• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squat 5 times a week

pumpedup86

Does or has anyone squatted 5 days a week? Jim wendler has a routine in his 2nd book where you squat 5 days a week, how ever he does mention the fact you need to use caution.

Curious to see how people went and if they are still alive :p

How many times a week are you squatting now and how are you progressing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent squatted 5 times a week, I squat twice, sometimes 3, and it works well for me.

I know fuzzy used to do stints with double day squatting, he squatted 272.5kg, 19yo and 90-something-kg.

... how ever he does mention the fact you need to use caution.

If someone want to squat 5 times a week, and I mean really murder their legs like they want growth every week, they better be prepared to sleep 10 hours a day, eat like a horse, and (hopefully) be on the juice and be well under 30 years old. Otherwise, their life will be an empty vessel man and they will feel like shit.

IMHO, nothing hurts your whole body like full deep squats and to make your body do them 5 times a week?!?!?

good luck... :eek:

Most I ever did was 3 times on the beginner routine. But can't see why not, plenty do, I suppose it depends on how you can recover/adapt to it. I like twice a week mostly, one heavy one lighter.

I would only use high frequency with lower intensity ie 3x3 of 60-70% 1RM and work up to 1RMs then repeat. it's not optimal for size but if it suits you, you can get stronger on it quickly. Pavel Tsatouline likes the method and calls it greasing the groove. Think of it as neural work over musculature work.

You don't need to do it but if you like the idea then go for it. I usually add a day or two of volume work for size and assistance work, probably only a day for lower body.

Similar to what everyone has said here I can't see
how you can do be honest.

I can do if I want 3x a week. and that's pushing it.

After my Monday squat's it takes my legs about 2 days
to even come close to recovery. I generally hobble around
until the the Wednesday.

Devante.

Don't see why it couldn't be done especially if the sessions aren't overly intense or intensity varies between sessions.

Smolov base cycle is 3 weeks of 4 day a week starting at 70 -85 % ramping up to the third week 70-85% + 15kg.I did it and it was brutal but the legs adapted quick.

I think alot depends on the intensity, weight progression etc if you were planning on squatting 5 days a week short term.

It is easily possible but it's unlikely to be necessary or optimal for most people.

After reading some Bulgarian training stuff I just wanted to give it a go and see what happened.

I squatted 7 times a week with some days even squatting twice a day. After a couple weeks of adapting to it my squat started going up pretty quick and going in and squatting becomes second nature.

You don't need to be on gear or be sleeping huge amounts or having no life outside lifting. Obviously those things would help but they will help any training. I was even cutting at the same time. I enjoyed it and would have done it for longer but footy training was starting so I went back to squatting twice a week.

Not 5 times but I'm currently in third week of Smolov base cycle which is 4x a week. Yes, eating and sleeping lots for recovery. Lots of fish oil for the joints also.

Muscle recovery wise, I seem pretty fine with it. It would be the joints (knees) that would stop me from doing this long term.

In saying that, after only 2 weeks my calculated 1rm is now at 174kg (will test legit next week) and I started at 160kg.

Been hitting the foam roller pretty much every day too but quads are just pumped 24/7 at the moment :p

It is easily possible but it's unlikely to be necessary or optimal for most people.

After reading some Bulgarian training stuff I just wanted to give it a go and see what happened.

I squatted 7 times a week with some days even squatting twice a day. After a couple weeks of adapting to it my squat started going up pretty quick and going in and squatting becomes second nature.

You don't need to be on gear or be sleeping huge amounts or having no life outside lifting. Obviously those things would help but they will help any training. I was even cutting at the same time. I enjoyed it and would have done it for longer but footy training was starting so I went back to squatting twice a week.

Good post, I squat everyday, it works and you dont need to be on super supps or any of that horseshit to do it. If you cant do it it just means you are not adapted to it yet. The legs of any muscle group in my experience adapt faster than anything. DOMS is never an issue although my elbows and knees are trouble sometimes but other that that all I have to show for it is +40kg on my squat since sept last year.

Fuuuaaaarrrkkk, I thought there was only six days in a week.

Which club do you play for big Bazza?
My future son in law plays for sorrento.

Not weighted,

But with Muay thai, And begginer wieghts program.

3 or 4 times a week weighted squats.

Then a typical session of an evening, Mabey 100 squats per day,

Then another 50 so conditiong in the mornings