• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Spurilina

My mate who is a duathlon competitor and distance runner reckons its the ducks nuts. No idea what it is like for muscle growth though? I guess it comes down to the absorption rate of the protien....

im actually more interested in it for its reported health benefits/antioxidants and all that jazz. the fact that it is 60% protein (and complete) is just an added benefit...

im not usually into that kind of stuff, but apparently you only need like 10g a day. that seems pretty damn cheap at $57/kg then for something that lasts you around 3-4 months

You would have to cap the powder, it taste horrible. I had powder once..Don't think of mixing it with your protein shakes.

im actually more interested in it for its reported health benefits/antioxidants and all that jazz. the fact that it is 60% protein (and complete) is just an added benefit...

im not usually into that kind of stuff, but apparently you only need like 10g a day. that seems pretty damn cheap at $57/kg then for something that lasts you around 3-4 months

Spirilina is pretty amazing! It's a complete protein and gram for gram one of the highest. But more importantly it is a decent source of Iron(the best after polar bear liver), beta carotene and GLA.
It also does have some B12 analogues, which mimic B12 without being B12, so if you are a vego you can potentially use spirilina as a source..
It is also amazing for cholophyll and quite alkaline which can aid in acid buffering, bascially allowing you get tolerate more lactic acid and get more reps out..(= more size/strength, etc) i've read some interesting research on bicarb soda and its effects on our swimmers and people have almost been able to replicate it through a more alkaline diet.. win, win..

The only downside is the cost which you can get around by going to http://www.herbwholesalers.com/ rather than forking out $150 for a kg. Don't get the caps.. a waste of time IMHO.
Take it(1-3 teaspoons) with OJ to increase the iron absoption, plus work on the taste a little.

Good luck!

anyone use this or recommend this?

Bulk Powders Australia

I use this, it's probably the most expensive brand in the world but I would be willing to pay even more for it.

Nutrex, Spirulina Pacifica, Hawaiian, Powder, 5 lbs (2.27 kg) - iHerb.com

[YOUTUBE]IwjO-1bsE_c[/YOUTUBE]

I'd suggest you try the small size first Nutrex, Pure Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica Powder, 16 oz (454 g) - iHerb.com and see how you like it. I mix mine with banana and lots of other goodies.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Spirilina is pretty amazing! It's a complete protein and gram for gram one of the highest. But more importantly it is a decent source of Iron(the best after polar bear liver)

Please let's not mix haem iron with nonhaem iron. The animal (haem) iron's bioavailability is much higher than the nonhaem iron, whose absorption is regulated by requirements from our body.

This may sound as if I'm disappointed when the opposite is actually true.

You see, there’s something crucial one must consider here and that is the "way". What way is that? Well, as you know I'm sure, there is a vitamin called vitamin a and then there is something called provitamin A carotenoids. The body wants vitamin a as this is the end of the road so to speak. Well, you can eat polar bear liver, which is extremely high in vitamin a, so high in fact that if you eat enough of it you will develop hypervitaminosis A, that's vitamin A poisoning.

Now compare the above with a pro-vitamin A as found in carrots for example (or spirulina). Here, the "way"/pathway has dramatically changed. Here you're providing your body with the bricks, wood, glass, etc to build the house (vitamin A). Here your body is the engineer and you're only the supplier of raw materials. Here the body is a lot smarter than you and I in determining its need and rejecting what it views as being a surplus. You see, the aim is the same, but the "way" going about it is different.

Another critical point to consider (especially as you get older) is cancer and its association with iron. Iron is one of cancer's favourite foods. Again, I'm not speaking of nonhaem iron but the one that comes from red meat especially; hence I consume meat only occasionally (like once a month or so).

Fadi.

Last edited:
I use this, it's probably the most expensive brand in the world but I would be willing to pay even more for it.

Nutrex, Spirulina Pacifica, Hawaiian, Powder, 5 lbs (2.27 kg) - iHerb.com

[YOUTUBE]IwjO-1bsE_c[/YOUTUBE]

I'd suggest you try the small size first Nutrex, Pure Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica Powder, 16 oz (454 g) - iHerb.com and see how you like it. I mix mine with banana and lots of other goodies.

Fadi.

I like the look of the micro nutrients in that. Is there any reason you have chosen this brand over others? (benefits?)

I like the look of the micro nutrients in that. Is there any reason you have chosen this brand over others? (benefits?)
I've done my research and this is the one I trust. I always try to buy from manufacturers rather than suppliers, i.e. companies who put their own name brand on a given product.

I can buy spirulina that is manufactured in china for next to nothing but would not have it even if it was free. Why? Because if you chose to do your research on their product you would find they have nothing to declare for you to research.

India is another place where spirulina is manufactured. India rocks when it comes to certain herbs but spirulina does not fall into that category.

If an Australian supplier is willing to disclose where they've gotten their spirulina from, then one would be able to conduct some research and go from there, but I don't believe they do.

Press Releases

Hawaiian Spirulina & Spirulina Pacifica by MicrOrganics

Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica - the best in the world

PS: This is the product I take based on my own research and not on anything else.

Fadi.

Please let's not mix haem iron with nonhaem iron. The animal (haem) iron's bioavailability is much higher than the nonhaem iron, whose absorption is regulated by requirements from our body.

This may sound as if I'm disappointed when the opposite is actually true.

You see, there’s something crucial one must consider here and that is the "way". What way is that? Well, as you know I'm sure, there is a vitamin called vitamin a and then there is something called provitamin A carotenoids. The body wants vitamin a as this is the end of the road so to speak. Well, you can eat polar bear liver, which is extremely high in vitamin a, so high in fact that if you eat enough of it you will develop hypervitaminosis A, that's vitamin A poisoning.

Now compare the above with a pro-vitamin A as found in carrots for example (or spirulina). Here, the "way"/pathway has dramatically changed. Here you're providing your body with the bricks, wood, glass, etc to build the house (vitamin A). Here your body is the engineer and you're only the supplier of raw materials. Here the body is a lot smarter than you and I in determining its need and rejecting what it views as being a surplus. You see, the aim is the same, but the "way" going about it is different.

Another critical point to consider (especially as you get older) is cancer and its association with iron. Iron is one of cancer's favourite foods. Again, I'm not speaking of nonhaem iron but the one that comes from red meat especially; hence I consume meat only occasionally (like once a month or so).

Fadi.

:)
I didn't in even that many on here would even consider differentiating between heam and non haem or even beta carotene and vitamin A.
There is no way i recommend polar bear liver..:) just another "fun fact"

Last edited by a moderator: