• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squats & their variations.

irishjoe

So when i joined the gym i went through the typical routine, some guy writes you a program and you follow it until it bores you to tears. I decided to do my own research and learn what i wanted to do seeing as the exercises being shown to me were not the ones i saw the seasoned lifters around me doing.

I've got a good grip on every one of the advised lifts covered but the squat.

The highest i've gone here is 80kg squat and i found it quite uncomfortable on many levels, not that it was too heavy but my knee which has gone under 2 surgeries seemed unstable, holding the weight on the back of me and the shoulder strain i got from holding the bar. Are these common and just teething issues for a first timer? should i lower the weight? i was hesitant to do so because i didnt feel like my quads had been pushed.

on another note, i changed to the front squat today and found that to be alot more comfortable and natural movement for me and i felt as thiugh i was working harder.

are these 2 interchangeable or is there no way out of the conventional squat?

So when i joined the gym i went through the typical routine, some guy writes you a program and you follow it until it bores you to tears. I decided to do my own research and learn what i wanted to do seeing as the exercises being shown to me were not the ones i saw the seasoned lifters around me doing.

I've got a good grip on every one of the advised lifts covered but the squat.

The highest i've gone here is 80kg squat and i found it quite uncomfortable on many levels, not that it was too heavy but my knee which has gone under 2 surgeries seemed unstable, holding the weight on the back of me and the shoulder strain i got from holding the bar. Are these common and just teething issues for a first timer? should i lower the weight? i was hesitant to do so because i didnt feel like my quads had been pushed.

on another note, i changed to the front squat today and found that to be alot more comfortable and natural movement for me and i felt as thiugh i was working harder.

are these 2 interchangeable or is there no way out of the conventional squat?

Yes & no. yes the front & back squat are inerchangeable. Both still require you to squat a heavy load. The front squat will just produce a slightly different effect than the back squat.

2 knee surguries? Man that's gotta suck. How were you holding the bar in your back squat? how were you holding the bar when doing a front squat? Hunt down an image on google images if you need to!

p.s. the front squat is awesome!!

Yes & no. yes the front & back squat are inerchangeable. Both still require you to squat a heavy load. The front squat will just produce a slightly different effect than the back squat.

2 knee surguries? Man that's gotta suck. How were you holding the bar in your back squat? how were you holding the bar when doing a front squat? Hunt down an image on google images if you need to!

p.s. the front squat is awesome!!

I certaintly felt the difference between the two thats for sure.

I was holding the bar on what i believe to be my 'muscle shelf' alot of the guides tell you to do, but man i still found it uncomfourtable and i have an enormous respect for anyone squatting heavy loads after my initial attempts. With the front squat i was holding it with the criss cross form and resting it over my shoulders. Just felt alot more natural and i could feel the quads pushing from the ATG position, which is what was missing in my back squat attempts.

Apart from the initial balancing act i enjoyed what i got from the front squat.

If it feels better just front squat, as long as you have some posterior chain work coming from somewhere else you will be fine.

Are you low bar squatting or high bar squatting?

whatever you're doing try the opposite and come back to us.

from reading / watching after reading what you posted it would seem i've been doing the high bar, will try the low bar in a few days, might make things easier, cheers.

mate, the picture below (IMO) is a much better way to front squat..........

overhead-press-correc-technique.jpg

true

okie dokie, can you tell me why that one is better then the arms crossed version? i dont have any preference it's just the one i saw being used most commonly.

a lot of people wanna be king kong and lift 10000000000kg squats 3 times thats also ok but try change it up give your knees a rest from heavy ass weights and squat anywhere from 12-20 reps would be good same goes with bench people wanna bench real heavy doing that most of the time your form would suck but once again heavy for bench then change things up ligh bench more reps it changes your workout intensity and enhances growth