like the bench press?

I really am completly lost when it cones to a strength routine so all help is gold to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

You've always been strength training :D
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm moving my focus to strength.. I haven't done a bicep curl in two months lol the only strength I ever cared about was bench press and it's lagging behind on my other lifts a but now.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're kidding right?

Nope at 100kg I should be pushing much more. There is a guy I train with over 20kg lighter benching 140 and it's time I put a stop to that. I can squat more then him now though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good work so far Gaucheharbor,
If you can add weight each week then just keep going with linear progression until you stall then move onto a % based program.

Thanks Shane can you explain in more detail?
Posted via Mobile Device

I highly endorse the bill Starr / Riptoe template.

The 5x5 approach is easy and adjustable for your needs.

Who woulda thought that 50 years on....bill was right?!
Posted via Mobile Device

I too like to riptoe template but I haven't read anything about bill star. I'll get reading in my spare time today. Is that what you do PB? 5x5?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
What Shane means is, for example if you do 5 reps at bench pressin 105, the next session you can simply add more weight and do 5 reps at 107.5kg; another rep (totally 6) reps or another set.

Even in the above example if you do 3 sets of 5 reps 105, the next session you could simply do 107.5kg for 5 reps in the third set, with the others being of 105. This approach is not optimal, but it does work though. Just the long way around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok thanks.

Also powercleans? Never done them I spose I should be taking them up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok thanks.

Also powercleans? Never done them I spose I should be taking them up?
Posted via Mobile Device

You dont need to pick them up. There's two main benefits to the pwr clean, one being it balances your chest:back strength ratio. You could do this with things such as bent over rows for example.

The second plus for doing cleans is that their explosive and great for people who need to be quick 'off the blocks':
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can increase weight on all lifts each time you train, then just do that.
3 set of 5.
go up by 2.5kg on bench and OHP and 5kg on dead and squat (if you can), then reduce them to increases of 2.5kg too.

if/when you fail to get all 3 sets of 5, then start to look at other things like PPP or 5-3-1 or texas method etc (all the % based templates)