• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sport and gambling

DKD

Private Dancer
Back in the 90s I used to enjoy playing Pick The Margins for rugby league, but generally speaking I dislike gambling on sports and don't do any at all these days.

I've actually gone full circle and would like to see it banned completely. There is too much scope for sporting contests to be corrupted when large amounts of money involved. We've seen it in a number of sports....cricket in particular has had it's integrity massively tarnished. I've heard recently about Asian crime syndicates having interest in the A-League.

With all the problems with Indian bookmakers and cricket, I would've thought some measures would've been taken by authorities to restrict sports gambling. Instead it just seems to be getting more and more prevalent. I keep seeing these '365' ads with Samuel L Jackson, and Channel 9 cricket is full of gambling bullshit, and that pencil neck Tom Waterhouse dude is all over the TV recently. Fuaaaarrrk. Get rid of them.

My question to you:

Do you think the government should get more involved in regulating sports gambling? Or even consider banning it? I know the latter won't happen. I'm guessing they get some revenue from some of these sources, so I'm fairly realistic on that score.

I just think that sport is such a huge part of Australian culture, enjoyed by millions and supported with funding by the government, that they have some responsibility to actively protect it's integrity.

Watchoo think on that?

gambling with overseas syndicates etc has been happening for years and goes back to early days of organised crime...

The biggest issue i have (and i like to punt on the horses and some sporting events like cricket football etc etc etc) is the amount of advertising been forced upon you at every turn, footshow will show the odds of games, cricket commentary throws in odds for certain things etc, this is what is causing the biggest problems for everyone.

The other big one i dont like is the "exotic" type bets, for example, in cricket the 5th delivery of the next over will be a 4 or a no ball, first scorer etc etc, these are the bets especially in team sports where it lends itself to corruption, not so much the win and margin betting.

yeah, but Tom Waterhouse knows what punters want.

I cant stand that bloke! HOw can him & karl stephanovic be on the footy?!?!?
They are the two most un-rugby-league men around!!

As for betting, i have a an account with betezy and tab. Im in a syndicate with mates and we bet each week on the rugby union only. I find it fun, but can see where games can be decided becuase one or two guys put a nice exotic on like first scoring play is a penalty etc... See Ryan Tandy for example (that went wrong anyway lol)

the advertising at every break does get to me too....

you can even bet on share prices

Should follow the yanks (like for NFL) on this one and keep the betting off the tv and sports broadcasts.

you can even bet on share prices

Should follow the yanks (like for NFL) on this one and keep the betting off the tv and sports broadcasts.

Whats the point of betting on share prices vs buying the shares or call / put options on them?

There was TAB ads for the WA state election with libs at 1.02 and labor at $11.

Back in the 90s I used to enjoy playing Pick The Margins for rugby league, but generally speaking I dislike gambling on sports and don't do any at all these days.

I've actually gone full circle and would like to see it banned completely. There is too much scope for sporting contests to be corrupted when large amounts of money involved. We've seen it in a number of sports....cricket in particular has had it's integrity massively tarnished. I've heard recently about Asian crime syndicates having interest in the A-League.

With all the problems with Indian bookmakers and cricket, I would've thought some measures would've been taken by authorities to restrict sports gambling. Instead it just seems to be getting more and more prevalent. I keep seeing these '365' ads with Samuel L Jackson, and Channel 9 cricket is full of gambling bullshit, and that pencil neck Tom Waterhouse dude is all over the TV recently. Fuaaaarrrk. Get rid of them.

My question to you:

Do you think the government should get more involved in regulating sports gambling? Or even consider banning it? I know the latter won't happen. I'm guessing they get some revenue from some of these sources, so I'm fairly realistic on that score.

I just think that sport is such a huge part of Australian culture, enjoyed by millions and supported with funding by the government, that they have some responsibility to actively protect it's integrity.

Watchoo think on that?

I wouldnt bet on it, aye!

There really is a problem with professional sport in general and I believe it's just going to get worse, it's too far gone to get any better I'm afraid.

Until everybody understands that professional televised/ broadcasted sport is business first, entertainment second, then things would change for the better.

The other big one i dont like is the "exotic" type bets, for example, in cricket the 5th delivery of the next over will be a 4 or a no ball, first scorer etc etc, these are the bets especially in team sports where it lends itself to corruption, not so much the win and margin betting.

Agree 100%. Those exotic bets almost give you the impression that they were invented solely to give the crims an easier platform to do their extortion and coercion tricks. Very dodgy.

Gambling advertising is way out of control. My sons are 7 and 13 and they already have an in depth knowledge of gambling and odds due to seeing it in every sports game. My 7 tear old one day asked me what odds he would get to hit the third ball I bowled him over the backyard fence.

This is disturbing. Should be banned just like cigarette advertising.

I haven't gambled in sport for years other than footy tipping contests.

I gave up on the p0ni's a few years back.

I used to bet madly on the trots until I found out that the driver's used to collaborate on the results.

Cheaters. Grrrr