• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Spotting

Kyle Aaron

After recent experiences in the gym, I think there really needs to be lessons for this for all people new to gyms. On the lesson schedule:
  • if you are between sets standing around staring into space, you are not "too busy" to spot
  • "spotting" means giving a tiny touch to the bar or arms when the person has stopped dead; it does not mean heaving up the other person's bar with a grunt on every rep
  • Guys, however hot you find the person you're spotting, no teabagging
  • the spotted person should say how many reps they want to do before any weight is moved, and the spotter should listen, not letting them wuss out early or pushing them hard past that
  • if you need a spot on your first set, you are doing too much weight. Spotting is for the last 1 or 2 reps of the last 1 or 2 work sets.
What else?

Edit: I edit the list to account for what others have said... if I agree with it :p

Last edited:
not ingoring the person who you are spotting... i hate the guys who say how many reps, when i was trying 5x5, i would be like uh just 5 reps, then i would do them and they guy i asked once to spot was like come on you can get 8 or 9 push it and he physically pushed the weight back from where i was going to rest it made me fail at about 8 reps and i was like wtf man i wanted 5 i gotta do another 3 sets of 5 reps?? so yeh people who listen to their partner is important.

Disagree with 1st piont Kyle.
I like to have a stretch, drink of water, adjust my weight, log my diary and think about my next set between sets. I have no time to spot. I don't use spotters and really do not wish to spot anyone. If I get asked I will help but i won't offer.

2nd point makes pretty good sense.

My rule of thumb, if you need a spotter from the first rep of the first set you are going way too heavy.Maybe on the last set for the last few reps or to break through that barrier.
I`m not going to waste my time on some tosser who just wants to put on a show.I will help out if asked (but not by a tosser) as well.If they want a spotter they can work out with a mate.

As for lessons,gym etiquette wouldn`t go astray on some.

Stuff spotting etiquette. What about towels? Since when did they become an optional extra?

And why do some people have to 'save' every piece of equipment, not let anyone work in, and spend most of their time walking around the weights contemplating their next move?

Stuff spotting etiquette. What about towels? Since when did they become an optional extra?
Start your own thread! :p

And why do some people have to 'save' every piece of equipment, not let anyone work in, and spend most of their time walking around the weights contemplating their next move?
That's bad enough, but it's even worse when they're sitting there chatting to a friend, whether in person or on their mobile.

But perhaps we do need a general gymiquette thread?

I would consider spotting the job of standing behind a person to help out on the last rep if that person failed. This is merely for safety in the case where a person is using heavy weights in exercises where failure could lead to considerable inconvenience. This is the most anyone should expect of a stranger upon request.

Helping a person finish a rep with a touch of the hand or assisting that person to do 1 or more reps after they have already reached failure is the job of a training partner and they are called forced reps, not spotted reps. I have no interest in helping strangers out with this type of assistance.

Personally I don't do forced reps anymore. They can quickly lead to overtraining and injury.

I train early morning when spotters are impossible to find so I've become very independent and can manage very well without them. I bench heavy without collars so if I ever failed on my last rep I could dump the plates. It hasn't happened yet.

I agree with Shrek. In between sets I am usually absolutely hammered, it is all I can do to stand up straight and get my energy back. Body building isn't a team sport, if I wanted some friends I would play soccer. I also wouldn't trust a spotter who I didn't know, anyway.

The whole question of spotters should be moot anyway. The cage was invented by Belvedere Cage in 1923 and has rendered these use of spotters obsolete since.

i only really like a spotter if i am going on a last set and really really want to push it out heavier and hard. Otherwise, yes a spotter can be annoying as they sometimes feel the urge to take over and rip the weight off you even though you do not want them to.

There used to be a bloke at a gym I went to in the mid 90's who used to get up close to spot people on the bench press and almost sit his nuts on their forehead... It used to drive people crazy, but I don't think he knew what he was doing because no-one ever confronted him about it. They would just tell him they didn't need to be spotted when he came over.

I think the worst I've seen is the gay son of an aerobics instructor get behind one of the regulars who was sitting on a flat bench doing a shoulder press. He pushed himself right into the back of the regular and held him under the arms. At first the regular must have thought it was a chick, but when he realised he did his block. That was the last time the gay son was allowed in the gym.

No teabagging is especially relevant is someone is wearing split shorts, which should be banned unless you are a serious runner anyway. So need to add no spotting by people who wear short running shorts with splits up the side.